Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Toshiba's pathetic first HD DVD writers

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Toshiba's pathetic first HD DVD writers

Postby jsl on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 am

SD-H903A
SD-L902A
1x HD DVD-R speed and no support for rewritable HD DVD :o (the specs for HD DVD-RW are not even finished yet AFAIK).

Edit: A press release for the SD-H903A: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c3398.html
jsl
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 am

Hey, at least their new desktop drive supports SATA. :wink:

I'm curious to hear how much the SD-H903A will be. If its around $300, I can see people buying it. Any more than that, and you're probably better off buying a Blu-ray writer. That is if you need to record large amounts of data. I don't think most of us do yet.

A few pics..
Attachments
Toshiba SD-H903A Open Sm.jpg
Toshiba SD-H903A Open Sm.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Toshiba SD-H903A Sm.png
Toshiba SD-H903A Sm.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 am

Wow.... how many months late is this drive now? And 1x HDDVD-R and no HDDVD-RW support is the best they could do?

Well, Toshiba and optical drives have never been a good combination anyways.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:17 pm

I posted this elsewhere, but someone told me I really ought to post it here too... so here it is :P

So Toshiba has announced their HDDVD burner for PC's now... and assuming it doesn't get pushed back again, it should be released around late february. Then you'll be able to burn HDDVD-Rs at break neck 1x speeds, along with HDDVD-RDL's at 1x (which don't exist in recordable form yet...). Playback is also clocking in at a super fast 1x for HDDVD.

For some reason, Toshiba hasn't even given us a price for it... my guess would be because they don't KNOW yet (I haven't even heard that this drive is in mass production yet!).

Oh yeah, and if you thought you might want to try burning an HDDVD-RW first, to make sure you knew what you were doing before wasting an expensive HDDVD-R disc? Think again! They *STILL* haven't finalized the HDDVD-RW format, so therefore, there is no media and no support for it on the Toshiba drive.

Great format guys, and great job Toshiba. You just keep that anti-Sony propaganda up, since it's about the only thing you can do right!

I guess the question we should all be asking is... at CES this year, will they be displaying the same physical HDDVD-R burner that they displayed LAST year at CES... you know, when they said it would be out soon LAST YEAR.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:22 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, Toshiba and optical drives have never been a good combination anyways.

Agreed, most of the Toshiba DVD burners sucked royal @$$.

And yeah... I remember Toshiba showing me some crappy HD DVD-R recordable PC drives last year at CES that were supposed to be released LAST YEAR. They are seriously lagging here...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:59 pm

Wesociety wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Well, Toshiba and optical drives have never been a good combination anyways.

Agreed, most of the Toshiba DVD burners sucked royal @$$.

And yeah... I remember Toshiba showing me some crappy HD DVD-R recordable PC drives last year at CES that were supposed to be released LAST YEAR. They are seriously lagging here...

Lucky for Toshiba most news sites only report when SONY has to push a release date back...

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby SkaarjMaster on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:36 am

What's the deal with Toshiba these days? Their DVD burners suck and some of their DVD players don't work with some TVs and now this. I remember when their DVD players were the best (out of the affordable commericial ones that is). :o
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives