Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Anyone Pick Up A PS3?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Anyone Pick Up A PS3?

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 pm

I was going to hit up a store or two this morning but after seeing the tents outside of Walmart and Best Buy I didn't bother. Anyone have any luck?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:58 pm

I didn't go for it. The only reasonable way to get one was preorder, and even then, what with Sony cutting their release figures, I'm sure a few people were disappointed.

If I had bought one, it'd be on Ebay right now for either a 1-day or 3-day auction. Started at a fair price, however seeing how people are falling all over themselves (apparently one just sold for $3600) to get one, I'm sure the market would drive the price way up. I'd love to pay off 2% of my mortgage by selling one PS3.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:22 pm

There was a video from Wisconsin on CNN. It looks like they let people run to get the PS3's. Idiots..

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player. ... urce=money

Edit: better coverage - http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/vide ... etail.html
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby smartin4 on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:05 pm

The guy accused of pushing him actually got one of the PS3s, talk about messed up. You can hear the "clang" when he does the faceplant into the pole too, OUCH!!!

What a bunch of morons to get that into trying to get one. Worse than that, is WalMart actually doing this "promotion" in the age of lawsuits, why would you open yourself up to something like this? What ever happened to the old, first come, first serve, or do a raffle for them.

Worse yet, people paying $3600 for one on ebay. Sony is supposed to be shipping 600.000 more units by years end.

Let's see, wait 2 or 3 weeks and pay retail, or pay $3600 now. I think I would jsut wait in that case. (Personally, I hate consoles for gaming, so I am looking at this from a different point of view I guess)
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby ruderacer on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 pm

This PS3 craze is just down right stupid. I can't believe that people act like idiots just to say, I'm the first dumb f*cking moron in the block to have one. One of these days someone is really going to get hurt or maybe even killed. These companies should not allow these people to camp overnight. If I thought of getting one, I would wait till all the morons are gone!
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 pm

smartin4 wrote:Worse yet, people paying $3600 for one on ebay. Sony is supposed to be shipping 600.000 more units by years end.

I'll believe it when I see it. They weren't even able to ship the 400k they promised for the US launch.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Morpheus on Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:00 pm

After I read the news story here, on another website they had another news story where in that case, a person got shot! This is getting way out of hand. [-o<
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:28 am

The wife and I stopped at Target on the way home tonite. There were a mob of people out there waiting for the Wii. It's either more popular than the PS3 or people are hoping to scalp the shit out of them.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Justin42 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:38 am

I can't imagine the Wii will really be worth too much money on Ebay, given there are no real supply issues expected. (Not saying some people won't make some profit, just not PS3 insane profit)

I don't get the PS3 thing either; I have notoriously bad luck with Sony products and getting to pay $599 for the privilege of getting one of their first tries at it seems insane. Not saying I would turn down a free one, just not much on the PS3 that interests me. I'm sure I'll have one in a few years when the price drops and more stuff has come out...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:16 pm

I heard one of my friends got a bank loan to buy some PS3's and put them on eBay, and he got one, which supposedly sold for $10K. I really don't believe that number though, waiting to hear it straight from his mouth.

Another friend went to a midnight opening at Toys R Us, and they had around 200 Wii's, and he was lucky enough to get one, but some people in line didn't towards the end.

Edit: Some idiot just used the buy it now for $10K, no one really bought it for that.
Last edited by aviationwiz on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Wesociety on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:10 pm

I tried at various times to scoop one up online (Costco, bestbuy, gamestop).
Each time I was unsuccessful.

My closest attempt happened at costco.com, where I was actually able to click the "add to cart" button, only to get a PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED error after waiting awhile.

doh!

The Wii may not supposed to be in short supply, but I've seen it sold out everywhere so far that I have looked...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Heh, the Wii deffinately sold out everywhere that I saw. Glad I got there 8 hours early for one! :wink:

My Story:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 144#162144
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:28 pm

I just read that someone bought a PS3 on ebay for $15,100!! Sorry, but's that's crazy. #-o
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:49 pm

Ian wrote:The wife and I stopped at Target on the way home tonite. There were a mob of people out there waiting for the Wii. It's either more popular than the PS3 or people are hoping to scalp the shit out of them.

There were some dorks, err, I mean people lining up at the Target by me on Saturday at 11 am trying to get a Wii.

WTF is wrong with people?

Wait until the store opens, if you get one great, if not, oh well. I can see getting there an hour early possibly.

And now, to segue into another phenomenon I just don't get:

With Black Friday coming, I know I am not even leaving the house this weekend, except to go get a pizza or something. People will line up many hours before the stores open, only to be caught in crowds and not be able to move by 7 am.

:roll:
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 pm

I have two things I'm picking up on Friday and they're both at Target:

Transformers Millenium Falcon - I'm not a big fan of the TF/SW crossover but for $15, I can't pass it up.

Star Wars Imperial Shuttle - supposedly this exclusive goes on sale on Friday. It's $60 but I gotta get it.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:40 pm

My little bro actually scored a PS3 this past Friday.
His girlfriend was out shopping at Target and happened to ask when the next shipment was coming in. The electronics department just got 2 units in at that moment. She bought the 20GB version and I will probably try to help them sell it on fleabay.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden