Home News Reviews Forums Shop

TotalHD failed, so a new solution?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

TotalHD failed, so a new solution?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 14, 2007 12:24 pm

With TotalHD missing in action, and presumed dead, it looks like Warner Brothers has discovered their next solution to the format war. Mixing HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs in a single release.

The attached pictures are from a single set of Planet Earth which was supposed to be in Blu-Ray format. The set has 4 discs in total, and this particular package has 2 HD DVDs, and 2 Blu-Ray discs.

Oops! :o
Attachments
PE_1.jpg
PE_1.jpg (147.13 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
PE_2.jpg
PE_2.jpg (141.61 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon May 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Crazy! Time for the questions:

Where did you hear about this? What website are the pictures from?

Does the retail package mention BOTH Blu-ray and HD DVD, or were the HD DVD discs some sort of surprise?

Is the cost of this retail package elevated compared to just a Blu-ray only release, and if so, by how much?

Also, I wonder if AACS licensing costs must be paid out twice in this type of situation, or if the studio / distributor gets some sort of deal... I guess that is a question for any studio / distributor that releases movies in both formats.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon May 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Wesociety wrote:Crazy! Time for the questions:

Where did you hear about this? What website are the pictures from?

Does the retail package mention BOTH Blu-ray and HD DVD, or were the HD DVD discs some sort of surprise?

Is the cost of this retail package elevated compared to just a Blu-ray only release, and if so, by how much?

Also, I wonder if AACS licensing costs must be paid out twice in this type of situation, or if the studio / distributor gets some sort of deal... I guess that is a question for any studio / distributor that releases movies in both formats.

Here's the link to where I saw the news:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=8614

The pictures are re-hosted to save them some bandwidth, it was a free picture serving company they were using I think, and I didn't think it would last with all our traffic :wink:

Basically it's a packaging mistake at the plant. But It's kind of funny (and unfortunate for the person who bought the set!)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon May 14, 2007 1:09 pm

Ahhh yeah, my bad. I didn't realize that discs 1 and 4 were Blu-ray, while discs 2 and 3 were HD DVD. I should have looked closer!

That's quite a packaging mistake! I wonder how wide spread it is ?
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Mon May 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Maybe LG paid them off to bolster sales of the dual-format players...
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives