Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No 12 DVD-RAM for europe

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Postby Dartman on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:57 pm

I would really like to try a 5 pack in my 182d and whatever else I might get sooner or later. Withholding technology products just helps stifle the market and I'm willing to take the risk with my burners. What's the point of introducinng ever higher speed drives then not releasing the media they need to actually be used at those speeds?
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:41 pm

Last edited by Spazmogen on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby bill on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:31 am

Almost every time that I go to a retail computer store I ask a sales clerk when they will stock the 12x Maxell DVD-RAM. Almost every clerk replies that they didn't know that 12x media exists or that they get a request for Maxell 12x a few times a week.

@ Maxell

It would be nice and appreciated if Maxell would make the media available in North America & Europe, even if it's of a limited scale as a trial run... I understand the concern about compatibility but that concern applies to any media and it isn't a concern of mine. Forums like this and a Google search resolve those issues rather quickly.

Maxell, I'm not sure why you're resistant to introducing the product. If you're concerned about sales volume, how about you give us a chance? At the 6/12x write speed DVD-RAM is much more attractive.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Bill

P.S. Dolph, what concerns me is that many people lurk in the background in forums like this and won't mention their wishes. Thank you for your efforts!

If you can swing it, I'm in for ten or fifteen pieces on the initial purchase.
bill
bill
CD-RW Supplier

Postby Ian on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:56 am

I think that part of the problem is that stores in the US aren't stocking a lot of rewriable media. I have yet to see 8x DVD+RW or 6x DVD-RW media in retail stores and DVD-RAM media has all but disappeared. With this in mind, I can see why they're hesitant to bring it over here. Then again, if people had a better selection, maybe they'd use more rewritable media.

On a semi-related not, I'm currently testing a drive that supports 12x DVD-RAM media. It's having major issues with it too but the engineers at the company can't reproduce the problems because they can't get the media. #-o
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:14 pm

Ian wrote:On a semi-related not, I'm currently testing a drive that supports 12x DVD-RAM media. It's having major issues with it too but the engineers at the company can't reproduce the problems because they can't get the media. #-o

LOL that's a good one.

which drive, BTW ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:19 pm

I echo the comments above and would purchase the media if it were available.

Jim
Jim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 pm

dodecahedron wrote:which drive, BTW ?

AOpen DSW1812P.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:51 am

Ian wrote:AOpen DSW1812P.

OT: Is that a LiteOn rebadge? If so, could you check if it works with DVDScan?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby agomes on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:20 pm

I hope Maxell reconsiders this policy, as saying that they will not sell the product "for compatibility reasons" is an unbelievable argument.

I'm sure that if there is no problem in the japanese market, european users are also able to understand that the 12x discs are not compatible with 5x Max burners.

12x drives/discs don't offer only advantages, as the high rotation of the discs and the fact that only the bare discs will be available will mean a shorter life to the media - therefore, byby 100,000 writing times.
And, as the disc keeps writing on the "background" of the system a considerable number of users will not trade realiability by speed increase, and Maxell will be able to sell the "older" discs for some time yet.

BY the way, on the top of 12x it would be good to find the 5x media with no problem.
agomes
agomes
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:34 pm

agomes wrote:BY the way, on the top of 12x it would be good to find the 5x media with no problem.

5x DVD-RAM is available from both Maxell and Verbatim, and any Maxell of Verbatim distributor can get access to them. It's only the retail stores that won't pick them up.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:47 pm

I've just received a note that our plea is being investigated by Head Office.

That's a good thing I think :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:07 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I've just received a note that our plea is being investigated by Head Office.

That's a good thing I think :)

Thanks for trying for us!
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:27 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
agomes wrote:BY the way, on the top of 12x it would be good to find the 5x media with no problem.

5x DVD-RAM is available from both Maxell and Verbatim, and any Maxell of Verbatim distributor can get access to them. It's only the retail stores that won't pick them up.

That's annoying too since all you can really find easily (and semi-cheaply) in the US is still 2-3x media... YEARS later. :P
Justin42
CD-RW Player

DVD-RAM 5x media

Postby oxtsd04 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:00 pm

I just bought some Panasonic DVD-RAM 5x single sided 4.7GB media from a company called Atlanta Network Technologies, Inc via Amazon.com. Their tag line on Amazon is antonline_com. A 3 pack costs $5.60 plus shipping and handling. These are non-cartridge. I just received mine and have been playing around with one in my SONY DRU-830A DVD drive which supports DVD-RAM 12x. So far it works great. I ordered two 3 packs. The Panasonic part number is LH-HC47MU3.
oxtsd04
Buffer Underrun

Re: DVD-RAM 5x media

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:03 pm

oxtsd04 wrote:A 3 pack costs $5.60 plus shipping and handling. These are non-cartridge.

That's actually a pretty good deal. Thanks for the heads up oxtsd04 and welcome to CDRLabs!
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:44 am

Yeah, 5x is much easier to find now that Verbatim, Maxell and Panasonic all sell it in North America. I'm still working on getting Maxell to release some 12x though.

I sent them the CDRlabs article posting of Digitimes' comments on 12x DVD-RAM becoming mainstream in 2007. Hopefully that will help in my efforts to convince them.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 am

as per dolphin's request:

Dear Maxell representative:

I am very much interested in acquiring and using 12x DVD-RAM media. Indeed 12x DVD-RAM was a major consideration when I made the purchase of my DVDRW drive, I specifically chose a model that has 12x DVD-RAM capability as opposed to other models supporting only 5x speed. Moreover the 12x DVD-RAM speed was what actually prompted the purchase of a new DVD burner.

Needless to say I am very dismayed with Maxell's current decision not to market this media outside of Japan. This leave me with no way to use this feature of the drive, which like I said was the main reason I bought it. To be honest I'm rather vexed at Maxell for supplying test media to drive manufacturers to test and calibrate their drives on, and thereby enable them to promote the drive as supporting this feature, and then have the rug pulled from under my feet, so to speak, by not supplying the media to the market.

Please take this under advisement.
Thanks in advance for letting me buy your media :D

Reguarding Dolphinius_rex's offer of importing 5-packs of this media, i would be intersted in getting one or two of these, perhaps more, depending on costs.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby giop on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm

it seems that the battle is lost.. Or not?! i've found an online store that ships the so-desired 12x DVD-RAM media to the US and Europe.
Unfortunately the price is high, since these discs come directly from Japan..
Anyway the store is called "audiocubes", add a "www" and a ".com" and you'll find it. Hope i don't break any rules with that.
BTW,does anyone know what taxes will i have to pay if i order something from the US(i'm in EU)?
giop
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:41 pm

I wonder what the markup is at audiocubes. I can't imagine those discs cost $12 a pop in Japan. Figure in shipping and it costs nearly $20 a disc.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby giop on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:09 pm

yep, it's too expensive. i would buy a couple though if it was a european store. i don't feel like buying from the US, since i haven't done it before and i don't want to end up paying something like 40 euros for 4GB... who knows what happens with the customs.
Anyway, i hope this thread keeps up and, who knows, if not Maxwell someone else may do something.
time to go to bed...
giop
Buffer Underrun

Postby evilboy on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 am

giop wrote:Anyway, i hope this thread keeps up and, who knows, if not Maxwell someone else may do something.
Imation!
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=198043
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby evilboy on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:51 am

Ian wrote:I wonder what the markup is at audiocubes. I can't imagine those discs cost $12 a pop in Japan. Figure in shipping and it costs nearly $20 a disc.
Well, technically it does (almost).

Amazon has them for ¥1,113 (approximately $9.19).
Add the shipping from Japan to audiocubes...
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby giop on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:19 am

evilboy wrote:
giop wrote:Anyway, i hope this thread keeps up and, who knows, if not Maxwell someone else may do something.
Imation!
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=198043

i can't find anything about Imation in the link you posted,only a comment by a user that i cannot understand
{If Imation also sell 12x DVD-RAM (as implied by the pics)}
what pics exactly?
Anyway,i did a little search and found this:
http://www.imation.com/support/retired.html
So,i think we are not lucky enough..yet
It's funny though that a 12x dvd-ram is as fast as an external USB hard drive and faster than a standard flash disk and still companies don't care in doing any promotion at all!

So, does anyone know if Mount Rainier is worth? It would save me two minutes in each burn comparatively with a 5x dvd-ram.
giop
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Hello Maxell !

Please send some 12X DVD-RAM to North America!

I know of MULTIPLE people that have bought 12X DVD-RAM media from ebay importers or purchased 12X DVD-RAM through friends that live in Japan.

I'm sure that a North American online media shop would sell a decent amount of this media if it was available here.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby giop on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Wesociety wrote:Hello Maxell !

Please send some 12X DVD-RAM to North America!

Please add Europe to your request =D>
At least one european online store who ships across Europe!
It really doesn't make sense the fact that Maxell has left hungry a HUGE MARKET ,N.America and Europe.
giop
Buffer Underrun

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion