Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD-Rs in unheated storage???

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

CD-Rs in unheated storage???

Postby freeloader on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Recently I've heard that cold temperatures can destroy whatever is written to a CD-R, something about how the cold temps affect the dye layer. Supposedly CD-RWs are not affected.

I'm looking at the possibility in the near future of needing to store all my CD-Rs, DVD-/+Rs, etc for a while. It will by necessity be un-heated storage. Temps will definitely be below freezing and could potentially drop to sub-zero (per the Farenheit scale).

Is this a real problem for CD-Rs?

How about DVD-/+Rs?
Thx
freeloader
Buffer Underrun

Check the label!

Postby 2Dogs on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 am

You might check the packaging. On some HP 16x DVD+R discs I have, the jewel case insert shows a temperature range of -5c to 55c (23f - 131f)

That might relate to operating temperatures rather than storage, but it would be safe to take the -5c as a minimum for storage too. CD-R discs might have a different spec.

I would suggest your discs should also be in jewel cases - and not sleeves or anything that has the disc surface in contact with anything. You wouldn't want moisture freezing the disc to the sleeve.

Maybe you could do your own practical test - put a disc or two in your freezer and see if it has any effect.
KHypermedia 8x4x12 (BenQ 800 clone) B2L7 BenQ DW1655 BCIB BenQ DW1650 BCIC Samsung SH-S182M KC03 LG GSA-H22N 1:01 TDB Lite-On SHM-165H6S HS0E Pioneer DVR-111D 1.29
2Dogs
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:42 pm

I keep all my movies (834+) in slim jewel cases, stored in a closable storage cabinet

away from sun, and same temp as my apartment

there dvd-r though, but should be relatively the same for cd-r
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby algrinch on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am

This is from Windows Secret Newsletter:CD-Rs don't survive freezing temperatures

The above link explains a reader's experience with frozen CD-R's.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby freeloader on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:22 am

Thx for the feed back to my question.
I must admit, it was the Windows Secrets article thast prompted my question. When I asked the question here looking for confirmation or denial, I was worried about the potential for data loss. I Live in Alaska. Cool to cold temps are the norm here. That's why the possibility of cold damage is important to me.

Since then something has occured to me. I keep CD-R copies of my audio CD's in my vehicles year around. They are exposed to temps varying from sub zero F to over 100*F due to winter night temps, winter heater usage and summer sun. I have never to my knowlege lost any CD-R audio discs to heat or cold. Although, occasionally some will degrade and begin to skip and stick (rapidly repeating). But, that hasn't happened for a long time now. And, I'm not sure if it was due to temperature damage or not.

Within the next week or so, I will probably need to store several hunderd data DVDs and CD-Rs for several weeks in an unheated storage area. that is my reason for concern. They represent a large investment of time to put together.

Right now at the end of February we're in a cold spell with below 0*F night temps. It's looking to have the possibility of running into March. Screwy weather!!

I'm still open to thoughts on the subject.
Thx
freeloader
Buffer Underrun

Postby algrinch on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:08 pm

I haven't had any problems leaving burned audio cds in my car either. It doesn't get near as cold here but the discs likely have been exposed to below freezing temperatures.

If as you say the data you are storing is valuable and is the result of many hours of investment, I would be hesitant to leave them exposed to severe temperature.

I would be interesting in hearing a definitive answer if you find one.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:32 pm

I live on the prairies in Canada, and our winters can and do hit -30C in winter. In my truck I have a Sony 10 disc CD player, dealer installed back when I bot the truck new in '01. I filled up the player up back then with some burned CD-R's (burned on my $450 2X CD HP writer :lol: ). I listen 99% to the radio (CBC), so those original discs are still in it (they are all compilation discs, so that does help me not tire of them also). When I do play them, they play fine, and they have seen temps from -35C to +38C, through the seasons over a 5 year period. Not only have they survived getting that cold, they have survived the rapid warm up that happens when you use the vehicle, which IMO would be harder than a slow cool down or warm up. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:10 pm

It's pretty common knowledge that any extreme temperatures can have adverse affects on recordable media due to the organic substances used. Moderate temperatures are always recommended for media storage environments...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion