Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG Launches BH200 Super Blu Player - supports HDi!

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

LG Launches BH200 Super Blu Player - supports HDi!

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:05 am

I guess LG couldn't leave Samsung's challenge unanswered. They're going to release a new dual-format high-def player in mid-October. Unlike the BH100, the BH200 supports HDi interactivity. It sounds like they've updated BD-Java as well.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 707&EDATE=

LG Electronics, the first company to introduce a dual-format high-definition disc player, today unveiled its second-generation LG Super Blu(TM) Player (model BH200). Sporting both formats' logos, LG's new high-def player is capable of Blu-ray disc and HD DVD playback with advanced BD-Java and HDi interactivity, enabling consumers to choose from the widest variety of high-def content regardless of disc format.

On display for the first time at the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association (CEDIA) EXPO 2007 (booth #720), LG's Super Blu Player will be available to U.S. consumers and custom installers in mid-October at a suggested retail price of $999.

It's still too expensive. I can't believe they didn't drop the price of the drive to say $700.. especially when they're selling their second-gen PC drives at half the price of the first-gen ones.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:45 am

Advanced BD-Java is normal I think. It's capable of doing everything HDi is able to do (and more) except for 1080p PiP, which is what BD-J 1.1 is for. BD-J 2.0 is BD-Live which handles internet connectivity. It doesn't sound to me like BD-J 1.1 or 2.0 are supported by this player :(
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: LG Launches BH200 Super Blu Player - supports HDi!

Postby MediumRare on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:23 pm

Ian wrote:It's still too expensive.

It's even worse in Europe. According to heise it'll be selling for ca. 1600 Euros. I don't know what justifies a factor of 2 in this price region. It's completely absurd. :evil:

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Grain on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm

They obviously aren't looking to sell many units at that price, which begs the question, why bother?.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Grain wrote:They obviously aren't looking to sell many units at that price, which begs the question, why bother?.

I really can't help but agree :-?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:39 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Advanced BD-Java is normal I think. It's capable of doing everything HDi is able to do (and more) except for 1080p PiP, which is what BD-J 1.1 is for. BD-J 2.0 is BD-Live which handles internet connectivity. It doesn't sound to me like BD-J 1.1 or 2.0 are supported by this player :(

And here's another reason why BD is going to have a hard time finding traction this holiday season...yay for unfinalized specs.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 am

vinnie97 wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Advanced BD-Java is normal I think. It's capable of doing everything HDi is able to do (and more) except for 1080p PiP, which is what BD-J 1.1 is for. BD-J 2.0 is BD-Live which handles internet connectivity. It doesn't sound to me like BD-J 1.1 or 2.0 are supported by this player :(

And here's another reason why BD is going to have a hard time finding traction this holiday season...yay for unfinalized specs.

Personally, I see having 1080P as the minimum resolution to be of greater importance then 1080P PiP capabilities.

But then again, I don't subscribe to the "it's good enough" concept that many who bought into HD DVD now use as a battle cry when raging flame wars against Blu-Ray supporters.

But that's the funny thing about me I guess... I buy DVDs and BDs for the MOVIE content.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 pm

Well BD is screwed if they don't start dropping player prices to reality. I'm not paying a grand or 700 for a combo unit, and I wont pay that kind of money for a one format player either no matter how good it is. My DVD's look pretty good on a upconverting player and I can buy them dirt cheap, plus I more or less can do with them as I please no matter who says different
I have seen hd playback and it is steller but I can wait on price :wink:
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:13 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
vinnie97 wrote:

Personally, I see having 1080P as the minimum resolution to be of greater importance then 1080P PiP capabilities.

But then again, I don't subscribe to the "it's good enough" concept that many who bought into HD DVD now use as a battle cry when raging flame wars against Blu-Ray supporters.

But that's the funny thing about me I guess... I buy DVDs and BDs for the MOVIE content.

Apparently, some strange folk out there want *more* for their money when chocking down $20-$30 on a film. :-?
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:59 pm

I applaud both LG and Samsung for their innovation in releasing dual format players, but I don't think we will see a reasonable price on this type of player until the Chinese manufacturers get involved.

With both Blu-ray and HD DVD camps boasting Chinese members now, it's definitely a possibility for the future...
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives