Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Recommended new drives?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Recommended new drives?

Postby Akeru on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:31 pm

I see the old favorites, but was wondering if you guys recommend any new drives that have either more features or are possibly better in any way. Perhaps nothing at all is better than the older drives?

I've actually never had a DVD Writer before, so I need some help. I'm in the US! :)
Akeru
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:18 pm

For a start, you might want to check out this month's poll:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22661
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ky_Lake on Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:59 am

I have read and read, asked many and it seems that a few are mentioned always at the top when i ask. It seems almost everyone loves the Pioneer DVR-111. The LG H22N is another one that it seems most all really like. Some like the LG H22L with lightscribe but some say it is not as good as the H22N that has no lightscribe. Lightscribe is a way to make labels without your printer and labels. The media usually cost more.

Are you going to get one or two burners? It seems that always Benq is rated very high and what i read all three of those seem to burn alot of differnet kinds of media good. The Benq's are getting hard to find like the 1640, 1650 and 1655. I am just getting ready to put two new burners in mine over the weekend. I can not tell you from personal experience as i have no idea but alot of people has told me to get these.

Check out the link Ian posted and also check out this link as they are also voting on the best drive here.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=203725

It sort of seems it is no perfect drive but alot of them are very good depending what you use it for. I would think the Benq, 111, and H22 would be very friendly and good for all around. It seems that Lite-On get's mixed reviews from alot but also some rank them very high. One last place, go over to Newegg.com and click on drives and read the user reviews and you can see sort of the favs on Newegg, that people are and have bought.
Ky_Lake
Buffer Underrun

Postby Akeru on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:57 am

Thanks for the replies! Can either of you tell me why people seem to like the Pioneer over many of the other drives? What is good about the drive that makes it shine above the others?
Akeru
Buffer Underrun

Postby Justin42 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:05 pm

Excellent burn quality... and it's fairly cheap... and with hacked firmware (Which voids your warranty) you get DVD-RAM capability, which is a nice plus.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers