Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Samsung SH-S203N: purchase OEM or retail (newbie question)

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Samsung SH-S203N: purchase OEM or retail (newbie question)

Postby ladybard on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:08 am

Hi:

I've been reading through your very helpful reviews and polls since I've been trying to determine which DVD writer to buy. I'd originally though about a Pioneer and then an older version Samsung but think I'll look for the SH-S203N based on what I've been reading.

My question is this: I've seen several OEM versions for sale at good prices. I've gone to the Samsung site and downloaded the users guide, which is really just instructions on how to put it in. There is firmware there, but I think they are just updates.

Will I have a problem with the OEM version in terms of loading drivers onto a Windows XP platform or will XP already have the drivers?

Any other things I'll be missing out on in terms of the OEM versus retail version?

I can usually figure things out on my PC if I spend enough time on them, but right now I don't have a lot of time to "play around" with installing this and if buying the OEM version will create more of a headache, I'll look for the retail version.

Thanks for your input. I did try doing a search using keywords I thought would work, but didn't find anything (I was trying not to bug you with this as I know it's a newbie kind of question) :-?

Annie
ladybard
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am

Here's the break down..

Retail - Comes in a retail box with the drive, software CD, manual, etc. Warranty is set amount of time and is handled by the manufacturer.

OEM - Usually just the bare drive. May or may not come with the software CD. Warranty is usually shorter and is typically handled by the retailer.

If you're running XP, you won't need to install any drivers for it to be recognized by the OS. You will need some sort of software to burn discs though. An OEM copy of Nero can usually be purchased for cheap. Otherwise there are a number of good, free programs out there.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ladybard on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks, Ian.

I've got Nero but I'll have to see whether the version I've got will let me use all the features of the DVD writer (i.e. Lightscribe). Either way, it sounds like I'll be ok with an OEM.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I appreciate it.

Annie
ladybard
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:05 am

ive got 2 of these dvd burners, i love em, i loaded up the unlocked firmware also:

file download link: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers/Patch ... -2.3.1.rar

what it does and how to use it:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/patch-uti ... erid=65105

it lets you unlock the full burning speed of the drive along with full read speed too

for lightscribing, as long as you have nero cover designer installed your good, after you install that just download and install the latest lightscribe enabling drivers: http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSect ... spx?id=810
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby ladybard on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:45 am

Wow hoxlund! Thanks so much. You've saved me some work O:)

I ordered it from Newegg yesterday, so hopefully it will be here in a few days.

Thanks again everyone!

Annie
ladybard
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers