Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Q:Best internal IDE DVD-writer today?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Q:Best internal IDE DVD-writer today?

Postby LJN on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:28 am

Q: I am seeking after the best IDE DVD-writer with low/lowest grade off writing error on Verbatim +R DL . Speed are not so important. And also support book type setting for both DVD +R and +R DL.

Thanks for your help and support
/Lennart
LJN
Buffer Underrun

Re: Q:Best internal IDE DVD-writer today?

Postby Dartman on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:16 am

Some of the LG series drives do great with DL disks, so do the newer Pioneer drives. I have a older LGh22n that makes great copies to any DL disk I feed it. My Pioneer 111is almost as good, and when I had a NEC 4500 it did pretty well too as they both use the same chipsets. I think the LG drives with the Panasonic chips do better with DL, the other chip they use is better for regular media.
I don't like my Samsung s203b for DL, although others may claim it's great, probably depends on the individual drives as some may get better factory calibrations just by luck.
I'm sure others with newer drives will pop in with other good suggestions.
OOPS, the Samsung is a SATA drive, the others I mentioned are IDE still so that might narrow it down a bit though if you really want these older units you might have to hunt Ebay or find inventory closeouts on older left over gear.
Last edited by Dartman on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Optiarc's 20x DVD writers do pretty well with Verbatim DL media as well.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby LJN on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks Ian for input!

I read your exellent "In-house-review" :)

"The writing quality was pretty good with Verbatim's 2.4x and 8x DVD+R DL media. Aside from a few isolated spikes, the PI/PIF rates stayed within acceptable limits. Unfortunately, the results weren't as good with the 8x DVD+R DL media from Philips and Memorex. When scanned with the BenQ DW1640, the error and jitter rates were very high at the layer change"

Today I have sometimes playbackproblem with the layer change. I use ImgBurn as burner software and NEC 3530 dvd-writer from 2005, and always use Verbatim +R DL 2,4x. There for I looking after the "best" dvd-burner for my media.

/Lennart
LJN
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers