Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New Apple iMac

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

New Apple iMac

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:05 pm

Attachments
imac keyboard.jpg
imac keyboard.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:18 pm

No way I could use that keyboard... I don't type soft... My big 'ol hands would shred that wimpy keyboard in seconds.

Glad I got a Toxic Deck Legend! Kinda has the feel of the old IBM keyboards...
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 pm

That keyboard is for people that don't actually use their computer. It's nothing more than a desk decoration.

I miss the old mechanical IBM keyboards. They're built like tanks but you knew it when you clicked on a key.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:39 am

I used the Tandy keyboards that also had a very nice tactile feel and click when you hit a key, very hard to find one today like that. I have logitech wireless ones now mainly because the no cable thing is great, and they do have some extra goodies, but the feel is bad. I've had worse but these are just tactile enough to not totally suck. If they could make one that clicks, is wireless, and had the extras I'd be in heaven.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Justin42 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Gee, when IBM released that keyboard on the PCjr people actually complained... now it's some revolution in computing.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Well I'm sure it's personal preference and some just don't like the noise but I like the solid click and feel when I press a key. Plus it's pretty much what I started out with.
I used to keep a quiet keyboard around that had no feel at all just for playing keyboard based games like Tetris where the easy to mash fast keys came in handy to set hi scores.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I've used the new keyboard both on the Macbook (same keyboard style), and the new wired keyboards that they had with this new iMac at the Apple Store, and overall, it's not bad.

As far as keyboards go, I like it, though not as much as the old style Apple Wireless Keyboard I have, or, say, the Logitech G15 keyboard that my dad has. Heck, I may have even considered getting the new wireless one if it had a full numeric keypad on the right hand side like the wired one does. I use that quite a bit, and can't imagine having a desktop without one.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby LoneWolf on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:47 pm

Ian wrote:That keyboard is for people that don't actually use their computer. It's nothing more than a desk decoration.

I miss the old mechanical IBM keyboards. They're built like tanks but you knew it when you clicked on a key.

Agreed. There's a reason I have an IBM Model M at home, and at work, and got one for my wife. You can find them used if you hunt around. I find "built like tanks" to be a plus. You not only know when you click on a key, but the keys are never soft, but never sticky either. You can remove all the keys to clean them if necessary, and the cord is removable/replaceable. I'm pretty sure I could drop one off a three-story building, pick it up from the ground (possibly putting a few keys on that might have popped off), plug it back in, and it would work. The removable cord also makes it a great emergency blunt-trauma weapon in case of home invasion. ;)

As for the new iMac, at first I was ticked that Apple continues to pull this crap; releasing systems just in time for students for back-to-school but months too late for K-12 school purchases for the year. But after seeing the high-gloss screen and the new keyboard, I'll pass. I'm fine with the 20" white iMacs we just bought. Now, if only I could be happy with the way Mac OS X networking works --but that's not one I'm going to hold my breath on.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden