Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Are jewel cases or sleeves better for DVD longevity

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Jewel Cases or Sleeves

Poll ended at Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:01 pm

Jewel Cases
70%
Sleeves
30%

Total votes : 10

Are jewel cases or sleeves better for DVD longevity

Postby david.minor on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:01 pm

Which is better, sliding a DVD into and out of a sleeve -- may cause scratches, or putting a DVD into and getting a DVD out of a jewel case -- may require the DVD to be flexed?

I have some DVDs that may be stored / accessed several hundreds of time during a ten year period. What storage strategy do you think will result is the least failures?
david.minor
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Most standard Jewel Cases have good hubs that don't require bending of the disc to remove it, so I tend to recommend them over sleeves. Sleeves, as you said, can scratch the disc, and the windows on them can adhere to the disc depending on the conditions they're stored in... and this can destroy the discs' laquer in the worst cases.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby DrageMester on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:49 pm

The worst DVD cases can crack the hub of your DVD when you remove the disc from the case - this has happened to me at least twice.

Some other DVD cases grip the hub so tightly, that you have to use excessive force to pull the disc free and the disc is stressed by being bent. This *could* make the disc fall apart.

So bad DVD cases can be really bad for your discs.

But a good DVD case would be better than sleeves in the long run in my opinion.

Since cases are both the best and worst storage option, I'm choosing not to vote in the poll.
Pioneer DVR-112L, LiteOn SHM-165P6S, Pioneer DVR-111L, BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A
LiteOn LH-20A1P, Optiarc AD-7203A, Matshita UJ-840S, Sony RDR-HX910, Sony RDR-HX750
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Since the poll says Jewel Case and not DVD Case, I didn't consider DVD cases as an option. Jewel Cases are quite often MUCH better in terms of hubs then DVD cases.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Some of the better quality sleeves are okay. The el-cheapo paper ones.. I won't store anything in them. It really irritates me when company sends me media in these as the discs tend arrive scratched. :evil:

Decent quality jewel cases are great. I especially like the slim ones as they're easier to get out.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby david.minor on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Ok. Archival discs go into slim jewel cases that have a low hub friction.

I have a situation where I am trying to store the second "reference" copy of another "archival" DVD. (Actually many, many different "reference" copies.)

Any thoughts about using the clear polyproplene dvd sleeves. I can get them for $0.051 each in quantities of 2000.

I plan to store them in a dry (< 80% humidity) and warm (55 to 75 deg. F.) room.

The slim jewel cases cost $0.135, or $0.084 more than the sleeves.

(I'm hoping these have a low hub friction, -- its hard to tell from the pictures. I'm thinking that if these are not them, then those with a low hub friction can be purchased with a similar cost.)

I have to balance the additional cost of the jewel cases against the cost of having to burn another reference copy. It costs $14.00 to make another copy. Each time I have to make another copy, I could have purchased 16.67 jewel cases instead of sleeves.

If I have 1000 DVD in sleeves and a replacement rate of 1:100
I have $51 worth of media storage costs and $140 replacement costs
$191 total

Compared to 1000 DVD in jewel cases and a replacement rate of 1:600
I have $135 worth of media storage costs and $23.3 replacement costs
$158.3 total

Compared to 1000 DVD in sleeves and a replacment rate of 1:200
I have $51 worth of media storage costs and $70 replacement costs
total $121.

I'm going to try sleeves and keep an eye on my replacement rate.
david.minor
Buffer Underrun

Postby redk9258 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:01 am

I would not use DVD to archive anything important. They are too unreliable. How about buying a few big hard drives? I just got a 200 GB for $20 after rebate. I always see big drives on sale cheap.

RANT MODE ON -
As for DVD cases, I hate them! I hate how big they are and I really hate the stupid design of the hub. I think they are designed so people ruin the disc. I've had one come apart in two layers before because of the stupid hub being so tight. Why couldn't they have just used jewel cases like CDs come in?
RANT MODE OFF -
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:05 am

I don't like the slim cases for anything but short term, because they all seem to be slightly warped. Maybe I just got some bad ones? Plus I find it more difficult to release a disk from a slim case. I don't see these problems with standard jewel cases.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 pm

I've had very good luck with slim line jewel cases, only problem is storing them in a manner that makes it easy to sort through them. I haven't noticed any warping of jewel cases, but there are a lot of manufactors out there, so I'm sure it's possible with poorer made ones. I've found that the ones that have a frosted tray seem to be most brittle and poorly made, the black tray jobs seem highest quality, under various brand names.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 pm

Good quality, unwarped, odourless jewel cases would almost certainly be better than virtually any sleeve... the fact the sleeve actually touches the recordable side of the disc introduces so many problems.

Of course, I think Amaray DVD cases are the ultimate storage medium. Excellent hub design, excellent workmanship and materials, and the benefit of all black DVD cases - they block almost all light.
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:37 am

[buck] wrote:Of course, I think Amaray DVD cases are the ultimate storage medium. Excellent hub design, excellent workmanship and materials, and the benefit of all black DVD cases - they block almost all light.
If they sold it under the Amaray brand here, I would buy them.
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby frank1 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:29 am

I store in a piece of furniture sold by hama under the name "CD Magic Touch"
No light or dust gets into this always vertical storage.
Because I buy now mostly blanks in spindles it saves me buying on top these slim and jewels cases. I broke many of them while opening, especially slims !

There is room for 600 (300 double sleeves) in one of this "hama" furniture, the DVD's are hanging vertically in double sleeves [usualy 2 copies made at the same time on different MID codes], the recordings are easy to find and each sleeve got a number so it's easy to find the way back into storage.
While handling them the discs don't fall anymore from the boxes when you open them.

I used a lot of ScratchProof DVD's from TDK and for the others I am not convinced that the contact between the sleeve and the burned side of the disc is any dangerous over time ...

Image Image
Last edited by frank1 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby 2Dogs on Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:53 pm

I must be a real cheapskate - I store my DVD's in ziploc bags. Airtight, and don't cause scratches. Not particuarly convenient for filing.
2Dogs
CD-RW Player

Postby algrinch on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 pm

I put movies in a Photo Album type disc holder.
Imagethis particular one from staples
The sleeves are fairly soft, it holds hundreds of them and its easy to browse through.

For data back up I put them back in a empty spindle case. I keep a 100 pack spindle case at my parents house with my off site back up.

and if I am giving someone a disc, like 2Dogs, I use a ziploc sandwich bag.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby hrbngr on Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:53 pm

I also don't like slim jewel cases for storage in terms of organization. After researching alternatives, I settled on an archival quality sleeve fitting in a 3-ring binder--but not the kind you purchase at best buy, as I do not think the quality is good enough.

here is the binder I purchased: http://www.adorama.com/FSBCDL.html?sear ... &item_no=1 (the clear-file binder was larger (height) and cheaper than the Print file version)

here are the sleeves I purchased: http://www.adorama.com/FSPFCDB825.html? ... &item_no=1

I choose Print file after getting a sample of both the Clear-file and Print file material from each company. I like the center hole used for levering the disc out of the sleeve, and the fit is excellent, while the material touching the data side of the DVD appears to be much higher quality than the best-buy/fellowes alternative. Here is a description from Print-File's website:
CDB-8 080-0340 -- Each page holds 8CDs, DVDs or CD ROMs. Archival polypropylene pockets with black nonwoven interior material. Key hole shaped opening for safe lifting of CDs from pocket. Dimensions: 11"W x 111/16"H. Suggested list: $23.05 http://www.printfile.com/products.cfm?A ... 03#product

The Adorama was the best price I could find, and they are also a very reliable online vendor.

The Bottom line is one binder holding up to 200 discs, that can be easily organized. It might, however, not be the best solution for removing and inserting discs constantly.
hrbngr
CD-RW Thug

Postby Black Blade on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:36 pm

I have well over 1,000 movies that I have stored in 3 hole binders, the plastic sleeve/pages I get at Staples. Each page holds 8 CD or DVD's. For the most part this is a fine arrangement, as I can sort all the movies alphabetically into various binders, but I have found that if a disc sits for too long it gets etched on the recordable side...some kind of reaction to the material of the page I assume. This usually results in a disc that I cannot even get a read from to copy it with Nero.
I get these page inserts at Staples as a matter of convenience, but is there some similar types of pages with proven good quality material that does not harm the surface of the discs?

I do like the idea of using the vertical hanging style of sleeves, if they are better/easier on the discs...for I can build the cabinets and drawers for this type of arrangement easy enough...
Black Blade
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Black Blade wrote:I have well over 1,000 movies that I have stored in 3 hole binders, the plastic sleeve/pages I get at Staples. Each page holds 8 CD or DVD's. For the most part this is a fine arrangement, as I can sort all the movies alphabetically into various binders, but I have found that if a disc sits for too long it gets etched on the recordable side...some kind of reaction to the material of the page I assume. This usually results in a disc that I cannot even get a read from to copy it with Nero.
I get these page inserts at Staples as a matter of convenience, but is there some similar types of pages with proven good quality material that does not harm the surface of the discs?

I do like the idea of using the vertical hanging style of sleeves, if they are better/easier on the discs...for I can build the cabinets and drawers for this type of arrangement easy enough...

Univenture (www.univenture.com) has a safety sleeve, which I have never seen cause this problem, however I have not personally tested it in long term applications, I *DO* know people who have used them for more then a year with no problems. They are expensive, but very good quality.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion