Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Blu-Ray region coding

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Blu-Ray region coding

Postby Bhairav on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:25 am

So I finally got a PS3 (yay!) and a Philips full HD 42" LCD (yaaay!).. but the PS3 is a European model. I know that Blu-Ray discs are coded as A, B and C, with A for North America, and B for the EMEA region.

My question is, how many of the studios are actually enforcing region coding on Blu-Ray? Was planning on purchasing some movies this week.

Also, is the PS3 region-free for Blu-Ray?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 am

I don't own one but I'm fairly certain that the PS3 is region locked.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Fox is a big one for region coding... but really you need to check out every release and make sure just to be safe. A lot of Blu-Ray movies are NOT region coded, (I'd say the majority), but that won't make you feel any better if you mistakenly buy 1 that won't play in your player.

Most sites will list the region coding for the disc on the product info page now though :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:52 pm

I've got Resident Evil and Resident Evil Apocalypse coming on HD-DVD from Germany. Unfortunately after shipping Amazon changed the listing to show them as HD-DVD Bluray discs. So, I have no idea if they are HD or BD discs until they arrive. I contemplated keeping them even if they are BD (I have a couple already) for my as yet non-existant player, but I'm worried they'll be region coded and won't work. As any timeline for returns will pass before I get a player, I think they will go back if not HD-DVD's.

@ Bhairav, dvdcompare.net lists most BD dics from around the world, and also notes if they are region coded or not. They do say for some that they're listed as no-region but are, and vice versa (ie packaging misprints).
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:48 pm

Hrm... I don't know if Resident Evil is released on HD DVD internationally at all... at least I haven't heard of it. That doesn't neccissarily mean anythig though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:20 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Hrm... I don't know if Resident Evil is released on HD DVD internationally at all... at least I haven't heard of it. That doesn't neccissarily mean anythig though.

Exactly why I ordered them from Germany, there was no chance of them being released domestically on HD-DVD. If fact, RE hasn't been released on BD in NA yet either, not for a month or so (RE Ap has been out for a while). When I ordered them from Amazon.de, they were pre-orders, but the pics were of HD-DVD's w/ correct covers. Now, who knows what the heck they'll be. Show's how little Europe knows about either HiDef format, or at least how little Amazon.de does.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Region coding sucks! 1 big plus for HD DVD.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:14 am

Wesociety wrote:Region coding sucks! 1 big plus for HD DVD.

Just keep telling yourself that when Newline releases their titles on Blu-Ray only for several months in order to protect their intellectual property on an international market. Because of cross boarder ordering cutting into theatre profits, they're holding back HD DVD releases of day-and-date titles until after all theatrical runs internationally. Not a problem for Blu-Ray though :wink:

And fortunately enough, studios that don't feel a need to use region coding *DON'T* use region coding :wink:

One big plus for Blu-Ray in my opinion :P

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:Just keep telling yourself that when Newline releases their titles on Blu-Ray only for several months in order to protect their intellectual property on an international market. Because of cross boarder ordering cutting into theatre profits, they're holding back HD DVD releases of day-and-date titles until after all theatrical runs internationally. Not a problem for Blu-Ray though :wink:

IMO if they'd just have one theatrical international release date, there would be a LOT less piracy problems.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:57 am

Grain wrote:IMO if they'd just have one theatrical international release date, there would be a LOT less piracy problems.

I'm not sure why they don't do that to be honest...

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:23 pm

Funny how we can solve their problems a lot easier and cheaper than they can! Justifying huge salaries with complicated solutions that create more problems perhaps :lol:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Grain wrote:Funny how we can solve their problems a lot easier and cheaper than they can! Justifying huge salaries with complicated solutions that create more problems perhaps :lol:

Well, we may not know all the issues involved. There could be problems with rating restrictions, or other such things that we are ignorant to. But yeah, it DOES seem like an easy solution based on what we know.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Got my Resident Evils from Amazon Germany today, bastards sent BluRays. I'm tempted to keep RE:A as it is the available only in Germany extended version (about 5 extra minutes). Both have DTS-HD English tracks instead of PCM, as that is not readily decoded yet, not really a plus. I've contacted them via email, I'd prefer them in HD-DVD, but if they offer a rebate to keep them I can live with that (can't tell if they're region coded [-o< ).
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Grain wrote:Got my Resident Evils from Amazon Germany today, bastards sent BluRays. I'm tempted to keep RE:A as it is the available only in Germany extended version (about 5 extra minutes). Both have DTS-HD English tracks instead of PCM, as that is not readily decoded yet, not really a plus. I've contacted them via email, I'd prefer them in HD-DVD, but if they offer a rebate to keep them I can live with that (can't tell if they're region coded [-o< ).

If it's region coded, then it should say on the back of the disc. Let us know what Amazon does for you... they're normally quite good!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 pm

After a LOT of haggling I got $20 back to keep them. Neither case says anything about region coding on the back, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Grain wrote:After a LOT of haggling I got $20 back to keep them. Neither case says anything about region coding on the back, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Wow.... that's not too shabby actually :o

Now just find some person (or store) with a PS3 you can test them in :)

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Unfortunately I don't know a single person with a BD player or PS3 :( As far as that goes, don't know anyone with a HD-DVD player either (offline for both that is :wink: ). I'll have to drag them into a retail shop sometime. Worst case scenario, does AnyHDDVD remove BD region coding?
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:00 am

Grain wrote:Unfortunately I don't know a single person with a BD player or PS3 :( As far as that goes, don't know anyone with a HD-DVD player either (offline for both that is :wink: ). I'll have to drag them into a retail shop sometime. Worst case scenario, does AnyHDDVD remove BD region coding?

Send them to me :lol:
Shipping to India might be a bit expensive though!
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:34 pm

There's an idea, but perhaps you could just send me your PS3 =P~
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Grain
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 am

Grain wrote:There's an idea, but perhaps you could just send me your PS3 =P~

Done! It's a grey-market Euro PS3 even,so you're good to go!
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives