Home News Reviews Forums Shop

More Than 100k HD DVD Players Sold In The US

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

More Than 100k HD DVD Players Sold In The US

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 am

Pretty impressive considering they don't count PC or Xbox 360 drives.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 419&EDATE=

HD DVD First to Reach 100K CE Players Sold in the U.S.

New $399 price for Toshiba players spark increased sales of dedicated high definition players

add your linkLOS ANGELES, April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Marking the first anniversary of HD DVD hardware and movies sold to consumers, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group announced today that sales of dedicated HD DVD consumer electronics players reached more than 100K units sold in the United States, ahead of any other high definition format. This figure does not include sales of HD DVD PC drives or the Xbox 360 HD DVD player, which are also selling strongly.

As consumers see lower prices for high definition players, the manufacturing efficiencies of HD DVD are keeping the format one step ahead. As the first to bring CE player prices down below the $400 mark, Toshiba is hearing encouraging news from retailers.

"Toshiba remains committed to drive sales with strategic pricing and marketing to complement the rapid market adoption of HDTVs," said Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing, Toshiba America Consumer Products. "Retailers are showing a significant increase in sales volume this month so far. On Amazon.com, our HD DVD players continue to rank among the top ten best sellers of all DVD players, which says a lot about how consumers relate to price."

Quality, price and great viewing and listening experiences are recognized benefits of the HD DVD format. With mandatory features such as a network connection, picture-in-picture, persistent storage, and decode support for Dolby True HD, every player can take advantage of new interactive and audio features as they are introduced. That means a quantum leap for the consumer experience with minimal investment in new audio equipment and the ability to update any player on the market as needed. Consumers can also enjoy combo discs that include a DVD version as well as an HD version on a single disc for playback on a variety of machines. These are all exclusive features of the HD DVD format.

With titles like The Complete Matrix Trilogy coming in May from Warner Home Video, and more than 70 new titles expected to be released before the end of July, HD DVD owners will have more than 300 titles worldwide to choose from this summer, with more to come in the fall and holiday seasons.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:07 pm

So that's 100,000 players in 1 year. Not bad :)

And how many PS3's are there on the market now? :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:58 pm

Doesn't matter, I'll wait.
Next year 50GB SD cards will be $2 each, AMIR.
Then, I'll just buy my HD movies that way.

Then I won't buy a Blu-ray player just to throw in a landfill with somebody's 8 track player.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 pm

CowboySlim wrote:Doesn't matter, I'll wait.

Then I won't buy a Blu-ray player just to throw in a landfill with somebody's 8 track player.

The scary thing is you could be right... we might be seeing the end of optical media as we know it in the next while :(
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:00 pm

Big 10-4, DR!

Recently bought a new head unit for my wife's Jeep.
The head unit has CD, AM/FM, Sirius radio control and 3.5mm AUX input jack and we also bought the Sirius antenna and tuner.

So I can put my songs on a 2GB SD card, put that card in a SanDisk e140 MP3/WMA player and plug that player into the dash.

I'm not buying CDs anymore, just download songs one at a time now for 99 cents. Ripping all my CDs to put on SD cards.
Between the e140 player and the Sirius, I would never use the AM/FM or CD player again.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm sure the MPAA and RIAA will find a way to DRM the hell out of them first.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:So that's 100,000 players in 1 year. Not bad :)

The PS3 is supposed to be a gaming system, hence the "play" portion of the title. Sony's trojan horse, backfiring.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:51 pm

vinnie97 wrote:

The PS3 is supposed to be a gaming system, hence the "play" portion of the title. Sony's trojan horse, backfiring.

I love it when people call the PS3 a trojan horse, it always makes me laugh. Partly because I think of dozens of little trojans sneaking out and wreaking havoc on people's houses while they sleep, and partly because it shows just how angry and spiteful some people have become over something so inconsequential.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 pm

Ian wrote:

I'm sure the MPAA and RIAA will find a way to DRM the hell out of them first.

Oh yeah, reminds me.
The whacko at Virginia Tech is said to be a compulsive downloader.
How come the RIAA didn't have him put away?
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
vinnie97 wrote:

I love it when people call the PS3 a trojan horse, it always makes me laugh. Partly because I think of dozens of little trojans sneaking out and wreaking havoc on people's houses while they sleep, and partly because it shows just how angry and spiteful some people have become over something so inconsequential.

:P Perhaps but Sony recently made another winning DRM move lately with new DVD releases implementing a DRM scheme that won't play in some players...so you can't exactly say it isn't earned; just another reason to ditch this company (of course, the same can be said for Window and their Vista product if some of the forecasts come true).
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 pm

vinnie97 wrote::P Perhaps but Sony recently made another winning DRM move lately with new DVD releases implementing a DRM scheme that won't play in some players...so you can't exactly say it isn't earned; just another reason to ditch this company (of course, the same can be said for Window and their Vista product if some of the forecasts come true).

How can you ditch Sony? Stop using Floppy Disks, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, Blu-Ray, HD DVD, or watching any TV shows or Movies, or listen to any music.... EVER. And never buy any major entertainment device of course.

Sony is in everything... you can't avoid them, you can only dilute them.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:38 pm

Sony owns your soul!!!
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:48 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Sony is in everything... you can't avoid them, you can only dilute them.
I have never had good luck with any Sony branded product. I gave up on them several years ago. All I have left is my 36 Wega TV (a gift from my Dad - I did not buy it... and it freaks out and wants to be programmed all the time), a Hi8Camcorder that eats tapes (I bought it when my wife was expecting our first child in 1999) and a cheap CD deck in my wifes car that won't play the first track of anything. Sony support SUX! I've had more problems with their equipment in my life than any other firm, and it is hard to avoid them, but I try!!! If BluRay wins the format war (though I don't see a winner ever happening if SDHC takes off in the next couple of years/ODD recording will die and I am not sure if that is a good thing), I will dilute buy buying someone elses BluRay player... I'll just have to ignore that fact that whoever I buy it from will be writing a check to Sony...
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:34 pm

SithTracy wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Sony is in everything... you can't avoid them, you can only dilute them.
I have never had good luck with any Sony branded product. I gave up on them several years ago. All I have left is my 36 Wega TV (a gift from my Dad - I did not buy it... and it freaks out and wants to be programmed all the time), a Hi8Camcorder that eats tapes (I bought it when my wife was expecting our first child in 1999) and a cheap CD deck in my wifes car that won't play the first track of anything. Sony support SUX! I've had more problems with their equipment in my life than any other firm, and it is hard to avoid them, but I try!!! If BluRay wins the format war (though I don't see a winner ever happening if SDHC takes off in the next couple of years/ODD recording will die and I am not sure if that is a good thing), I will dilute buy buying someone elses BluRay player... I'll just have to ignore that fact that whoever I buy it from will be writing a check to Sony...

I try to avoid Sony products also... I don't even LIKE Sony really.... but I do consider them a neccessary evil. And I don't think they're any worse then Microsoft and I consider both Sony and MS to be better then Walmart.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm

My sentiments regarding Sony are identical to yours (all).

However, when it comes to cutting off one's nose to spite their face.....

And so, I had to swallow my vomit back when shopping for a 40" LCD HDTV this Christmas.
I saw no point in saving 10% to get 15% less picture inside a frame which did not say Sony at the bottom. :(
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby algrinch on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:49 am

SithTracy wrote:All I have left is my 36 Wega TV........ and it freaks out and wants to be programmed all the time),

I also own a 36" Sony Flatscreen CRT TV that has recently started doing that. I followed the reset instructions in the manual and it has only done it once since. (3 weeks or so) I am keeping my fingers crossed. I paid $2000 about 5 years ago for this TV. I am not impressed.

I have had the misfortune of owning a number of Sony products. I have never been impressed. Their component CD Players being deserving of special note (they really suck). I can't see myself buying any of their crap in the future.

Here in Canada HD-DVD player $449 and Blu-Ray Player $1299. I know which one the average comsumer would buy.

If I ever get around to buying a player, its possible it will be blu-ray, but it won't be made by Sony.
"All Bibles are man made" - Thomas Edison
algrinch
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:31 pm

algrinch wrote:If I ever get around to buying a player, its possible it will be blu-ray, but it won't be made by Sony.

If you dig around on ebay you can get Samsung Blu-Ray players (new, in box) for $360-$400 USD :) (I know a couple of people who were HD DVD exclusive who went neutral via this method).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives