Home News Reviews Forums Shop

It's snowing like a mofo!

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

It's snowing like a mofo!

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 pm

It started snowing last night and it hasn't stopped. According to the weathermen, Madison has gotten about a foot of snow. Thanks to the 25mph winds, I didn't even get to go snowboarding. All I've done today is play with the kids and repeatedly blow out the driveway. I'll probably have to do it again tomorrow. #-o

Sith, how much snow did you guys get? I think you got even more than us.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ruderacer on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Man. I feel for you. I grew up in Jersey and when it snowed it was fun, but that was when I was a kid. I don't think I could deal with all that snow now as an adult. Having to shovel your way out of the house doesn't sound like fun. On the other hand, I'm living near at or in hell. This place goes in the opposite direction. In the summer the heat boils the life out of you. Now we are at about 60 and tomorrow at around 74. Sometimes it could be 95 and then goes down to the 40s. Crazy weather. Stay warm!
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby SithTracy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:26 pm

More than enough... roughly 14+ inches or so... I just came in from my fourth time snow-blowing the drive since 5 AM... It's still snowing, but I think it has slowed so the accumulation is minimal... It's the drifting that will probably put me back outside before bed... though I hope not... Makes me regret not taking that job in Phoenix, AZ about 10 years ago...
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:36 pm

I still need to clear off the back porch. There's a 3' drift right in front of the door.

I'm waiting for the idiot plow drivers to knock our mailbox off. They've only done it once this year and they're long overdue.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 pm

started here last night and again hasn't stopped, over a foot and that was this afternoon
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Damn, we've got another 7-11" coming on Sunday.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:13 am

Ian wrote:Damn, we've got another 7-11" coming on Sunday.

I heard... I am making sure I get gas for the snow blower today!
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:06 am

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get some too.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm

All we got was rain today... No snow, some freezing rain, stayed in today... guess we lucked out, but it sounds like Ian got some nasty stuff up his way.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:55 pm

We have a huge drift on our back deck but that's about it. Everything else blew away. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning though. The plows will probably leave a pile at the end of our driveway. As wet as the snow is, its going to take forever to clear it out.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:13 pm

Well it got to 60 here today, sorry guys. We do this here towards the river in Portland here. It gets COLD then springlike, then wet/cold again. Sounds like we get one more nice day then it's cool and wet again :( At the end of last month it was just at freezing and blowing 20 to 30 MPH during the day, wearing 2 pairs of thermals, double socks, 4 shirts with a hoody and still freezing our tails off up on the roofs.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Wesociety on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Ian wrote:Video by a guy I know..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U58U1DXE68

That video was pretty funny! Quite a blizzard you all had there.

My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Flagstaff this past weekend and we went snowboarding at the Snowbowl resort. It snowed on Friday and we hit the slopes on Saturday and Sunday. It was awesome! I taught the girlfriend how to carve. She can finally make her way back and forth down the mountain, carving on both edges.

This coming weekend, we're headed over to California to hit up the Snow Summit resort with some friends of ours. It should be a great time!

Ian, you doing any snowboarding yet this year?
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Wesociety wrote:Ian, you doing any snowboarding yet this year?

I live close to a ski hill so I go 2-3 times a week. I went this morning and the tards groomed nearly all of the runs. I could understand if it was the beginning of the season, but they have a pretty good base. The boardercross run wasn't groomed so I had some fun anyway.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Awesome! The closest resort to me is Flagstaff's Snowbowl, which is about a 2 hour drive from Phoenix. There are some years when they don't even open for one day. This year has been good though.

The resort is trying to get approval to make their own snow, which would mean longer seasons for us Arizonians. Right now, they are being blocked by the Native Americans as they claim that the use of treated waste-water for snow-making is sacrilegious and an infraction against the mountain. Hopefully they'll get it through the courts and start making snow soon.

We also have Sunrise Ski resort, but it takes about 4 hours to drive there from Phoenix, so I prefer to take the shorter drive to Snowbowl.
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05 am

I'm getting really sick of the ice. The roads around here are worse now than they were on Sunday. It's too cold to salt and in the city they're really hesitant to sand. Out in the country, they finally put the blades down on the plows and scraped the ice off the larger roads. It still took me 45 minutes to get home due to the slow asses. :evil:
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to The Beer Garden