Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Advice on DiscSpeed

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Advice on DiscSpeed

Postby xlr8 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 am

Hi I have a LG GGW H20L

I have burnt a few blu ray discs, all Verbatim 25 and 50 gb.

I have tested them with Nero DiscSpeed and many of them have some yellow box around the end (25gb) or the middle (50gb).
(I wanted try the Quality Disc tab but it says for my drive it is not possible...)

The curious fact is if I repeat the test, these yellow sectors are not anymore in same position, or they go away, or some new appear.

The files are readable, but I am not so sure my data are safe.

If there is some expert of blu ray discs in this forum, I would ask how to evaluate these results: should I stop using Verbatim discs (I always used their DVDs, so it is time to move on, but maybe it is time to change brand)? Or the drive can be damaged? I flashed latest (latest I think afaik...) firmware Y05, over XP sp3

I burnt them with Imgburn, could this also be the problem?

Or maybe Nero DiscSpeed is not reliable?

Ot it is the constructive standard of every blu ray disks? (ie they create a crappy layer and adjust this with a space for "defect management" duplicating there bad sectors)

I hope they are not too much questions in a single post.
Thanks in advance for support.
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Re: Advice on DiscSpeed

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 am

I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to the yellow box. Can you post a screenshot?

btw... Verbatim BD media is very good.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby xlr8 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi thx for your reply.

Here it is (red arrow is mine). You can see 2 yellow boxes, I think they are sectors at risk, I do not know if the layer there is lower quality than rest of disk, but if I repeat the scan they disappear and they return somewhere else... so I think the whole disk is bad quality and it is just random effect.

But I am not sure so I ask advice from experts.

The file is fully readable - for now, but in the future?

A lot of discs have such behavior, so I doubted about Verbatim quality (or DiscSpeed quality? I do not understand why the whole file is classified 47 - almost half? - seeing only these 2 little boxes).
Attachments
discspeed.png
discspeed.png (18.57 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am

What happens if you use the latest version of CD Speed? I believe the latest version of CD Speed is newer than Disc Speed.

I'm not really sure if the ScanDisc test is a good indicator of BD writing quality. As you're seeing here, the results change from test to test. For me, if the disc reads fine at the maximum speed, I'm happy with the quality.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby xlr8 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:02 am

Hi,

from the web site:
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html
I read:
"Note 1: Nero CD-DVD Speed has been renamed to Nero DiscSpeed"
It is latest version of this software - if there is somewhere else another program more recent, I do not know.

Because I would keep data for a big period of time, I would be also sure they remain readable as time passes, so I was searching something more sure than simple reading...

So, if DiscSpeed is not reliable, could you or someone else suggest another program for quality test?

And, because burning takes long time, it is possible test discs layer before burning?

Thanks.
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:42 pm

I believe those are the newest versions available outside of the Nero suite. I'd have to check, but you might find newer versions available for download elsewhere.

I'm not sure why the last few lines are a lighter green. Was the entire disc filled? Maybe there isn't any data there?

Lite-On's BD-ROM and BD Combo drives support write quality testing. At this point, I'm not sure if the results are accurate or even if they're useful.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby xlr8 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi,
for answering every your question...

Yes, please check if you find another more recent version, even if I doubt it exists.

The lines having brighter green color are the file marked in lower pane.
The lower pane indicates the files present on the disc: file name, size and so on, the last column is the "quality".
The upper pane is the disk surface divided in little rectangles, green is ok, and so on.
When you click over a file name, the corresponding boxes are highlighted - so I clicked on the red one and it is visible in lighter green with 2 yellow sectors.
It is funny to see this file is classified 47% quality having only 2 yellow marks, in front of the others all green.

Yes obviously the disk if almost full.

Yes the suspect space is obviously occupied.
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info. I use CD Speed quite a bit but I don't think I've never clicked on the files.

What happens if you slow the speed down and read at say 2x or 4x?

I wonder how accurate the error reporting is on the GGW-H20L. I might have to dig mine out and do some tests.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby xlr8 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi,
I can't.
Incredibly, I can not change speed other than "maximum", it is the only choice in this listbox and there is nothing in options about that read speed.

I have found this:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Ner ... _Speed.htm

It says Nero DiscSpeed 5.0.1.250.
But in the official site there is no info about it.
(maybe is this the "newer version found elsewhere" you mentioned earlier?)
It seems same program apart the About Window, so I am not using it (while it seems virus and rootkit free), I wrote DiscSpeed contact a mail and we shall see what happens.
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:37 pm

If you want the latest, you can download the Nero 9 demo and pull it out of there. Yeah, I know the demo is huge, but its the easiest way.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby xlr8 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi,

the file inside Nero 9 demo setup executable says DiscSpeed 5.1.0.300.

Differences from 5.1.0.250:

1 - File-Options: gives a dll error before opening (very common in latest installation, seeing from Google and forums)
2 - No more Disc Quality tab
3 - Help-About crashes program so it is impossible see references

(For me, latest useful Nero burner was v5. After trying v6, I stopped upgrading it.)

I think I will search another test program...
xlr8
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives