Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HD VMD (Finally) Coming To The US

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HD VMD (Finally) Coming To The US

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 am

It looks like we'll be able to buy HD VMD players in the 2Q of 2007. Prices really aren't too bad either.

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070226/114452.html

New Medium Enterprises (NME) (OTC BB:NMEN.OB - News) today announced its first U.S.-based distribution deal with PC Rush to bring its HD Versatile Multilayer Disc (VMD) players to the U.S. market for the first time. Through this three-year distribution deal, PC Rush will distribute and market the HD VMD Media Player Duo and HD VMD Media Player Quattro, which will allow consumers to play their existing standard-definition DVD collections up-converted to HD, as well as allow consumers entrance into the HD playback market with the high quality, and high value VMD disc format. The HD VMD Media Player Duo, starting at $199 (MSRP) and the HD VMD Media Player Quattro, starting at just $249 (MSRP), will both be available from PC Rush in Q2 2007.

The HD VMD Media Players Duo and Quattro will fill the market need by delivering high-definition discs and players at an affordable price for a broad consumer base. With HDTV adoption continuing to grow, consumers need a proven technology and affordable solution for content storage and playback. Utilizing red laser technology, the same technology used to produce today's global DVDs, NME is bringing consumers an HD option at a comparable cost to the current consumer DVD market.

HD VMD is a true HD format with 1920 x 1080i/p resolution, up to 40 Mbps bit rate playback, video up-conversion for SD DVD, Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and all region codes. The HD VMD media format is suitable for playback on all HD capable display devices and will support existing optical disc formats: CD, DVD (DVD5 & DVD9).

NME doesn't mention it here, but the HD VMD Media Player Duo only supports 9GB 2-layer discs were the HD VMD Media Player Quattro supports 20GB 4-layer discs.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 pm

when they release a settop burner I'll be interested. I'd like to save my HD shows to something portable and affordable. If nothing else it might force the price down for the other 2 formats quicker :)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Well, we're supposed to get a PC based VMD drive and/or burner some time this year. If its affordable, that might help boost the format some too.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:57 pm

Well I do have a hdtv card I haven't reinstalled in here yet since my latest major upgrade so that would work too. Was kinda a bummer to be able to record HD stuff on it then not have any good way to use it any where else so kinda quit using it.
I just got a ATI 1900 xtx also and it has true hdtv component out and lots of muscle so that shouldn't hurt either.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 pm

So, if you buy the Duo, and someone releases a movie you want on a 4-layer disc you're out of luck?

Wow, it's a format war within a single format!
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm

maybe, but it's still half the price of the others and I'd mainly want it for my own HD caps from PBS and other shows.
PBS is all 1080i and most of it is fantastic quality at that, then there's shows like CSI that are also very good quality video.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Yeah if PC HDVMD burners actually show up, they might actually have a demand...
Still, if any type of special media is required, it would be expensive (compared to DVDR) due to a low amount of manufacturers.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives