Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Best Buy Gives $50 Gift Cards To HD DVD Player Owners

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Best Buy Gives $50 Gift Cards To HD DVD Player Owners

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:42 am

Best Buy announced today that they are giving $50 gift cards to anyone that bought a Toshiba HD DVD player or Microsoft HD DVD Addon from their stores.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20080319005218/en

With Blu-ray declaring victory over HD-DVD in the high definition movie format war, Best Buy, the nation’s largest consumer electronics retailer, is giving $50 gift cards to customers who purchased an HD-DVD player or HD-DVD attachment from its U.S. stores before February 23, 2008. Customers will get a gift card for each player or HD-DVD attachment that they purchased. Through this program, Best Buy will distribute more than $10 million in gift cards to customers across the country.

“The DVD format war has divided our customers in a way we haven’t seen since Betamax took on VHS more than 20 years ago,” said Brian J. Dunn, president and chief operating officer for Best Buy. “At Best Buy, we understood and shared our customers’ frustrations as they were being asked to choose one format or the other. Now that the format war is over, we hope these gift cards will reassure our customers that we will help them make a smooth transition into the right technology for their needs.”

Most Best Buy customers won’t have to do anything to receive their gift card. As a demonstration of its commitment to its customers, Best Buy will proactively mail cards to all customers that the company can identify as having purchased an HD-DVD player. Members of the Best Buy Reward Zone program, customers who purchased Performance Service Plans (PSPs) or who made their purchase on BestBuy.com should look for their gift cards in the mail by May 1. Other customers who may not be easily identified can call (888) BEST BUY to receive their gift cards with proof of purchase through a credit card or their Best Buy receipt.

Personally, I think this is a better deal than what Circuit City is offering. There is no time limit and you get to keep your player.

If you want to get rid of your player, there is also Best Buy's new trade in program: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:34 am

Too bad I ordered my A2 online from CC or I'd be all over this. I am keeping it, great up converter and I have a bunch of HD movies now.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Re: Best Buy Gives $50 Gift Cards To HD DVD Player Owners

Postby Grain on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 am

Ian wrote:If you want to get rid of your player, there is also Best Buy's new trade in program: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/

Interesting what they will give you for HD DVD players. From $35 - $170, depending on the model. They will probably will end up on ebay from some reseller in a few months :lol:
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives