Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem with CD-RW

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Problem with CD-RW

Postby skhyatt on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:36 am

I am having a problem with writing to CD-RW's. Just noticed this, not sure how long it may have been going on. If I format a CD, I write to it, then after ejecting it and putting it back in, it is closed and I can no longer write to it or erase files. I am using Nero 6 with InCD 4. Any ideas?
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 am

Just to be clear.. you're UDF formatting the disc with InCD and then writing to it by copying and pasting your files?

If that's the case, I'm not sure why it would be read-only after you eject it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby skhyatt on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 am

Yes, that is what's happening. Last night I was able to do a backup to DVD-R without any apparent problems. I also was able to do a backup with XP's built in software. One odd thing I noticed is that when I tried to access the XP burned backup with InCD, it stopped being a cd-rw also. I don't do alot of backups, only key critical files, so I don't use inCD alot, but I couldn't say for sure when it stopped working.
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby skhyatt on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:03 pm

This is what I did last night. I uninstalled InCD and reinstalled. I then took a unformatted CD-RW and formtted it using InCD. After that, I left it in the drive, copied some files to it, looked at the disc through explorer, etc. Everything appeared to be working fine.

I then ejected the disc and then put it back in. At that point, the computer/Nero now thinks it is a CD-Rom and it becomes read-only. This same thing has happened to about half a dozen discs. Some of those discs had worked fine in the past.

Another thing I noticed. Using the scan disc utility that comes with Nero, I did a surface scan before/after ejecting the disc. It read fine with all good spots before ejecting, but after ejecting, it was all bad/red spots.

Any ideas at all? My best guess is there is some conflict with some other software that I installed. It did used to work fine. Just can't say when.
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby jacktheripper on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 pm

what kind of burner/reader are you using.

I have similar read problems with discs and certain readers on my system too. I don't normally use CD-RW's but with some burned discs and even pressed discs windows will read improperly depending on my burner.

Such as, just as of late my Samsung SH-S203N stopped working as a LS read burner.

Other days, my Lite On (cant remeber the model) will read as a DVD-RAM drive which of course it doesn't seen DVD-RAM and windows will just have a duel with reading it.
jacktheripper
CD-RW Thug

Postby skhyatt on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 pm

My burner is a NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A.

At this point, I don't know if I should upgrade to Nero 8 and hope the InCD will work with that version or just forget about packet writing and just burn files to a CD-R or DVD-R.

Also, what's the deal with Nero's tech support. I sent them an email regarding this issue two days ago and no reply. Is that the norm for them?
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:09 pm

skhyatt wrote:Also, what's the deal with Nero's tech support. I sent them an email regarding this issue two days ago and no reply. Is that the norm for them?
No, that's not normal, they usually never respond.

Personally, I would suggest you dump the NEC drive and InCD and get a DVD-RAM capable drive (LG, Samsung, etc.), and write to DVD-RAM discs... You can format them as FAT32 and drag/drop to them more reliably than InCD will ever be.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby skhyatt on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Can you please explain to me what the difference is between a dvd-R, dvd-rw and dvd-ram drives? I am not up to speed on dvd-ram drives at all.

Also, would you still recommend that I upgrade to Nero 8 or stay with Nero 6 or something different? Since my cd-rw's stopped working, I did a backup to dvd-r using Nero's burning rom.

Another thing about the dvd-r. After I copied to it, today I put it in my DVD-ROM drive and it would not read it and also, the DVD-ROM drive disappeared from my computer. Device manager didn't even list it. I rebooted my computer and put in a music cd and it worked with that. Shouldn't my dvd-rom be able to read a dvd-r??

If you can write/erase/read to a dvd-ram like a hard drive, why would we even need InCD? I suppose they still make it for those who don't have dvd-ram drives? I am tempted to go out tonight and pick up a ram drive. Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks.
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby jacktheripper on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:23 pm

No question, jump to Nero 8. Why haven't you already?
jacktheripper
CD-RW Thug

Postby skhyatt on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 pm

If I jump to Nero 8 and get a dvd-ram drive, then I won't need to use InCD?
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:59 am

Just my opinion... You don't need Nero to write to DVD-RAM discs... And truth be told, Nero 8 (as did 7) does not impress me.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby skhyatt on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 pm

so I don't need any special software at all to use a dvd-ram? just windows XP, copy and paste, etc.?
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:21 pm

skhyatt wrote:so I don't need any special software at all to use a dvd-ram? just windows XP, copy and paste, etc.?
Nope, just drag and drop... piece of cake.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby skhyatt on Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:18 am

jacktheripper wrote:No question, jump to Nero 8. Why haven't you already?

Fooling around with Nero 8. Using Nero Smartstart, I was able to rip about three cd's to disc in the mp3 format. On the 4th try, it only ripped about 4 of the songs and when I tried to do another cd, the option to rip to mp3 format was gone and everytime I clicked on burn, I would get an error message. Don't know if it has anything to do with this being a trial version or not.
skhyatt
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)