Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Looking for short Blu-Ray player for my HTPC.

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

Looking for short Blu-Ray player for my HTPC.

Postby HHawk on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:26 am

Okay here is the thing; I recently build a new HTPC (from my "old" main computer). Everything works out great, except I am having problems with getting a small Blu-Ray drive for my HTPC.

The HTPC I have is an Antec Fusion Remote Max.

I already bought a LG GGC-H20L, but this drive is to long especially in combination with my CPU cooler (Thermalright SI-128SE). The problem is I am unable to fit the SATA cables on the drive, cause it interferes with the heatpipes of the CPU cooler.

So I am really looking for a shorter Blu-Ray drive. Anyone can recommend one? I already tried searching myself, but I am having a hard time getting a drive which will fit without problems in my HTPC.

I am looking for a depth of 18 cm max.

Anyone here who can recommend one?

//edit
I have found this drive: Lite-On IHES206
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1624

Can anyone confirm it's 6.7 inch in depth?
HHawk
Buffer Underrun

Re: Looking for short Blu-Ray player for my HTPC.

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 am

I don't have one, but according to Lite-On, the iHES206 is only 170 mm long.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby HHawk on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:04 am

I also contacted TigerDirect and they responded with:

Upon reviewing the Lite On IHES206-08 Blu-ray Disc Reader with DVD Writer Combo the Dimensions are as follows

146 X 42 X 187 mm (W x L x D)

Thank you for visiting our website. We at Tiger Direct appreciate your business. If you have further inquiries and reply to this email, please make sure to include your entire message, so we can address it appropriately.

So who to trust...?
HHawk
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:53 pm

I can measure my iHES208 tonite if you want.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Dartman on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Can you just move your drives around in the case so the H20 then clears the heat sink and a shorter drive is down where it used to go?
Thats why I love full tower cases, lots of room for stuff and things can be moved around if needed to make everything work. Anyways, just a thought, you didn't say if you tried a different slot in the case or if you had the room to try.
Well NEVER MIND, I looked up the case you DID say you owned and you are kinda stuck :oops: Too bad as the LG is a very nice drive.
Last edited by Dartman on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby HHawk on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:02 pm

If it is not to much trouble, I would really appreciate you doing that.
And otherwise next week would be fine as well?

I hate to buy another Blu-Ray drive for nothing. Those things don't come cheap and my money tree is chopped. :S
HHawk
Buffer Underrun

Postby HHawk on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Dartman wrote:Can you just move your drives around in the case so the H20 then clears the heat sink and a shorter drive is down where it used to go?
Thats why I love full tower cases, lots of room for stuff and things can be moved around if needed to make everything work. Anyways, just a thought, you didn't say if you tried a different slot in the case or if you had the room to try.
Well NEVER MIND, I looked up the case you DID say you owned and you are kinda stuck :oops: Too bad as the LG is a very nice drive.

I wish I could, than it would already be solved. The problem is, this enclosure uses a IR + LCD screen, which are in a fixed position and I have only one bay free for the blu-ray drive. So... That's really not an option.

I already typed the above, before I read your post fully, so might as well post it. :P

This PC is only used for HTPC, my own gaming PC is also a full tower Lian Li V2000B. Which is also very big. :)
HHawk
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm

HEY, maybe you could get a USB/firewire enclosure and run that drive externally and not have to loose or redo everything. I would think that board and case should have support for them but who knows, but that's another option that may be cheaper then replacing one drive with another.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 pm

The iHES108 is 182mm from the front of the bezel to the back. If you can get away with a read only BD drive, the DH-4O1S may work. I remember it being pretty short.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby HHawk on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 am

Ian wrote:The iHES108 is 182mm from the front of the bezel to the back. If you can get away with a read only BD drive, the DH-4O1S may work. I remember it being pretty short.

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this topic and I didn't receive a notification of a reply.
Thank you very much for measuring.

Guess it's to long. Sucks.

Yeah it seems the DH-4O1S is short enough, however is it any good? Cause it has some pretty bad reviews on Newegg. :S
HHawk
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:39 am

I think most of the complaints on Newegg were due to the bundled software. In particular, people didn't realize you needed to update it to play the latest BD titles.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives