Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Blu-ray Price Cuts On The Way

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Blu-ray Price Cuts On The Way

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:56 am

Sony apparently plans to cut the price of their low end Blu-ray player for the holiday season. Unfortunately, the new price is only $399. Given, the actual street price will be considerably less, but its still a far cry from Toshiba's HD DVD player.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6496408. ... c=topstory

That was some of the news to come out of a twice-a-year media roundtable hosted by Sony this morning with Stan Glasgow, president of Sony Electronics, and Jay Vandenbree, president of the Sony Electronics Consumer Sales Company, held at the Sony building, here.

When asked about Blu-ray player pricing from Sony for the holiday season, Glasgow said it should be “in the $399 range ... I don’t expect it to go much lower than that.”

When asked where the industry is in the format battle between Blu-ray and HD DVD, he noted, “It continues. I still find it curious that there are 170 companies backing [Blu-ray] and two companies behind [HD DVD]. I find some abnormality in that. Hopefully when all the [movie] titles reach the market this season and the beginning of 2008, [consumers] will see the [difference] in performance.”
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am

uh, the PS3 is already $400...virtually not news and certainly won't capture the crowd that Toshiba is pulling in this month.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am

vinnie97 wrote:uh, the PS3 is already $400...virtually not news and certainly won't capture the crowd that Toshiba is pulling in this month.

Yeah, I think the PS3 is what is holding them back. They seem to think that the PS3 needs to be the low cost Blu-ray player. Uh no.. its a game machine too. A standalone Blu-ray player should be considerably less.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:41 pm

which would then anger the Panasonics and Samsungs of this world. Oh, what a pickle the BDA is in.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:29 am

And now the Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player for $199 at Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6003898783

and Blu-ray is cutting too little and too late.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:28 am

I suspect Samsung, Sharp, and Panasonic will drop their prices accordingly. I'm not overly concerned.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives