Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Spiderman 3 opinions (no spoilers)

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Spiderman 3 opinions (no spoilers)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat May 05, 2007 2:53 am

So I just got back from seeing Spiderman 3. I don't want to give anything away, but I have to say I was very disappointed. The writing, specifically the dialogue, was painful at times. The best scene had to have been the one with Bruce Campbell, although I did enjoy Harry Osborn's character.

What they did with Sandman should be criminal. His motivation didn't fit his actions at all to me.

I'd give it 2/5 stars at best. The silver lining of the movie was that it was very fun to laugh at, much in the same way that Doom the movie was fun to laugh at.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat May 05, 2007 3:07 am

I tried to go see it opening night, but I got there a bit too late and the show that I wanted to attend was sold out. :(

I'll have to try and see it another day...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat May 05, 2007 9:16 am

I'm going to see it today. I'll let you know what I think tonite.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Sat May 05, 2007 2:05 pm

It sucked. There were unintentionally funny parts though, and the theater soundtrack was awesome in my theater. People just shouted out so many funny things.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Wesociety on Sat May 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Current IMDB rating = 7.3/10
10,117 votes so far.

7.3 is a decent rating, especially with that volume of votes, but it doesn't look like the film is going to be the best of the year or anything too astounding. I'll see it either way since I've been a big Spiderman fan since I was a kid...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat May 05, 2007 8:56 pm

It was better than the first but not nearly as good as the second movie. I'm a little disappointed by how little screen time Venom got but I kinda expected that. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I will say that it was good to see two of the main characters work together at the end.

btw... Transformers is going to blow this movie out of the box office. :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Sat May 05, 2007 9:18 pm

I just missed seeing it... the theaters in my area were pre-sold out... Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow, but I really wanted out of the house tonight with my 8 year old getting a sleepover for her birthday. :-?
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Gen-An on Sat May 05, 2007 10:05 pm

I thought there were just too many plotlines going on for one movie. For the villain, it should have been all about Harry, or all about Venom, or all about Sandman, but not all three.
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Gen-An wrote:I thought there were just too many plotlines going on for one movie. For the villain, it should have been all about Harry, or all about Venom, or all about Sandman, but not all three.

I hear that! Once I heard about all of the characters that were supposed to be included in the film, I've been wondering how in the world they would be able to squeeze in all of the character and villain development into one movie...
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Sun May 06, 2007 6:49 pm

Everybody has good points.

I saw it. I'd disagree with Ian that it was better than the first, but perhaps that's just because I liked the character development of Peter Parker especially in that movie. Which has been the best part of the trilogy as a whole, IMO. What I've liked so far about the movies is that they emphasize the "man" in "Spiderman".

Since I'm not a follower of the comic series, I can't comment on how true-to-book some characters are. I do wish the Sandman had been more fully developed in the movie; he lacked a depth they could have given him, and some of his actions seemed out-of-line with the character he was supposed to be.

I enjoyed the movie overall. There were some great scenes (I especially liked the one in the jazz club, as well as Bruce Campbell's performance, that's the most I can say without spoilers) and I like Raimi's work throughout the trilogy in emphasizing that our choices make us.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Sun May 06, 2007 9:28 pm

I just saw it and while I did enjoy it, it was my least favorite of the three. That said, Sam Raimi did an outstanding job of giving my childhood comic book hero a new life, at least in my eyes... and I enjoyed it more because my eight year old daughter went with me and she liked it... she was crying at the end.

Bruce Campbell's small part was excellent in all three. And here is my vote to bring back Ash and the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness. I heard rumors some time ago about an follow-up to that series, but they faded away... I guess Spider-Man meant more money for Raimi. It's time to take a spidy-break and let Bruce shine in Army II or something.

Ah well, I did enjoy it and any fan of the series should see it on the big screen.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun May 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Three more movies on the way...

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=11038

I guess they gotta suck every dollar they can from the franchise.

What the hell was Stan Lee saying to Spiderman in the movie? Was there some secret meaning there that I'm missing?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Sun May 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Ian wrote:Three more movies on the way...

WOW! :o
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Sun May 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Ian wrote:Three more movies on the way...
Well, four if you count the fact that Evil Dead IV is coming too!!!! OK - not really Spider-man, but Ash rocks. We used to get together have a few beers and Pizza and watch the Evil Dead movies... the last two were hilarious.

I'll probably see the next three web-slinger flicks, but they ended this one in a classy way.

Let's see Mysterio, Scorpian, The Lizard, Carnage, Kraven??? Which villain will it be?
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Lizard. We've already been introduced to Dr. Connors.

I really hope they don't use it.. but there's also the character of the Hobgoblin.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Mon May 07, 2007 9:47 am

The article noted that it wasn't commented on whether Raimi or Maguire would be back.

I think most would agree though that they'd be extremely foolish not to get the original director and cast on board. I don't think a second set of movies would have the same success without it.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 am

While I would like to see a true Hobgoblin, I kinda think the Goblin series has run it's course for now... perhaps in Spidey 5 or 6... But introducing The Lizard at some point makes sense and since some of the "parasite/Symbiote" remained at Conners lab, I expect Carnage could come from that.... There is a huge possibility for good story lines for these films.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 am

My god, this movie was a debacle...where to begin?

1. Sandman was entirely contrived and the movie would have lost nothing of any value if the character were completely eliminated. His plot interactions were so thin that had you removed his scenes and the entirely forced and nonsensical police station scene. "Oh, but his effects were soooooooooo cool!" Shut up. If you use effects to justify existence in a movie, just shut up. Effects are used to effectively tell the plot, not a self-referential source of existence. That police station scene (with Peter, Aunt May, and the Police chief) to give Sandman relevance to the plot was so forced it made his actual uselessness to the plot all the more apparent. I hated this character. He is everything bad about movies.

2. New Goblin?!?! NEW GOBLIN?!!? What the hell kind of craptastic character development was that? Why did he even have a mask if he never kept it on? Why was he ever "evil" or exposed to the crazy gas if some bad Alfred Pennyworth impression was going to turn him around instantly? This was one of the few stories that was going to make sense until they decide to crapify it.

3. Venom oh my god Venom. The closest thing to a developed character that went totally south through forced writing. "Jesus, can you kill Peter Parker?" What the crap? They took part of the actual origin of Venom, mixed it with one part poor writing and one part crap and came up with this. Eddie Brock knew of the symbiote's vulnerability to sound and that was why he was at the church. But this beautiful set of coincidences was just sooooo awful that it completely killed anything else they had set up.

4. Gwen Stacey? Why was she in the movie at all? For that matter, what the heck did Mary Jane do except for sing twice and whine? Gwen Stacey should have been "Girl Spider-Man Kisses" in the credits and that had been her only scene. Mary Jane did nothing relevant to develop the plot.

5. When did Tobey Maguire stop bulking up a bit for the part? And where the hell was his mask? He kept taking it off. I went to see Spider-Man, not Tobey Maguire-Man.

Not just the worst Spider-Man movie, but a pretty craptastic movie overall. I give it a 2.5/10.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby hoxlund on Mon May 07, 2007 11:46 am

i was let down, but then again i was with my GF so i didn't give the movie my full attention

but still from seeing the movie comparing it to the other 2, it was sorta lame and long and really couldn't wait to get out
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 07, 2007 5:14 pm

hoxlund wrote:i was let down, but then again i was with my GF so i didn't give the movie my full attention

but still from seeing the movie comparing it to the other 2, it was sorta lame and long and really couldn't wait to get out

Yeah, I started feeling like I wanted to leave during the last battle. I just gave up all hope, and had to force myself to sit through it.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Mon May 07, 2007 5:33 pm

It did feel a bit rushed, kinda like X3... let's all hope the Fantastic Four sequel rocks!
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Morpheus on Mon May 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Yeah, I'm planning on see this tomorrow. I still can't believe they have Sandman in it. He's one of the low-end Spider-Man villians. I guy I know said that one of Rami's first Spider-Man comcs that he owned had Sandman in it, and he always liked the character so that's why he's in the movie. LAME! I saw the 7-minute preview about a month ago, with Harry as the new goblin fighting Peter Parker. What the hell was that? Harry was not a goblin - some black outfit with goggles and a flying skateboard - I don't think so. I'm going in expecting it to either suck or be so-so.

What I would like, web-shooters and his other gear like the spider-tracers (more comic less movie changes). For villians, the Vulture, Scorpion, maybe Mysterio.
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon May 07, 2007 9:03 pm

SithTracy wrote:It did feel a bit rushed, kinda like X3... let's all hope the Fantastic Four sequel rocks!

I was looking forward to it until I heard that Galactus was going to be represented by a big cloud. That's almost as bad as giving Optimus Prime flames.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Morpheus on Tue May 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Ok, I just saw Spider-Man 3 today. It was OK/Average and I give it a 5 out 10 (the same as the other 2 movies). Why is Sandman in the movie? He hardly did anything. Likewise Gwen Stacy, it was if they added her as an afterthought. Spider-Man in the black costume - about 3 scenes - that needed more time. Also Venom only came in at the end of the movie (about the last 30 minutes) - definitely needed more airtime. I would have prefered the movie to be Spider-Man vs Venom.

Things I didn't like: at the beginning of the movie when Peter sees MJ doing her play, when she was singing, he was mouthing the words - chessy! When Peter was walking down the street doing those stupid dance moves, and the women were giving him strange looks and running away - extremely chessy!! I was actually shaking my head in disbelief at that. The Daily Bugle/JJJ office scene - when Betty Brant was buzzing him and his whole desk was vibrating - Cheap humour! At the end of the movie when the symbiote pulled away from eddie's head (several times), you can see that he had pointed teeth - wrong! You could barely see the large spider design on Venom's chest and back - it was suppose to be white. They never used the symbiote's chameleon ability or that it responded to Peter's mental commands to come on to his body or to leave his body. And how did the symbiote get in his apartment anyway?

So many faults, and not that many good things. One very disappointed big-time Spider-Man fan. Waited 20+ years for the first Spider-Man movie only to be let down big-time (with 5 years or so for #2 and #3). :evil:
Morpheus
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Gwen was eye candy. Plain and simple.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to The Beer Garden