Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Venturer SHD7001 HD DVD Player - £170 @ QVC UK

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

Venturer SHD7001 HD DVD Player - £170 @ QVC UK

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:37 am

As promised, QVC UK has the Venturer SHD7001 HD DVD player up as today's special value. It normally retails for £206.00 but you can get it today for £169.92. It also comes with Troy and Hulk in the box.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/ ... drill,html
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:55 pm

I wonder how long people will be waiting for firmware updates on that thing when the combo discs start having problems with it. Has anyone heard if the Bourne Ultimatim issues have extended to the Venturer as well as Toshiba hardware? (I'd find it REALLY funny if the Venturer DIDN'T have the same problems actually!)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:23 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I wonder how long people will be waiting for firmware updates on that thing when the combo discs start having problems with it. Has anyone heard if the Bourne Ultimatim issues have extended to the Venturer as well as Toshiba hardware? (I'd find it REALLY funny if the Venturer DIDN'T have the same problems actually!)

Yeah, I'd be surprised too as they're the same hardware.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Walmart now list this player online for $188, didn't see it mentioned but didn't search everywhere for it.
Lets hope the price drops a bunch more, seeing how they were blowing out A2 and A3's for under 100 recently :wink:
It does look to be laid out pretty close to a A3/A30 unit....HMMMMM...
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Dartman wrote:Walmart now list this player online for $188, didn't see it mentioned but didn't search everywhere for it.
Lets hope the price drops a bunch more, seeing how they were blowing out A2 and A3's for under 100 recently :wink:
It does look to be laid out pretty close to a A3/A30 unit....HMMMMM...

Yeah, but how many firmware fixes do you think they're willing to put out? And for how long?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:48 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Yeah, but how many firmware fixes do you think they're willing to put out? And for how long?

I don't see Venturer responding nearly as quickly as Toshiba with firmware updates. They have to cut costs somewhere and a good portion of this is most likely coming from their tech support.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Well it's quite possible the Toshiba firmware can be put on this thing if they truly use the same guts one way or the other. I really don't care at this point after getting my cheap A2 but I'm sure prices will drop and this one MIGHT drop faster and be a alternative for some budget minded folks that want some kind of HD player.
They also might use the same firmware anyways just renamed and changed enough to work with this unit.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Hot Deals