Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which drive for best burn quality (DVD-R media)?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:25 pm

Mungos wrote:here is an example
skypro gold cd-r 2x-52x 80min ( www.skypromedia.com )

i recorded an audio disc with my pioneer dvr-111 (1.29 firmware version), x8 speed

here is a disc quality test scanned (average read speed x8),
with dvr-111 first picture
and combo drive lite-on sohc-5236v second picture

somebody to explane this results?

Well, in your previous post you said dvd, but now you're showing us a CD-R quality scan. Most DVD burners have trouble with quality scans on CD-R media, often providing reported C1/C2 results that are of little no use, which can not be interpreted correctly or compared to other results.

This is why reviewers such as Ian use a CD Burner to do quality scans on CD-R discs.

This doesn't mean your Pioneer is a bad READER, it just shouldn't be used for CD-R quality scans. Now if on the other hand you are having trouble ripping or playing back any discs on your DVR-111, that would be a whole different story...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Mungos on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:36 pm

ok thanx i understand that
i will post test of an dvd-r burned and scaned with dvr-111, so strange results
Mungos
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Mungos wrote:ok thanx i understand that

From my experience and from what I've read and heard, most or all of the Pioneer DVD drives do not have useful DVD quality scanning abilities.
LiteOn, BenQ or Plextors are best used for DVD quality scanning.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Mungos on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 pm

Wesociety wrote:
Mungos wrote:ok thanx i understand that

From my experience and from what I've read and heard, most or all of the Pioneer DVD drives do not have useful DVD quality scanning abilities.
LiteOn, BenQ or Plextors are best used for DVD quality scanning.

so sure
check this scans of same disc (skypro dvd-r x8 formula), until 90% of scan quality is not perfect but very good

moment of absurd errors, here even system freeze

i try this dvd-r on lite-on drive and scan is very good 100% scan, no problem when read or copy
Mungos
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Mungos wrote:i try this dvd-r on lite-on drive and scan is very good 100% scan, no problem when read or copy

Yeah, so as you can see from your own images, DVD quality scan data from Pioneer drives is practically worthless.

Again I want to reiterate: This does NOT make the Pioneer a bad reader, it just makes it a "bad" disc quality scanner. Many Pioneer DVR-111 users report EXCELLENT real-world reading capabilities during ripping, playback and reading damaged discs.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Mungos on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:41 pm

i agree
but i have couple of dvd-r's (not surface damage, only burned maybe with high speed) which i cant read or copy with my dvr-111
lite-on drives can

and i must agree with others
burn with pioneer, read with lite-on
Mungos
Buffer Underrun

Postby Wesociety on Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:59 pm

Mungos wrote:but i have couple of dvd-r's (not surface damage, only burned maybe with high speed) which i cant read or copy with my dvr-111
lite-on drives can

and i must agree with others
burn with pioneer, read with lite-on

Ok, thanks for confirming. I was wondering if you were actually experiencing any "real-world" issues with reading DVD-R's on the DVR-111.
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to DVD Writers