Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No response trying to play DVD movies

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

No response trying to play DVD movies

Postby videobruce on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:49 am

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this isn't hardware related. I can read the DVD on either DVD drive in Windows (2k), but I can't play any movie.

I had PowerDVD installed, but had issues with it so I uninstalled it manually since I couldn't do do from add/remove programs (received error message). I searched the drive for all the file names associalted with the program (PowerDVD & Cyberlink). Then I used a Regestry Crawler to do the same. I did check the names to be sure there wasn't anythging that shouldn't be removed the best I could (there was a couple of hundred).

I installed a older DVD program (that I used before), but it won't play any DVD on either drive. These are orginal movies, not backups.

Come to think of it, I did have a related issue with PowerDVD. I tried to get rid of that nagging registration screen by typing in a fake e-mail address and it locked the program. I couldn't play anything afterwards. It just would keep either freezing up or just not playing the DVD, so I uninstalled it.

I can read the DVD on either drive, so it's not a hardware issue. I can read other DVDs' and burn DVDs' (including movie backups) with no issue.

Any ideas? (BTW, I don't want to re-install PowerDVD again).
videobruce
Buffer Underrun

Postby algrinch on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:53 am

*If* this is a PowerDVD software related issue, it might be worth a re-install and then uninstall.

When you re-install the software it re-writes all of the files and registry entries. Hopefully you could then correctly uninstall it using the Add/Remove programs process.

In the past, when a program runs into an error uninstalling I have used the above method with success.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby videobruce on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:01 am

I really hate to put this thing back in. I did take a look at computer mgn. and found this;
Attachments
computer management.jpg
computer management.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
videobruce
Buffer Underrun

Duplicate entries

Postby 2Dogs on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:25 am

I would suggest you remove or disconnect both optical drives, and reboot your pc. Check that device manager shows no entries for either drive, and then power down and reconnect the drives. That should at least rectify the erroneous duplicate listings in device manager.

Your problem does sound like it might have been caused by over zealous registry editing, though. Before you mess with the registry, make sure you back it up - then you can easily recover from mistakes.

good luck!
KHypermedia 8x4x12 (BenQ 800 clone) B2L7 BenQ DW1655 BCIB BenQ DW1650 BCIC Samsung SH-S182M KC03 LG GSA-H22N 1:01 TDB Lite-On SHM-165H6S HS0E Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29
2Dogs
CD-RW Player

Postby videobruce on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:48 am

The entries were not in DM. I deleted those two entries from Computer Management (Storage/Physical Locations) and it appears to be ok now (so far). I will do further testing later.
videobruce
Buffer Underrun

computer management

Postby 2Dogs on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:58 pm

sorry, my typo I meant computer management!
KHypermedia 8x4x12 (BenQ 800 clone) B2L7 BenQ DW1655 BCIB BenQ DW1650 BCIC Samsung SH-S182M KC03 LG GSA-H22N 1:01 TDB Lite-On SHM-165H6S HS0E Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29
2Dogs
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion