Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HD DVD Closing Sales Gap

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HD DVD Closing Sales Gap

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:45 am

Everywhere I look, Blu-ray fans are going nuts over the latest numbers from Home Media Research. What they're not seeing is that while Blu-ray is still in the lead, the gap is actually shrinking.

Three months ago, Home Media Research reported (http://www.reuters.com/article/companyN ... 6920070815) that Blu-ray (1.6 million units) outsold HD DVD (795,000 units) by a clear 2:1 ratio.

Now, the latest numbers from Home Media Research (http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... 2020071024) show that Blu-ray (2.6 million units) is still outselling HD DVD (1.4 million units). However, the ratio has grown smaller. If you do the math, the ratio is more like 1.86:1.

And no, these numbers don't include Transformers. :P
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:55 am

Keep in mind, most of these numbers are from the point in time where Fox wasn't releasing anything on Blu-Ray. I think this quarter will be quite telling however :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:22 pm

I agree. It will be interesting with Fox and Transformers in the mix.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Grain on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:54 pm

It should be hard for anyone to get excited about any of those numbers, considering Transformers sold twice as many SD DVD's in one week as both HiDef formats did total titles in 9 months :o .

I think I'll have to buy a BluRay player to stack on my HD-DVD player which I'll stack on my SACD player which I'll stack on my LD player.....
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:14 am

Grain wrote:It should be hard for anyone to get excited about any of those numbers, considering Transformers sold twice as many SD DVD's in one week as both HiDef formats did total titles in 9 months :o .

I think I'll have to buy a BluRay player to stack on my HD-DVD player which I'll stack on my SACD player which I'll stack on my LD player.....

Get a 60GB PS3 and throw out the SACD player.... it'll at least save you some room :wink:
(the 60GB PS3 has SACD support, I don't believe the new 40GB model does though)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:36 am

Grain wrote:I think I'll have to buy a BluRay player to stack on my HD-DVD player which I'll stack on my SACD player which I'll stack on my LD player.....

The hardware vendors must love you. :o

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Grain on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:15 am

Yeah, I've bot more than my share of electronics :-?

I'd be all over a PS3 for a BD player if they had a built in audio decoder ie. hidef 5.1 or 6.1 analog out, my Yamaha RX-Z1 amp doesn't have hdmi in connections, and I have no intention of replacing it. Using a coaxial or toslink audio cable only results in "old school" surround sound, no better than SD DVD :x .
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:40 am

Here are the stats for last week. Even with Transformers, HD DVD didn't outsell Blu-ray.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/h ... e_ID=11439

Blu-ray Disc titles began outselling HD DVD titles early in the year and have consistently maintained an edge, week after week. Even Paramount Home Entertainment’s release of the DreamWorks theatrical blockbuster Transformers exclusively on the HD DVD format didn’t tip the scale last week. Though there was no hot new Blu-ray Disc release, consumers continued to buy more Blu-ray Discs than HD DVDs for the week ended Oct. 21, albeit by a slim 51% to 49% edge. Paramount says Transformers sold 190,000 units its first week in stores, but Home Media Magazine market research and studio estimates puts the actual number of units that sold through to consumers closer to 115,000.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:43 am

Though there was no hot new Blu-ray Disc release, consumers continued to buy more Blu-ray Discs than HD DVDs for the week ended Oct. 21, albeit by a slim 51% to 49% edge.

That was a damn close week. Those 2 for 1 Blu-ray Disc sales must have helped keep Blu-ray on top.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:08 am

Ian wrote:Here are the stats for last week. Even with Transformers, HD DVD didn't outsell Blu-ray.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/h ... e_ID=11439

Blu-ray Disc titles began outselling HD DVD titles early in the year and have consistently maintained an edge, week after week. Even Paramount Home Entertainment’s release of the DreamWorks theatrical blockbuster Transformers exclusively on the HD DVD format didn’t tip the scale last week. Though there was no hot new Blu-ray Disc release, consumers continued to buy more Blu-ray Discs than HD DVDs for the week ended Oct. 21, albeit by a slim 51% to 49% edge. Paramount says Transformers sold 190,000 units its first week in stores, but Home Media Magazine market research and studio estimates puts the actual number of units that sold through to consumers closer to 115,000.

I can also spin it to say that with 10 times the available hardware on the market and a BOGO deal across all major outlets, Blu-Ray managed to roughly sell about the same as HD DVD.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:39 pm

vinnie97 wrote:I can also spin it to say that with 10 times the available hardware on the market and a BOGO deal across all major outlets, Blu-Ray managed to roughly sell about the same as HD DVD.

Ha! Nice spin indeed.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 am

vinnie97 wrote:I can also spin it to say that with 10 times the available hardware on the market and a BOGO deal across all major outlets, Blu-Ray managed to roughly sell about the same as HD DVD.

Careful, you'll get a job as a lobbyist with lines like that :lol:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives