Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which is better, 8x dvd-r or 16x dvd-r Taiyo Yudens??

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Which is better, 8x dvd-r or 16x dvd-r Taiyo Yudens??

Postby mikej3131 on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:32 am

Lookin for some Taiyo Yudens because i heard they were the best. I want some DVD-R at 8x or 16x, which gives better burns and where can i get some real ones at?
mikej3131
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:08 am

Taiyo Yuden are very good in terms of compatability, but lately they have been losing their lustre in terms of longevity and consistant quality control. Their 8x DVDR media is by *FAR* superior to thier 16x media. Some good places to get real TY in the USA are www.rima.com and www.supermediastore.com. Some good places to get real TY in Canada are www.ncix.com and www.blankmedia.ca

Hope that helps :wink:

Personally, I use Verbatim and TY for regular stuff, but my most important stuff goes on Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs, which I would say are as far above Taiyo Yuden as Taiyo Yuden is above Ritek.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:30 pm

How about these?
http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=303
I recently bought 2x50 packs of Fujifilm 16x DVD-Rs which ended up being RITEKF1's. I can't seem to get a decent burn out of these at all; I've tried various speeds with my 1640 and H10N (results on the 1640 at 2.4x and 4x were just unbelieveably bad). The 100 of them only ended up costing me $30, so it's not a big loss. I mean I can still return the pack I didn't open. :)
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:35 am

Never buy Fuji anything.... at least not in North America, and especially Canada.

As for the TY product you linked to, it's Premium TY, so good compatability and inconsistant quality control... but still better then 16x TY.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Never buy Fuji anything.... at least not in North America, and especially Canada.

As for the TY product you linked to, it's Premium TY, so good compatability and inconsistant quality control... but still better then 16x TY.
So I should get rid of my 50 Fuji T02s soon?
The inconsistant quality control is worse with Value Line.
TY is still a head above Ritek, CMC and stuff like that.

Don't forget that 16x TY is one of the few media types which can be often burned at 18x with acceptable quality.
Other companies like TDK and CMC had problems with their 16x media too...
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby rahzel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:20 pm

Phoenix '97 wrote:How about these?
I recently bought 2x50 packs of Fujifilm 16x DVD-Rs which ended up being RITEKF1's. I can't seem to get a decent burn out of these at all; I've tried various speeds with my 1640 and H10N (results on the 1640 at 2.4x and 4x were just unbelieveably bad). The 100 of them only ended up costing me $30, so it's not a big loss. I mean I can still return the pack I didn't open. :)

i would check your local wal-mart for Sony MIJ DVD+R's (8x only); they should be YUDEN000T02. Sony branded TY generally has very good bonding (unlike OEM unbranded TY). they should be around 17 bucks for 50.
rahzel
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:34 pm

evilboy wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Never buy Fuji anything.... at least not in North America, and especially Canada.

So I should get rid of my 50 Fuji T02s soon?

Well, if it were *ME* I would only use them for unimportant stuff, and try to pawn them off on to people I don't care much for, or situations where I don't care if the disc will fail within 6 months to a year.

evilboy wrote:The inconsistant quality control is worse with Value Line.

Hrm, that's a tough one. I'd still take Value Line over Fuji personally, because at least I know what I'm ordering, as opposed to dealing with Fuji which could be Taiwanese or Japanese. I suppose the arguement could be made I should buy Fuji in store.... but that doesn't work into my schedule most of the time. Also keep in mind I don't ACTUALLY buy Valueline product.

evilboy wrote:TY is still a head above Ritek, CMC and stuff like that.

No argument on the Ritek, but CMC I'm not so sure about. In fact, I think CMC has proven no many occasions (most of them related to Verbatim perhaps) that they are capable of not only better quality 16x media, but even much more consistant then TY. Now it's also obvious that they don't ALWAYS do this, there is LOT'S of crap CMC out there... but the point I'm making is that CMC is quite capable of making a good and consistant product that can match or beat Taiyo Yuden's 16x DVD-R. I shouldn't have to argue CMC's 8x media quality I hope, especially their CMCMAGE01 (8x DVD+R).

evilboy wrote:Don't forget that 16x TY is one of the few media types which can be often burned at 18x with acceptable quality.
True, it's TY, Verbatim and Maxell (Japanese) that are generally capable of 18x recording.

evilboy wrote:Other companies like TDK and CMC had problems with their 16x media too...

It was CMC's MID code that caused most of the problems. The whole Taiwanese support problem is nothing new in this industry. Really, Taiyo Yuden is getting by mostly on reputation these days, and even that is beginning to fade. One look at how their 16x media started, and how their DVD-RDL media is STILL doing will show you that. But I suspect that Taiyo Yuden will quit the blank media business once DVD media begins to decline heavily.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Phoenix '97 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 pm

rahzel wrote:
Phoenix '97 wrote:How about these?

i would check your local wal-mart for Sony MIJ DVD+R's (8x only); they should be YUDEN000T02. Sony branded TY generally has very good bonding (unlike OEM unbranded TY). they should be around 17 bucks for 50.

All I can really find is RetailPlus media on the walmart.ca website.
What I have seen though are 16x Sony DVDs (I really can't remember whether they were +R or -R) at my university bookstore. These have that Accucore stuff. I think they were 50 pieces for $25. However, these too, are made in Taiwan.

What can be recommended from blankmedia.ca (ordered from there a year or two ago with good results) or places like FutureShop/BestBuy?
I use about 10-15 blank DVDs per month, wouldn't want stuff more a lot more expensive than 50 cents a disc (Canadian) before shipping and all.
I have the following recorders at my disposal:

BenQ 1640
NEC 2500A
NEC 3500A
LG H10N
Toshiba SD-R5002 (probably won't use this one for burning anymore ;) )
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby rahzel on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:01 pm

wal-mart's Canadian site does not show all of their items that sell in their stores. it may be difficult, but you may find some MIJ Sony 8x DVD+R's in store.

the Premium OEM TY at blankmedia will be ok too (for stuff that is not REALLY important); i was just suggesting a better alternative for TY media.

i would, however, recommend waiting for a sale on Verbatim DVDR's (preferably +R). they go on sale quite often at either Futureshop, Staples, The Source by CC, and even NCIX.com or DirectCanada.com (but shipping may kill the deal if you live outside BC).

if you go with Verbatim, they can be made by CMC or Prodisc and you'll want to avoid Prodisc made. you can determine if theyre CMC made by looking at the text for the "OPEN/LOCK" at the top of the cakeboxes. CMC uses a times new roman font and Prodisc uses an arial font.
rahzel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Phoenix '97 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:25 pm

I'll keep that in mind. :) However, the last batch of ProdiscS03 (and I think ProdiscF01 too) that I got were pretty good.
Phoenix '97
CD-RW Player

Postby hrbngr on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:12 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Personally, I use Verbatim and TY for regular stuff, but my most important stuff goes on Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs, which I would say are as far above Taiyo Yuden as Taiyo Yuden is above Ritek.

D-Rex,
where do you find those Maxell discs purchaseable in the US? Have you tested these discs in a BenQ DW1640 or LiteOn 165p6s?
hrbngr
CD-RW Thug

TYO CD'S AND DVD'S

Postby sternpro1 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Please don't spam. Read the forum rules before you advertise your own business again.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8914
sternpro1
Buffer Underrun

Postby frank1 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Personally, I use Verbatim and TY for regular stuff, but my most important stuff goes on Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs,
which I would say are as far above Taiyo Yuden as Taiyo Yuden is above Ritek.

Could you please tell us Europeans if there is an equivalent of these excellent Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs available here in Europe ?
Wich is the MID code and the real manufacturer of these Maxell BQ ?
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:46 am

You can get Maxell Xtreme Protek (Made in Japan, DVD+R: MAXELL 003, DVD-R: MXL RG04) instead. :)

I guess the Maxell BQ 8x DVD-R are MXL RG03.
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby Wesociety on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:07 pm

frank1 wrote:Could you please tell us Europeans if there is an equivalent of these excellent Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs available here in Europe ?
Wich is the MID code and the real manufacturer of these Maxell BQ ?

Maxell BQ = Maxell Broadcast Quality, which is always Made In Japan true Maxell media with a protective coating on the recordable surface. These discs also (supposedly) undergo a more strict quality control process compared to the "regular" consumer media. They do definitely charge more for them though.

Search for Maxell Broadcast Quality or call a Blank Media online shop in your area to see if they carry or can obtain these discs. 2nd Warning: they definitely cost more as they are aimed at the professional market.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:58 am

Maxell BQ 8x DVD-Rs are run on the same lines as Mori media is, which is sold in Japan. It's one of the last real Japanese Maxell DVDRs on the market, although there are also some High Grade 8x DVD±R 5pks being sold by Maxell in retail outlets as well.

In my opinion, the Maxell BQ is the best of the best, and it's what I use and recommend for the very most important uses. I don't believe there is a better product available anywhere in the world (although a few equivilants).

As was said though, you pay for it!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:18 am

For the people looking for cheap Maxell BQ in the US, you could try this.

As far as I can tell it's basically rebadged BQ for the medical market, and a discontinued product. The pictures indicate it comes in the same packaging as Mori :o
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:06 pm

I think the Broadcast Quality / Pro media is a bit overboard due to the high price (for consumers).

I prefer to go with the TY 8x or "regular" Maxell Made In Japan.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 am

Wesociety wrote:I think the Broadcast Quality / Pro media is a bit overboard due to the high price (for consumers).

I prefer to go with the TY 8x or "regular" Maxell Made In Japan.

I use those for regular applications that I don't need to be around for too too long. Regular Maxell media made in Japan has a habit of seperating just like TY anyways (and is impossible to find now on the consumer market). Also in this category is Optodisc :P

Important stuff goes on Verbatim (+R, non MAP6 code, or carefully tested MAP6 code). Very important goes on Maxell BQ.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:55 am

Yeah. Personally, I have spindles of TY 8x and spindles of Verbatim 16x that I use for most of my storage.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:59 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Important stuff goes on Verbatim (+R, non MAP6 code, or carefully tested MAP6 code). Very important goes on Maxell BQ.

MAP6, that's 16X -R Verb, correct? You've had issues with these?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Important stuff goes on Verbatim (+R, non MAP6 code, or carefully tested MAP6 code). Very important goes on Maxell BQ.

MAP6, that's 16X -R Verb, correct? You've had issues with these?

Yeah, I have one spindle that seems to be completely useless. Thermal Silver 50pc spindle.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby frank1 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:14 am

After a lot of searching I finaly found through « RockBottom » :
http://www.rockbottom.de/fcgi/queryrbnew.fpl?cmd=search&search=Maxell+DVD%2BR+4.7GB+16X+X-TREME+PROTEK+275721.2&minprice=1&maxprice=150000&start=0
3 places in Germany where they sell :
" Maxell DVD +R and .-R / 4.7GB 16x X-TREME PROTEK"

1°) Ayoo:
http://www.ayoo.de/details.php?ART=9041360&PID=13001
6,01 /5 = 1,20 € a piece
2°) Dynabyte:
http://www.dyna-byte.de/deeplink.htm?ca ... 12&sub=138
7,50€ /5 = 1,50 € a piece
3°) HardwareSend:
http://www.hardwaresend.de/maxell-dvdr- ... 51252.html
12,14 € /5 = 2,43 € a piece

Ayoo (the cheapest, located in north Germany) does not send to France.
I could reach HardwareSend (located in Schönau – Schwarzwald) in 1 hour or 2 by car, but the medias are a bit more expensive there.
So I am going to order some from Dynabyte because from what I understood their sending costs are free above 100 €.

But before doing so (for around 100 € !) I like to know from you experts if these medias are equivalent or at least close in quality to the Maxell BQ that dolphin uses.
Unfortunaly no one of these 3 links has a photo of these " Maxell 16x X-Treme PROTEK "
Is there any preference for quality between +R and –R for these "X-Treme PROTEK "?

According to the official site of Maxell Germany :
http://www.maxell.de/dvd-rxtremeprotek16x_p.html
http://www.maxell.de/dvdrxtremeprotek16x_p.html

The talk about a lifespan of about 50 years under 10-30°C, 30-50RH
and they should look like this:

Image Image

They have also some for authoring:
http://www.maxell.de/dvd-r47gbforauthoringdata_p.html

Thanks a lot to all of you for the help !
Last edited by frank1 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby Wischmop on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 am

I would try some of this media, but it´s hard to find a very expensive
Wischmop
Buffer Underrun

Postby [buck] on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:23 am

frank1 wrote:But before doing so (for around 100 € !) I like to know from you experts if these medias are equivalent or at least close in quality to the Maxell BQ that dolphin uses.
Unfortunaly no one of these 3 links has a photo of these " Maxell 16x X-Treme PROTEK "
Is there any preference for quality between +R and –R for these "X-Treme PROTEK "?

Well, BQ and Protek both come from Maxell's high-end "short serial" lines, and I've seen similar results from both. And they both have the "MAXPRO" hardcoat. I would call them equivalent products!

Personally, I'd got the +R because I've seen slightly more consistently excellent results from MAXELL003 as opposed to MXLRG04.

Good luck with your purchase! :D
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Recordable Media Discussion