Home News Reviews Forums Shop

INCD 5 CDRW write error - Win XP Pro

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby spearthrower on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:01 pm

When I insert an INCD disc, the INCD icon in the sys tray changes correctly, and Windows Explorer opens to display the contents on the disc. It doesn’t matter if it’s an older INCD disc, or one NEWLY FORMATTED (successfully), with any of the 3 different drives mentioned here, we get this far without problems. I can copy FROM the INCD disc to my hard drive without problems; but INCD will NOT write TO any CDRW disc, whether I simply right click to perhaps add a new folder to the disc, or copy a file from my hard drive to the disc, I get the SAME ERROR every time. An information box opens over the INCD icon on the systray, saying the following: “ INCD error on drive (X)”
“INCD had to retry a write operation”. The computer is now essentially frozen; I cannot eject the CDRW from the drive, and IF I get to open Windows Task Manager, and end Explorer or INCD, I have to power down, and restart.

I have had another computer running XP Home with Nero 7 Ultra and INCD 5.5.0.5 for a few years now, without problems.

I am running XP Pro on a HP D530, Nero 7 Ultra with INCD 5.5.0.5
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ 2 GB RAM
Motherboard HP 085CH
BIOS HP 786B2 V 2.43
HDD’s IDE 0 Master Maxtor 6Y120PO 120GB
Slave Seagate ST3320620A 320GB
I tried 3 different DVD drives (new) to try to isolate this problem.
Benq DVD DD DW1640 Firmware version BSHB
Benq DVD DD DW1640 Firmware version BSRB (different drive from above, latest version).
LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-H22N Firmware version 1.02 (latest version)

In BIOS, “ Max UDMA” is selected.
Tried Ultra DMA 2 also
Because at first I had 2 drives installed, I tried various combinations of Master, Slave, Cable Select etc. ( 80 conductor cable used, changed with new one, etc), and now am using just one drive to try to solve this thing.
Power to the drives was checked with a digital meter…all good.
Various discs tried…..TDK High Speed 8X to 12X CDRW, an older Memorex 4X CDRW that my Win XP HOME machine still happily uses; none can be written TO.

EDIT ADDED JAN 9
I have tried all the media I have.....and ALL work on the XP HOME computer. None work on the XP PRO SP2 machine.
TDK high speed CDRW
Memorex
Maxel
Sony

It doesn't vary as to how fast it fails; it is immediately...it doesn't seem to even start to write.
The above discs work very well when I make a data CD using Nero Burning Rom.

Please Note; DVD (for example, TDK DVD + RW 4X ) CAN BE WRITTEN TO.
It seems to be only CDRW that fail.

I have no system ASPI installed.
Nero Info tool says its ASPI is installed and working properly.
Windows IMAPI service is DISABLED.
I don’t have any other packet writing software installed.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, so I will be very grateful for any help to correct this problem. I have used INCD for several years now, and while earlier versions gave me a LOT of trouble, this one has been very good, and I still find packet writing to be very handy to use. I feel there must be some setting in Windows XP PRO that is causing this? Thanks to all who take the time to plow through all this!!
Last edited by spearthrower on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spearthrower - HP D530, Windows XP PRO, PENTIUM 4, 2.66 GHZ, 2GB RAM, Maxtor 6y120PO 120GB, Seagate ST3320620A, 320GB, Benq DVD DD DW1640 (BSRB), LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA H22N (1.02).
spearthrower
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:37 am

Have you tried other CD-RW media? It's possible that the issue may be between the media and the drive and the new computer.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby spearthrower on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:10 pm

I have tried all the media I have.....and ALL work on the XP HOME computer. None work on the XP PRO SP2 machine.
TDK high speed CDRW
Memorex
Maxel
Sony

It doesn't vary as to how fast it fails; it is immediately...it doesn't seem to even start to write.
The above discs work very well when I make a data CD using Nero Burning Rom.
spearthrower - HP D530, Windows XP PRO, PENTIUM 4, 2.66 GHZ, 2GB RAM, Maxtor 6y120PO 120GB, Seagate ST3320620A, 320GB, Benq DVD DD DW1640 (BSRB), LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA H22N (1.02).
spearthrower
Buffer Underrun

Postby MediumRare on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:58 pm

I don't use InCD, so I don't know if this is relevant. Do you have administrator rights on your XP Pro box?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby spearthrower on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Yes, I am the only user on the XP Pro computer, and am administrator. I also have thought of "permissions" etc, or even other programs that might affect packet writing (especially to ONLY CDRW's?) but have no idea where such a thing might exist to affect only INCD writing to CDRW's. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??
spearthrower
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:11 pm

Could it be an issue with the drive? what if you swapped the drive from the working computer?

You could also try uninstalling Nero, running the Cleantool (google for it) and reinstalling. That sometimes fixes problems people have with Nero and InCD.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby spearthrower on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi again...
I have tried 3 differet drives, all new. I can't swap drives with the old computer at the moment, as it's at my daughter's home. I did uninstall Nero 7 Ultra, and ran the Cleantool from Nero. I also ran the driver clean tool and Registry checker from Nero, then re-installed Nero 7 Ultra. NO CHANGE, the error is exactly the same. "INCD error on drive D"
"INCD had to retry a write operation". I was wondering if anyone knew how to interpret INCD error logs? Would it tell us anything?
spearthrower
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am

Personally, I'd give up on InCD... it's rubbish... You've got an LG GSA-H22N which is a great drive, pick-up some DVD-RAM media and call it a day.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)