Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Good place to buy Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Good place to buy Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x?

Postby pika2000 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:47 am

Anybody knows a good place online to get Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x at a decent price? Most online stores seem only to have 2.4x ones. Locally, only Bestbuy ever stock these, and they're not that good in keeping them in stock either. Other B&M stores don't seem to carry Verbatim, not even my local Frys/CompUSA. Oh, I'm in the US BTW.
pika2000
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:13 am

I can't tell how much Bestbuy.com sells them for because their site is being updates right now... but as far as I can see you've got 3 choices in North America for cheap 8x DVD+RDL from Verbatim:

Microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0259490
Verbatim 8x DVD+RDL 15pc Spindle - $39.99 USD + Shipping
Should be about $45.98 USD + any sales tax the might be applicable depending on where you live and if Microcenter has a store there or not.
Shipping says 5-7 days, so I'm not sure they actually have them in stock... it's a VERY hard to get product!

NCIX.com:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... omoid=1051
Verbatim 8x DVD+RDL 15pc Spindle - $38.99 CAD + Shipping
(on sale, regular price is $39.99 CAD + Shipping)
Probably about $51.80 USD
On the other hand, I know they have stock on hand, so it ships sooner.

Bestbuy:
(Can't tell their pricing because the online site is down currently).

You might have an easier time with availability with the Verbatim 8x DVD+RDL 5pk though.

Good luck :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pika2000 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:22 am

Wow. I intentionally left the thread. Almost 400 views but only 1 answer from dolphin? :D

Anyway, Bestbuy is selling the 15pc for MSRP $39.99. I just can't believe the stupidity of this market. There are plenty of 8x to 10x DL burners, yet finding a reliable 8x media is hard. Plus after all these years and the intro of blu-ray, I expected the price of DL media to be lower than what this is.
pika2000
CD-RW Thug

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:35 am

I think that shows how bad the pricing is on 8x DL media right now. I can't remember the last time I saw Verbatim discs on sale.

It's even worse with DVD-R DL media. We can't even buy 8x rated discs in the US. :evil:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby evilboy on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:50 pm

However not many actually use DVD-R DL.
evilboy
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm

evilboy wrote:However not many actually use DVD-R DL.

Not many devices can actually READ BACK DVD-RDL though :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:45 pm

A brick and mortar shop I go to in Calgary always has the 5 packs in stock, @$18CAD, reg price. Too bad they are such a premium over the 2.4X Verb's, I really like the quality of the 8X'ers.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 am

Grain wrote:A brick and mortar shop I go to in Calgary always has the 5 packs in stock, @$18CAD, reg price. Too bad they are such a premium over the 2.4X Verb's, I really like the quality of the 8X'ers.

MemoryExpress?

That's not even a good price for the 5pks though. You should be able to get them closer to $15.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:40 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:MemoryExpress?

That's not even a good price for the 5pks though. You should be able to get them closer to $15.

I wasn't impling that it was a good price, but rather that they always have them instock. Even $15 isn't a good price in my books. Verb does use nice cd jewel cases, but I have a couple feet of empty ones already, I'd rather save money.

Correct on MemoryExpress. I've bot a lot of hardware from them in the past. They aren't always the cheapest, but most of the time they are. Great inventory.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:58 pm

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:MemoryExpress?

I wasn't impling that it was a good price, but rather that they always have them instock. Even $15 isn't a good price in my books. Verb does use nice cd jewel cases, but I have a couple feet of empty ones already, I'd rather save money.

Correct on MemoryExpress. I've bot a lot of hardware from them in the past. They aren't always the cheapest, but most of the time they are. Great inventory.

I'm a little biased against them personally, but it's not for anything that would affect anyone else.

Verbatim is just having huge problems with producing enough DVD+RDL product right now... so pricing remains high.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:52 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim is just having huge problems with producing enough DVD+RDL product right now... so pricing remains high.

I was quite surprised to see that FS actually had a "decent" stock of 2.4X DL's this past weekend, had about 30 spindles. Normally they only have 5 or less on hand.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Verbatim is just having huge problems with producing enough DVD+RDL product right now... so pricing remains high.

I was quite surprised to see that FS actually had a "decent" stock of 2.4X DL's this past weekend, had about 30 spindles. Normally they only have 5 or less on hand.

That's pretty normal for my closest location, but they don't sell well there it seems. In fact, the blank media section at my futureshop has shrunk by about half in the last 4-5 months in general.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:00 pm

My local FS also had a lower than normal DVD inventory (with the exception of Verb DL's :-? ). They had some Memorex SpinX 75 disc packs(no spindle) that are so poorly shrinkwrapped that the discs slid about inside! I would expect a lot of small scratches on them as a result, so I wasn't about to give them a whirl. That and I already have a mountain of crap test media.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Grain wrote:My local FS also had a lower than normal DVD inventory (with the exception of Verb DL's :-? ). They had some Memorex SpinX 75 disc packs(no spindle) that are so poorly shrinkwrapped that the discs slid about inside! I would expect a lot of small scratches on them as a result, so I wasn't about to give them a whirl. That and I already have a mountain of crap test media.

Yeah, those Spin-X are fugly... the packaging seems to break very easily too, I don't think I've ever seen a display without a number of broken packages with discs spilling out.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion