Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problems enabling DMA in Windows XP (Please Help)

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Problems enabling DMA in Windows XP (Please Help)

Postby wharfrat11 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:42 am

Hello Everyone,

Ran into some problem after installing Clone DVD v2.9.1.1. The usual issues of PIO Mode on my Primary Drive causing slow read/write speeds (1.4x for dvds & around 7x for cds). This is effecting everything I do from burning cds (with Roxio), burning dvds (with shrink/decryptor), converting flac files, reading my external hd when it boots, so on and so on. Took about 2 hrs+ last nite to rip/shrink/burn the first disc in season one for the show Dexter.

I've been through the FAQ's (How to Enable DMA in XP & Problems Enabling DMA in XP) and cannot get this to work but I think I've found the problem (probably not since this is a little too much technology for me). In device manager IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I've got something weird going on (at least to me). I have two Primary IDE Channels & one Secondary IDE Channel. Is this normal? One of the Primary & the Second IDE channel have all the right settings (Transfer Mode says DMA is avaliable/ Current Transfer Mode Ultar DMA Mode 5). In the other Primary IDE Channel (it's the second one listed going down from the top) I can select in Transfer Mode "DMA is avaliable" but the Current Transfer Mode PIO Mode is stuck. It will not allow me to click in the field and it will not change. Has anyone seen something like this before? Why would there be two Primary IDE Channels listed? I'm not sure about disabeling drives and such as I'm not sure how to go about and figured I'd ask here first for suggestions. How can I tell which Primary has my OS on it before disabeling? Like I said before everything looks okay with the one Primary & the Secondary Channel but it's this second Primary Channel that's fubar.

Sorry to be long winded and hope this is the right forum for this issue. Hope I included all the right info for help. If I've left out any details let me know and I'm thankful in advance for anyone's help.

Mike
wharfrat11
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:26 am

First off, please don't cross post. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules before you post again.

Now that I got that out of the way... Have you tried deleting the IDE controllers from Device Manager? When you reboot, the system will find them and hopefully install the drivers with the correct settings.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby wharfrat11 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:51 am

sorry about that, i should have known better and done some rule reading before i posted. just a little frustrated. my bad. as far as deleating the IDE controllers from device manager, should i do this for all three of them i'm seeing. just the primary one thats showing me the wrong info. or both primary ones? wher do i go about doing this? in the advanced settings tab?
wharfrat11
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Yes... delete them all. They will be re-detected on reboot and hopefully correctly.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby wharfrat11 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:15 pm

so pretty much open each channel, head to the driver tab(?) and select uninstall? after i do this for all three. reboot and see where i'm at? sorry if these are stupid questions, just dont want to mess this up more.
wharfrat11
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm

wharfrat11 wrote:so pretty much open each channel, head to the driver tab(?) and select uninstall? after i do this for all three. reboot and see where i'm at? sorry if these are stupid questions, just dont want to mess this up more.

Yep.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby wharfrat11 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 pm

i uninstalled and rebooted. i still have two primary and one secondary listed. the first primary and secondary have the correct settings but the other primary one still allows me to change the transfer mode to dma if avaliable but the current transfer field is pio mode and will not allow me to enter the field? suggestions?
wharfrat11
Buffer Underrun

Postby wharfrat11 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:53 pm

i went back and uninstalled the channels again. starting with the fubar one first. rebooted and now the setting look correct. gonna see what i get with burning a dvd. thank you so much for your help thus far. crossing my fingers and hoping it's fixed. you guys are great!

Everything seems to be working fine now. Once again thanks for the help.
wharfrat11
Buffer Underrun

Postby redk9258 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:07 am

wharfrat11 wrote:i went back and uninstalled the channels again. starting with the fubar one first. rebooted and now the setting look correct. gonna see what i get with burning a dvd. thank you so much for your help thus far. crossing my fingers and hoping it's fixed. you guys are great!

Everything seems to be working fine now. Once again thanks for the help.

If you still have trouble, you may want to consider replacing the ribbon cables. Make sure they are 80 conductor.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion