Home News Reviews Forums Shop

External DVD burner

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

External DVD burner

Postby ramspot on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:29 pm

I need a reliable way to store my pictures. After several hours of reading reviews, I am looking for any word on LaCie...I don't need Firewire so the LaCie 301197U. Does anyone have experience with this model or with LaCie drives? If not is there another external DVD burner that you might recommend?

Thanks, Nancy
ramspot
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:41 pm

I haven't looked at a LaCie drive in ages, but my impressions were primarily positive. One thing to take note of is that LaCie doesn't make the drives. They usually take one from some manufacturer and toss it in a fancy case.

Anyone know what drives they're using these days?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: External DVD burner

Postby redk9258 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 pm

ramspot wrote:I need a reliable way to store my pictures. After several hours of reading reviews, I am looking for any word on LaCie...I don't need Firewire so the LaCie 301197U. Does anyone have experience with this model or with LaCie drives? If not is there another external DVD burner that you might recommend?

Thanks, Nancy

If you are looking for reliability, I would not look to recordable DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if discs you burn today are unreadable in 5 years. If you must, make sure you make redundant copies on different brands of media. Also, check these discs every so often to make sure there are no errors. I keep all of my pictures on a harddrive which is backed up to a separate harddrive. With the costs of harddrives so cheap now, maybe you could store your pictures on both DVD and harddrive.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby ramspot on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:54 pm

How about the Memorex (18X External Double layer) that is selling at Staples for $70 today?

ps: I do have a 250 GB external HD which is rapidly filling up. I need to organize my backup system and use the windows utility instead of just copying.
ramspot
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:19 pm

ramspot wrote:How about the Memorex (18X External Double layer) that is selling at Staples for $70 today?

If its based on the LG GSA-H22N like their internal, its a good drive. You may be able to find an external for less online though.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ramspot on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks, Ian. I have it sitting on my desk and will hook it up and report. How do you know who makes the innards (ie your comment re LaCie)?
ramspot
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers