Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Memorex MRX-525G 18x DVD±RW/RAM Playback Problems!

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby pmstall on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:47 am

Hello to everyone,
I am a newbe to the site and was wondering if anyone has had problems with this drive. I installed it on my HP Media Center PCm7067c and it stops and plays stops and plays and then freeze up. I have sent the second drive back to memorex and have done everything they asked me to do. To no avail nothing has worked. I also installed it on my old Hp XP Pro and a Dell I got from my neice and no luck. All the other Players work just fine on my machines but this one. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem with this drive? Also has anyone got any suggestions!
PMStall
pmstall
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:11 am

It sounds like the drive isn't reading the video fast enough. This is usually caused by DMA not being enabled or an incorrect IDE configuration.

What did Memorex have you do?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Memorex

Postby pmstall on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 am

They first had me download a new Player and that didn't work! I recieved the other drive yesterday (26th) and it is doing the same thing. I can drop the same DVD Movie in the DVD-Rom below it and it works fine. It came with Nero7Essentials (Not installed). I read on the TroubleShooter that you shouldn't have more than one Player installed. So I Deleted MusicMatch, iTunes,Realplayer,InteVideo,Roxio and Quicktime last night. Just to use the Media Player and No Luck!

How can I check the DMA to see if that is it?
DMA- is located in the Hardware Resources category in System Information. It displays information about your system's direct memory access (DMA). DMA transfers data between system memory and hardware devices without passing it through the CPU. The Resource column in the details pane displays the DMA channel that is being used by the device, which is listed in the Device column. The Status column displays the status of the device.

If the Status column indicates an error, such as Error, Degraded, Unknown, Pred Fail, Starting, Stopping, or Service
DMA
Channel 3 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
Channel 4 Direct memory access controller OK

Signed: Just plain stumped
pmstall
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:36 am

Here's the FAQ on enabling DMA in Windows XP:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

There's also a FAQ that covers various problems you might have:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

You've checked your IDE cable and your jumper settings, right?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby pmstall on Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 am

Hi Ian,
Well I had a few things to do but, I installed the drive after I recieved it and it still didn't work. I followed your links and tried some of the suggestions. Well finaly it works!
Here is what I went thru!
First thing when I got back on Sat is to Reformat the HD Dr. to see if maybe I was missing some Drivers or something got Deleted. I didn't install any extra's till I checked out to see if the drive was gonna work. So I installed it as the Master drive and it didn't work. Then I checked your Links to see if I could use anything there. I went to the DMA settings and changed the Auto Detection to None. Put the drive in as a Slave and it worked. Now I have to see if it is going to Record????
This is a Great site and you are a BIG Help.
Thanks
I will let you know!
pmstall
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed May 09, 2007 10:29 am

That's good to hear. Let us know what happens.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Memorex MRX-525G 18x DVD±RW/RAM

Postby pmstall on Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Hello everyone,
I had to let everyone know that the drive is working fine so far. I plays and it records. Thanks So Much to your links and the help!
PMStall =D>
pmstall
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers