Home News Reviews Forums Shop

300 (the movie)

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

300 (the movie)

Postby Wesociety on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Anyone else psyched to see the movie 300 ?

From Frank Miller / director of Sin City.
I think it's going to kick some major ass.
Release date = 03/09

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/
http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/
Last edited by Wesociety on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:29 pm

It looks weird... but weird enough that I want to see it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Justin42 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Am I the only person who initially thought it was called "Zoo" from the way the name's written on the billboards/posters for it? (I know, it's not really a Z but it looks like one if you're just scanning the surroundings)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 pm

heh, I didn't think it was named "ZOO" but I did say to myself "What was the name of it?" the first couple times I saw a preview or heard about it...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:24 pm

I got a making of dvd trailer thing with a ticket last time I bought a bunch of movies at Best Buy, maybe I need to get one more movie just to get another "free" ticket, plus watch the dvd about it :)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:05 am

I just finished watching the 'original movie' - The 300 Spartans. Damm, that was good. I bought the movie months ago and never gotten around to watching it. Then with the 300 about to be released I decided to watch The 300 Spartans before I go see 300.

There was this one line that cracked me up, and as a guy, I find is true:

"Who can understand the way of gods?

They create lovely girls ... and then turn them into wives."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Morpheus wrote:I just finished watching the 'original movie' - The 300 Spartans. Damm, that was good. I bought the movie months ago and never gotten around to watching it. Then with the 300 about to be released I decided to watch The 300 Spartans before I go see 300.

I didn't realize it was a remake.
6.5 / 10 current rating on IMDB.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/

I'll see the remake first (300) in theaters.
Maybe I'll rent the original if I like the new version enough...
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:26 pm

It's a remake in runabout sort of way. Frank Miller took the story and made a comic/graphic novel about it. Then the movie studio took the comic and made it into a movie. They used visuals from the comic in the movie, the same way when the studio took Miller's Sin City and made it into a movie.
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:54 am

Cool, thanks for elaborating.
I definitely enjoyed Sin City, so I expect that I will find 300 to be a good movie.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Wow, 8.4/10 current rating on IMDB.
I also read somewhere that they are calling it the "first blockbuster" of 2007.

Not sure what type of sales figure you have to hit in order to qualify as a blockbuster.

I'm actually pretty happy about this, because I read a review in print somewhere that basically said the movie has some really good action scenes, including slow-mo Matrix style effects, but it had a really weak story.

Normally I disregard movie critic reviews and wait for IMDB ratings, but in this case I fooled myself by believing the print critic! looks like it might be pretty decent afterall !
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:00 pm

300 actually got a semi decent review from the Onion. They're never positive about any movie.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:08 am

I've heard this movie described as a homoerotic gorefest full of half naked men and no plot. And that's by both a reviewer and at least one person I know who's seen it.

Although apparently the movie is scoring quite well with female test audiences :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:43 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I've heard this movie described as a homoerotic gorefest full of half naked men and no plot. And that's by both a reviewer and at least one person I know who's seen it.

Although apparently the movie is scoring quite well with female test audiences :o

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of... I also read a print review that said something similar, which sortof scared me off. I might wait till DVD release on this one, unless me and the girlfriend really want to go to the theater soon and there is no other movies out that look better than 300.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Wesociety wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:I've heard this movie described as a homoerotic gorefest full of half naked men and no plot. And that's by both a reviewer and at least one person I know who's seen it.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of... I also read a print review that said something similar, which sortof scared me off. I might wait till DVD release on this one, unless me and the girlfriend really want to go to the theater soon and there is no other movies out that look better than 300.

Go see Music & Lyrics with her, it's hilarious.... well, if you like witty and sarcastic one liners :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Go see Music & Lyrics with her, it's hilarious.... well, if you like witty and sarcastic one liners :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion, but my girlfriend said she thought it looked stupid, and well, I said the same thing! 6.6/10 current rating on IMDB.
I'd rather wait to rent it on DVD. :lol:
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:08 pm

The movie was awesome. If someone immediately attributes barely clad warriors who are built like brick shit houses as a sexual prompting, they probably should just come out of the closet. The Spartans were a very clean-lined, simple, strong, and elegant contrast to the Persians who were heavily adorned, convoluted, horded, and grotesque. The plot is a device for some amazing visuals, action, and really awesome cinematography. Anyone that referred to it as light on plot and homoerotic basically completely missed the point and may be better off with something like Happy Feet.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Wesociety on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 pm

Hey, thanks for your viewpoint on the film JamieW.
Now I'm really on the fence about whether or not to see it in theaters. lol
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 pm

The more I discuss and think about 300, the more impressed I am with it. It is at its heart, simply a story about 300 Spartans who battled hordes of Persians. That's all it is, that's all it needs to be. After watching it, you realize it had a story teller and that you've been watching a modern rendition of the campfire story as would be told by a great story teller. The story is simple because the event was great and the story teller capable. How much complicated and evolving plot do you need to watch 300 men effectively fight tens of thousands? The telling of this story is what makes this movie great.

I've discussed with some people and they tried to compare it to Gladiator. That is a mistake. That's like comparing Breakfast at Tiffany's and the Breakfast Club because they both have eggs in them. Gladiator used action to support and advance the plot. 300's plot is a device to support the rest of the film. And the relative quality of each gets distributed the same. The cinematography, environment, and action are so very well done in 300 that if we were to compare Gladiator's quality level to these relatively, we'd find that Gladiator was lacking.

The most effective comparison I've heard thus far had to include some qualifiers. Matrix: Reloaded was the closest comparison. If Matrix: Reloaded were a stand-alone film and not held accountable to the standards of Matrix, then it would have been an amazing film. In Reloaded, the plot only served again to allow awesome visuals and action. Now, picture 300 as more like this style of film only with the following improvements:

1. It is not a sequel and thus there is no precedent for what should be. It can stand simply on its own.
2. It does what it does with more elegance.
3. It lacks ego.
4. It is a fairly new and unique vision.
5. It has some awesome one-liners that are not forced. They are just awesome.

I highly recommend seeing the movie. But don't be distracted by the plot. Instead, look at how the story is being told.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Wesociety on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts JamieW. ;)
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:14 am

Ok, now this is retarded. I came across this while surfing around today.
Iranians are angry and insulted by the movie 300
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:45 am

Maybe its just me, but the Iranians get angry and insulted over everything. I bet they call a Jihad on the movie.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby JamieW on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:50 am

I hadn't even made the connection of Persia to Iran until they brought it up.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Ian wrote:I bet they call a Jihad on the movie.

lmao!!!!
This is something that could easily be made fun of in "Team America: World Police 2".

Oh crap, I just sneezed. The Iranians are probably heavily offended now.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Zack Snyder directed 300, I loved his remake of Dawn of the Dead, so I'm looking forward to catching 300. Unfortunately now with the family, most movies are caught on DVD.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Grain wrote: Unfortunately now with the family, most movies are caught on DVD.

I hear ya. My wife and I used to go see a movie every week. Now we're lucky to see one every 3 months.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to The Beer Garden