Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Ritek Developing Hybrid BD-R/HD DVD-R Media?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Ritek Developing Hybrid BD-R/HD DVD-R Media?

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:39 pm

According to the Inquirer, Ritek had some hybrid BD-R/HD DVD-R media on display at CES. One one side of the disc, you could record HD DVD-R and on the other, BD-R.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... -dvd-disks

RITEK HAD one of the coolest things on show at CES, a hybrid BD-R and HD-DVD-R. That was the best, but by no means the only innovative thing it was showing off.

The disc is a burnable Blu-Ray on one side and a burnable HD-DVD on the other. If you are making high def content and want to avoid the format wars, this is a good way to distribute media. They are not out yet, but will be in the not so distant future.

I find it odd that Ritek has said nothing about this. Has anyone else heard of these? Wes, did you see them when you were at CES?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 pm

They also had hybrid HD DVD-R/DVD-R DL media.

Another cool one they had was a HD-DVD-R and DVD-R-DL combo disc. This one is immensely useful for distribution of video content, you don't have to worry which format the user has, just give them high- and low-def on the same little slice of Lexan.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RJW on Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 am

Who is going to be interested in buying such discs in real volumes ??
Because expect these to be more expensive as there seperate disc's sisters.

Making a Hybrid DVD-R/DVD-R DL or a blu ray-R/hybride DVD-R - These will be more problematic to produce as the 2 single disc's, it has a smaller market from the start and it requires additional R&D costs which you do want to earn back. So by saving a small bit of money on production costs (which are a few cents), other stuff will raise there prices which make this uniterresting except for the gimmick folks.

In other words just use a 2 disc package if you want to add both and use single layer disc's. This way you also have the option of choosing the better stuff (DVD+R-DL (verbatim) combining with your favourite next gen format from your favourite manufacturer and this won't be more expensive.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:17 am

I asked the woman that handle's Ritek USA's marketing and she said that they also had a disc that was HD DVD-R on one side and HD DVD-RW on the other.

For the reasons that RJW points out, I doubt these will ever make it to mass production. I think that Ritek was just showing that they are capable of producing them.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Unfortunately, I did not stop by the Ritek CES booth. I did stop by Ritek at the 'Digital Experience' event, but they were not displaying any optical media there.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 pm

I don't know why, but they waited until Wednesday to put them out.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:14 am

Probably they weren't going to display them, but Toshiba asked them very nicely to :P

Seriously though, what a joke.... there's zero demand for any of that media.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 am

There's more of a demand for their 50GB BD-R media, which should be officially announced soon.

The hybrid media just shows their capabilities and is there to build confidence with their customers.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:44 pm

I got a few pictures of Ritek's hybrid media. Both formats appear to be single layer only and the writing speed is rated at 2x.
Attachments
Ritek Hybrid BDR Side.jpg
Ritek Hybrid BDR Side.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Ritek Hybrid HD Side.jpg
Ritek Hybrid HD Side.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:47 am

I want a sample of that media just to say I have it :D

Besides, as a media collector I should probably get some HD DVD-R media before it's not available anymore anyways.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Good luck getting some. Unless someone places an order, Ritek doesn't plan to produce this media.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives