Home News Reviews Forums Shop

strange dye problems on ritek discs (pictures)

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

strange dye problems on ritek discs (pictures)

Postby yuki chan on Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:38 am

i guess this is bad defect management by the analyzer before it is packaged?

here are the pictures, found a few in a 100 pack of memorex branded media

yuki chan
CD-RW Thug

Location: Mesa Arizona, Hannover Germany, Bremerhaven Germany

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:05 am

i say this warrants a call to Memorex Customer Service.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby evilboy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:44 am

The thing in the upper left looks like it being splitted there.
I see similar marks when I split DVD+-Rs from the hub with a screwdriver.
Yes, Ritek's bonding is superhuman :lol:
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby RJW on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:37 am

Looks to be a airbuble.
It looks like dropping damage. Like the disc was dropped on that side on a hard surface. If it's bad bonded you will get air leakage which results in the above pictures.

Looks like Ritek these days is cutting costs on bonding because I'm seeing more problems on bonding with ritek. In the past Riteks bonding was really good but there were enough other problems. THese days I see less other problems but bonding slowly becomming as terrible as TY.
:o
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:49 am

My experience is that at least 16x TY is bonded ok.
I haven't gone through enough 4x and 8x TY discs, but the 16x TY bonding is ok, comparable to Verbatim/CMC.
TY seems to have fixed the bonding problems and seems to have traded it for other QC issues. :(
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby Scour on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:42 pm

Which Ritek-media is it, + or -, 16x?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:17 am

evilboy wrote:My experience is that at least 16x TY is bonded ok.
I haven't gone through enough 4x and 8x TY discs, but the 16x TY bonding is ok, comparable to Verbatim/CMC.
TY seems to have fixed the bonding problems and seems to have traded it for other QC issues. :(

Nah, they haven't fixed the bonding issues. They still won't even admit it *IS* an issue!! And their 16x media is just as bad as their 8x stuff. But I agree their general QC is going down as well.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Nah, they haven't fixed the bonding issues. They still won't even admit it *IS* an issue!! And their 16x media is just as bad as their 8x stuff. But I agree their general QC is going down as well.
I didn't notice any bonding issues with their 16x media. imo the bonding is at least ok. I had media which wasn't bonded as well as 16x TY was.
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby Scour on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 am

Maybe quality-influences?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:33 pm

evilboy wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Nah, they haven't fixed the bonding issues. They still won't even admit it *IS* an issue!! And their 16x media is just as bad as their 8x stuff. But I agree their general QC is going down as well.
I didn't notice any bonding issues with their 16x media. imo the bonding is at least ok. I had media which wasn't bonded as well as 16x TY was.

Well, generally Prodisc made media (except Prodisc made media for Verbatim) seems to be much worse then TY for bonding. Optodisc and Ritek are generally much better then TY. Maxell consumer line Japanese DVDRs are much MUCH worse then TY. But Maxell's high end Japanese media is deffinately much better.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:06 pm

yuki chan: That is really quite scary! Ritek's quality control (or lack thereof) really is terrible. I would definately complain to Memorex... I've heard they quite good about replacements.

As far as TY bonding quality goes, it certainly varies greatly. I wouldn't try to determine whether TY bonding is getting better or worse without taking a large sample of discs from as many sources as possible...

Also slight OT, I rescanned a few of my year old Fuji branded RICOHJPNR01 to find that some of them are failing at the edge. Considering I ALSO had some Sony branded RICOHJPNR01 fail on me, I have completely ruled out using anything made by Ritek for anything resembling important data. It makes me that much more skeptical of Maxell's recent deal with Ritek... :(
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:35 pm

[buck] wrote:Also slight OT, I rescanned a few of my year old Fuji branded RICOHJPNR01 to find that some of them are failing at the edge. Considering I ALSO had some Sony branded RICOHJPNR01 fail on me, I have completely ruled out using anything made by Ritek for anything resembling important data.
How many?
Given that RICOHJPN R01 gives good to excellent initial scans... :(

At least I haven't heard from TYG01 or YUDEN000 T01 degrading badly on the edge.
(if there are any, I technically still wasn't lying... :^o)
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby yuki chan on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:55 pm

the are -R

because of this being a bonding issue, can the discs shatter at high speeds ? I have had one disc shatter a while ago it was a cheap Bayer CD-R in a 52x Aopen CD burner (Sanyo chip set i think and AMK analog controller which does not do a smooth speed start algorithm)
yuki chan
CD-RW Thug

Location: Mesa Arizona, Hannover Germany, Bremerhaven Germany

Postby [buck] on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:35 pm

evilboy wrote:
[buck] wrote:Also slight OT, I rescanned a few of my year old Fuji branded RICOHJPNR01 to find that some of them are failing at the edge. Considering I ALSO had some Sony branded RICOHJPNR01 fail on me, I have completely ruled out using anything made by Ritek for anything resembling important data.
How many?
Given that RICOHJPN R01 gives good to excellent initial scans... :(

At least I haven't heard from TYG01 or YUDEN000 T01 degrading badly on the edge.
(if there are any, I technically still wasn't lying... :^o)

I believe I scanned 6 discs, and 3 of them had problems. I'll probably look into it further.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion