Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Panasonic Claims Blu-ray Will Win By New Years Day

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Panasonic Claims Blu-ray Will Win By New Years Day

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Any bets as to whether they'll be able to pull this off?

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-978939 ... 7-1_3-0-20

Blu-ray manufacturers are going to start cutting prices and go out on a promotional binge this holiday season, Matsushita Electric Industrial's Kazuhiro Tsuga said during a briefing with reporters at Ceatec, a large tech trade show that started here Tuesday. At Matsushita, which is best known for its Panasonic brand name, Tsuga is an executive officer who oversees networking efforts, some home electronics technologies and overseas labs, and other areas.

By the end of the Christmas season or the end of the first quarter, the writing will be on the wall. The format war in earnest may last only another year, he predicted.

"The BD (Blu-ray disc) companies will try to do our best to promote Blu-ray," he said. "The studios want us to put money in to promote it."

He added: "By the end of the year, you will see good products with very good promotion."

The Blu-ray coalition is also working on ways to cut the price of slim Blu-ray drives and recorders to allow the technology to infiltrate notebooks and PCs.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:49 pm

I have a $20 bill that say's it won't be over by Christmas, or the end of the first quarter of 2008. Only way IMO it will be over by then is if both pack it in (IMO that won't happen in that time frame either). Any takers?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Grain wrote:I have a $20 bill that say's it won't be over by Christmas, or the end of the first quarter of 2008. Only way IMO it will be over by then is if both pack it in (IMO that won't happen in that time frame either). Any takers?

Is it $20 CAD? or $20 USD ($19.93 CAD :P )???

And the only thing I can really agree with on this is that we should know the final outcome of the format war by the end of January. And like the guy from Panasonic said, it'll linger a year after that probably. Although the final outcome might be both formats dying.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:43 pm

By the end of the Christmas season or the end of the first quarter, the writing will be on the wall. The format war in earnest may last only another year, he predicted.

So yeah... by the end of Christmas season or by the end of the first quarter. He sure is leaving a lot of timeframes in his "prediction". But wait... I thought the war was already long over??? (said Sony earlier this year)
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Wesociety wrote:

So yeah... by the end of Christmas season or by the end of the first quarter. He sure is leaving a lot of timeframes in his "prediction". But wait... I thought the war was already long over??? (said Sony earlier this year)

Well, they're probably unsure about when something is going to happen, either around Christmas, or CES, or end of first quarter. But I agree it's a bit silly to make such a bold statement, and then give such a wishy-washy time frame.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Is it $20 CAD? or $20 USD ($19.93 CAD :P )???

And the only thing I can really agree with on this is that we should know the final outcome of the format war by the end of January. And like the guy from Panasonic said, it'll linger a year after that probably. Although the final outcome might be both formats dying.

$20C 8) You think it could be done by the end of January? I really don't see it myself, but your closer to the "in" folks than I. Absolutely none of my friends, family or co-workers have intentions of investing in either format this Christmas season. Using Joe Blow as a guage, it will be a slow shopping season for both formats.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:35 am

Grain wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Is it $20 CAD? or $20 USD ($19.93 CAD :P )???

$20C 8) You think it could be done by the end of January? I really don't see it myself, but your closer to the "in" folks than I. Absolutely none of my friends, family or co-workers have intentions of investing in either format this Christmas season. Using Joe Blow as a guage, it will be a slow shopping season for both formats.

They don't need to buy into it this Christmas... most consumers don't. What we need is for people to buy HDTV's this Christmas! Early adopters will still shape this war for everyone I believe. Then CES will likely tell us what the events of the Q4 have brought us in terms of industry support and consumer electronics. If the war is going to end at all (for one or both formats), I think most people will know it by then or a little afterwards (sometimes companies wait to do things until after CES).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives