Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Windows XP SP3 Is Out

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Windows XP SP3 Is Out

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:51 pm

While it won't be available to the general public until April 29th, Major Geeks has it available for download right now.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4323.html

Has anyone installed it yet?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 pm

After Vista SP1, I think I'll wait to see how much MS has screwed up SP3 for WinXP :o
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:56 pm

If you're already running SP2 and are up to date on patches, you're pretty much at SP3 already.

I don't think MS screwed up Vista SP1 either. Works great for everyone that I know. Then again, we're all computer folks.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Links seem broken on both MG mirrors --I'm guessing takedown notices were issued?

As for Vista SP1, I don't find it broken (install went fine and all); it was just a bunch of fixes, without much of a performance overhaul (except for some file copy operations that were greatly improved).

SP3 on the other hand, can be slipstreamed into WinXP, making my life easier, is supposed to have some real performance tweaks, and does add a few features here and there. Can't wait to get a copy and test it; I wonder how soon it will be available from Microsoft Connect.

EDIT: Softpedia has it as well. The US mirror seems to be down, but the Romanian one is up.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Vista SP1 messed up a couple machines that I'm aware of. It required completely re-installs both times. With the exception of people here, and the crazy IT guy at my workplace, I don't know anyone using Vista who likes it.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby ClayBuster on Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:56 pm

So you don't use Vista but feel compelled to spread hearsay about how bad it is.

Makes sense to me. :^o

Seriously dude if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about you should probably just SHUT THE FUCK UP about it.

dolphinius_rex wrote:Vista SP1 messed up a couple machines that I'm aware of. It required completely re-installs both times. With the exception of people here, and the crazy IT guy at my workplace, I don't know anyone using Vista who likes it.
Rick
ClayBuster
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:31 pm

ClayBuster wrote:So you don't use Vista but feel compelled to spread hearsay about how bad it is.

Seriously dude if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about you should probably just SHUT THE FUCK UP about it.

Okay guys, be nice. I do agree that is a bit irritating how people say it sucks when they they've used it only a few times or not at all. This includes all the tech writers out there. Like Sony and Blu-ray, Microsoft and Vista seem to be a popular and easy target.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:27 pm

going to try it here in just a second, dling now
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I've put the Softpedia copy on my VirtualPC image at work.

Version number matches that of the RTM screenshots I've seen on official blogs. I haven't gotten to test it much yet, though.

I'll wait until I've tested it a bit to do anything else. My laptop and my work and home desktops are running fine; no sense mucking things up until I'm sure that a) the release is legit and not an RC2-rebadge, and b) that Microsoft hasn't mucked something up (unlikely, but better safe than sorry).

It's supposed to be out officially in three days anyway direct from MS.
Last edited by LoneWolf on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby stix on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:17 am

stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 pm

ClayBuster wrote:So you don't use Vista but feel compelled to spread hearsay about how bad it is.

Just because I refuse to load it on my own machines doesn't mean I've never worked with it. In all fairness though, I've never had the pleasure of working with a copy that was actually functioning properly. I've never SEEN a copy that was functioning satisfactorily for the user either...

Although just earlier today one of my co-workers told me that his new Vista machine I helped him get finally started working properly. He forced some updates (not SP1, which came pre loaded I believe), and it finally resolved his audio problems. We were starting to question the hardware on that one too... but apparently it was just a Vista error. So as far as I am aware, he is now the first person I know in real life with a copy of Vista functioning to his satisfaction, (I'm not counting the crazy IT guy who just doesn't care if it doesn't work properly). Unfortunately, I've never actually SEEN this system, I only helped broker it's purchase (helped with specs and some componants, played middle man between vendor and customers, etc...). This is also the only person I know running the 64bit version of the OS, maybe that has something to do with his success? I gather most of the people here seem to be running that version also.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby carl on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm running 32 bit Ultimate. I have no problems with it at this point. I did have a few when I installed it but they were driver related. My Video card sucked with it so I bought a new one and it's much better. I don't like it any more or less than XP. It works for me without problems so I'm satisfied. I probably won't install Vista on any of my other XP boxes but if I get a new laptop then I'll be fine with Vista.
carl
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm

The only problem I've had is with my hybrid hard drive. When running on battery, the performance would suffer a lot and cause the computer to blue screen. I haven't checked to see if it works better with SP1 yet.

I think the problems that most people have are due more to shoddy drivers than the OS itself. There's not much Microsoft can do about this, especially when they gave hardware manufactuers plenty of time to get their act together.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ruderacer on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 pm

My two cents: I have XP on my desktop and had some few issues and I've worked around them. I also have a laptop that runs on Vista Premium and I've had no problems. I actually did not like Vista at first, but I'm liking it more and more. So, for now, I'm good with XP on the desktop and good with Vista on the laptop. Cheers
"It's the voyage that counts, not the totality of life".

Every Saint has a Past! Every Sinner has a Future!
ruderacer
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:31 am

Update: Bink.nu has posted a MS direct-download link this morning.

It appears to be the same as the mirrors from MajorGeeks and Softpedia (same filesize, same KB#). I've slipstreamed it already, and am installing it on an ancient laptop that needed reloading here at work for test.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:23 am

Just as a heads up. I have been running Vista x64 Ultimate for over a year now. installed SP1. No problems at all. I have never had an issue with my Vista machine. And I repair a number of computers. So far the only time i have seen Vista has been when setting peoples new computer.

Being that I work with Vista every day in and out for my own, I can say by far I like Vista. XP is a really good OS, but I prefer to be ahead of the game.

The biggest problem I have seen with a PC that has Vista, ended up being a bad motherboard.
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 pm

From MS (look under non-subscribers):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 3a761.aspx
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby stix on Sat May 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Anybody tried the official MS Windows XP SP3 yet? There are reports of problems with AMD based machines, especially ones from HP.
stix
stix
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden