Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dye defect or grease spot?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Dye defect or grease spot?

Postby MediumRare on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:24 pm

I picked up a spindle of Plextor (TY) silver inkjet printable CDs a while ago. These look really cool after printing and have been good quality.

However, one of them scanned with 3x as many C2s as C1s in KProbe. :o I had a closer look and saw what looks like an "unburned" patch on the dye side. I'm attaching part of a scan (with my flatbed scanner) to indicate the problem.

I don't think it's from my fatty fingers (although I did eat some pop corn that evening- but I won't bother trying to reproduce this), so I'm assuming a dye defect ...

The interesting thing is that most of the defect doesn't seem to affect the readabilty of the disc- just the wider part trailing to the left near the center seems to be the source of the C2s. The interleaving apparently allows the error correction to cope with the radial part of the mark!

G
Attachments
844_PxPrint@24.PNG
Kprobe scan
844_PxPrint@24.PNG (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
844_CD-dye_defect.jpg
flatbed scan
844_CD-dye_defect.jpg (12.45 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm seeing more and more defects in TY CD-Rs, so this wouldn't surprise me at all.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Dye defect or grease spot?

Postby MMMark on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Thurs. 08/08/14 20:59 EDT
.post #2

What are your current favorite CD-Rs?
MMMark
Buffer Underrun

Return to Recordable Media Discussion