Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HMM Tells Toshiba To Knock It Off

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HMM Tells Toshiba To Knock It Off

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Great article. It's not a huge "I love Blu-ray" piece either. The author simply wants all of the studios to work together to promote high-def.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/h ... e_id=11875

It’s time to knock it off. Ever since the two rival next-generation formats launched in 2006, I have been calling for an end to the format war, but without specifically telling one side or the other to get out.

I’m doing so now. With Warner Home Video dumping HD DVD, the format has the support of just two of the six major studios. It cannot win. At best, it can be a spoiler, but I’m hoping Toshiba, Universal and Paramount will take the high road and, for the good of the entire industry, bow out. Universal and Paramount, in particular, need to jump on the Blu-ray Disc bandwagon so we can go into the new year with a unified front and a unified mission: To educate consumers about the advantages of high-definition media and convince them the time to transition from standard DVD to Blu-ray is the day they bring that HDTV into their home.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:25 pm

It's really the time to do it. There never was a point to this format war, but it's even more pointless now then it ever was.

Time to call a spade a spade.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Yeah, it was a good article. HMM has called for an end to the format war before though, now they can just confidently state that HD DVD needs to die in light of the Warner move to Blu-ray exclusivity.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Re: HMM Tells Toshiba To Knock It Off

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:22 am

Ian wrote:Great article. It's not a huge "I love Blu-ray" piece either. The author simply wants all of the studios to work together to promote high-def.

You mean, the author wants the studios to screw over the million or thereabout HD DVD owners. Toshiba disagrees. :-$
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Re: HMM Tells Toshiba To Knock It Off

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:40 pm

vinnie97 wrote:
Ian wrote:Great article. It's not a huge "I love Blu-ray" piece either. The author simply wants all of the studios to work together to promote high-def.

You mean, the author wants the studios to screw over the million or thereabout HD DVD owners. Toshiba disagrees. :-$

They knew what they were getting into when they became early adopters. They put their faith behind the belief that selling a product below cost would make up for a lack in studio support. Ultimately, this turned out to not be the case, and now they're paying the price for it.

Besides, I seem to recall that when confronted about their choice in the format war, many HD DVD buyers simply stated "well, if HD DVD loses, at least I'll have only spent $X amount of dollars", making the comparison against Blu-Ray pricing.

So chin up Vinnie97, it could have been worse :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives