Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Having a terrible time with TDK's

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Having a terrible time with TDK's

Postby Black Blade on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I am painfully working my way through my supply of TDK DVD-R's I got at Costco, down to 150 left. It is terrible, for every second disc is failing on me...which then locks up Nero for nearly 5 minutes or more each time. They are rated 16x, but I have tried 8 and 12x which the same hit and miss success. Be nice if Nero responded quicker to allow you to eject the bad disc, what a pain!

The ID on these discs is CMC MAG AM3, so no wonder I guess.

Once these discs are used up, will probably be getting Verbatim, or TY's from blankmedia.ca

Apologies for the rant...but at least here people can understand my pain...:)

BTW: Have two LG GSA-422N's
Last edited by Black Blade on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Blade
Buffer Underrun

Postby vishank on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:13 pm

I bought two packs of TDK DVD+R's from Costco as a impulsive buy due to the sale price around Christmas time. I was astonished at the amount of negative reviews that they have gotten online and was contemplating returning them. I changed my mind and I started using the first pack since Mid February. I have had ZERO problems burning onto the disks (4,6,8,12 and even 16X) and they seem to be pretty decent from my results.

The Disc ID is TDK-003-00 which is different than the one the above poster had.

Btw, I've burned the discs with a NEC 3550A and an LG 4163B DVD Burner.
vishank
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:48 am

TDK media is a crap shoot. But in general I just label it as crap. The Costco stuff is by far the worst out there, with a VERY high failure rate, although some people have no problems. I for instance have 2 spindles. One is DVD-R and will burn marginally "ok" if recorded at 1x on my stand alone recorder, but don't even THINK about burning it at the rated speed of 16x on anything. And I have some DVD+Rs which are generally fine on most burners.

I would never consider TDK media for personal use though...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Black Blade on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Sounds like alot of blank DVD media is a crap shoot...not knowing who the real manufacturer is etc...my kids have destoyed too many of our good movies, so I back up all of them now, so I will go for either Verbatim, TY from blankmedia.ca.

I have so far always got the -R type, but I guess +R's are good to use as well nowadays, which is good to know because I recall Verbatim's on sale at Staples before and I passed it up when seen they were +R's.
Black Blade
Buffer Underrun

Postby frank1 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:58 am

I am also disappointed with the last TDK media especially the 16x DVD+R sold in spindles with CMC MAG M01 code

So I like to know what the experts think about the TDK DVD’s of the 8x generation
like:
DVD+R: TDK-002
DVD-R: TTH01 and TTG02
I am especially concerned about the long time conservation of the grey-looking ScratchProof DVD’s with the TTH01 & TDK-002 codes manufactured in Luxemburg

Do you think that in general TDK media were better before when they were -for the european market- mainly manifactured in Luxemburg.

For further discussion, I still have left a stock of TDK blanks of the the 4x generation:
DVD+R: TDK-001 and some RicohJPN-R01.
DVD-R: TTG01 and even some old TYG01 (sold under the TDK brand)
Last edited by frank1 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby Black Blade on Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:20 am

Is there any tell-tale signs of the type maufacturer of the TDK's on the boxes/wrapper etc? Or is the purchase of TDK, like many others and you never know what you will end up with?
Black Blade
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:33 am

I've had "ok" results from the TDK Luxembourg stuff... but it was still subpar to even my Optodisc 16x DVD+Rs in many ways. I'd probably even take Ritek over TDK.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

taiyo yuden

Postby sternpro1 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:50 pm

You were warned about spamming. You are now banned.
sternpro1
Buffer Underrun

Re: taiyo yuden

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:21 pm

sternpro1 wrote:taiyou yuden cd's are the best - found the best deal at www.sternpro1spamsalot.com

Considering that you can get a better price from Rima.com on 1 spindle of 100 CD-Rs then you can on 15 spindles of 100 CD-Rs from tapes.com, I think you either have horrible searching skills, or are a spammer.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: taiyo yuden

Postby DrageMester on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:37 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote: I think you either have horrible searching skills, or are a spammer.

Bingo! :wink:

Two previous posts by the same user were edited for spamming.
DrageMester
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Sigh.. I warned him. Now he's banned.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby frank1 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:41 am

Is it correct to say that TDK made in Luxemburg stuuf stopped more or less with the 8x generation DVD's ?
TTH01 & TDK-002 codes ?
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:28 pm

frank1 wrote:Is it correct to say that TDK made in Luxemburg stuuf stopped more or less with the 8x generation DVD's ?
TTH01 & TDK-002 codes ?

I have Luxemburg 16x DVD-R and DVD+R media, so I'd say no.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 pm

I have a couple hundred pcs of TTH02 from Luxembourg (TDK & Imation branded), and about 30pcs of TDK003 from Luxembourg (Imation branded).
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby evilboy on Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Black Blade wrote:Is there any tell-tale signs of the type maufacturer of the TDK's on the boxes/wrapper etc? Or is the purchase of TDK, like many others and you never know what you will end up with?
Jewel cases: rectangular recycling sticker (recycling sign + PP on the bottom).

Cakeboxes: five-letter code (BWAEA or something similar) on the bottom. "LOCK/OPEN" is in sans-serif font, but smaller and thinner compared to MBI or Prodisc. ;)
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby Wesociety on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:56 pm

I've seen some really good quality scan results on Made In Luxembourg 16x TDK DVD-R media before, so I thought they were pretty decent. That's not to say they will hold up over time and maintain quality though...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion