Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LITE-ON LTR-52327S

Burn baby burn!

LITE-ON LTR-52327S

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

This guy must be 6 years old by now? Anyway, I hadn't used the burning feature in a while and this week I discovered that it was burning blanks! The burning process completes fine but upon trying to read a Verbatim CD-RW disc created from an ISO in IMGBURN (in both the LTR-52327S and a NEC DVD-RW), it was still seen as blank (the verify feature also failed). I tested with another CD-RW with the same result. I then tried the burn with the NEC and the disc was readable.

To further diagnose, I burned a CD-RW data disc using CDBurnerXP. The 52327S read the contents of this one thereafter but the NEC still saw it as a blank.

I've never used a disc drive long enough to see it degrade (I love this LIte-On too much!). Is this typical of a weakening laser? The drive is quite old in silicon years but it's seen relatively little use over this time (a fair amount of audio ripping on some occasions).

If this one's on its way out, is there a BD burner on the market that is adept at CD-audio ripping and burning to CD-R/W as this model was? Between the latest LG, Pioneer and Plextor (which is apparently a branded BDR-205, not yet reviewed here) as reviewed on this site, which has the best writing quality? It looks like all 3 of them have a little trouble with DVD+R DL and this may say something as to the quality of the media more than anything.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Re: LITE-ON LTR-52327S

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:31 pm

That's weird. It's almost if its not writing the TOC correctly.

BD drives aren't great at ripping audio CD's and burning CD-R/RW. You'd almost be better off buying a Lite-On DVD writer or something.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Sat May 01, 2010 2:05 am

Thanks, I won't need much in the way of burning CD-R/W but ripping audio may be important. I guess those Lite-Ons are still the fastest accurate rippers in the east. :) Any particular model? I kind've wanted to use this as an excuse to upgrade to a BD drive even though it won't be 100% used for that. How's that new LG shaping up for audio ripping?
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat May 01, 2010 7:57 am

The LG isn't nearly as fast as one of Lite-On's DVD writers, but it at least rips at 40x.

LG WH10LS30 CD Speed Pressed DAE 1.png
LG WH10LS30 CD Speed Pressed DAE 1.png (16.32 KiB) Viewed 24729 times

LG WH10LS30 CD Speed CD-R DAE Adv.png
LG WH10LS30 CD Speed CD-R DAE Adv.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 24719 times
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Sat May 01, 2010 11:29 pm

That looks to be on par (average speed) with the Plextor, Pioneer, LG and Sony you've reviewed, with minute differences in speed at best. Correct?
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun May 02, 2010 11:16 am

vinnie97 wrote:That looks to be on par (average speed) with the Plextor, Pioneer, LG and Sony you've reviewed, with minute differences in speed at best. Correct?

Yep, pretty much the same.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Mon May 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for your report. Wow, tell me if you've heard of anything like this with your years of disc drive experience: I've been having unexplainable bluescreens (with various and sundry errors) for the past 1+ month. It's still early days but I just disconnected the offending drive (it still reads discs fine apparently and the HP drive on my laptop was able to read the contents burned to a CD-RW using the same drive) and so far, the PC is behaving (it was not due to failing memory, as I've already done several reading/writing tests using Win7's utility).
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Weird. If it was me, I'd have it dump the memory when it blue screens and open it up with debugger.

Other thoughts... could be a crappy cable. Maybe your power supply can't provide enough juice for your system?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Like lightning you are. Yea, that Windows debugger is a bit of a PITA to use, lol. I don't think that it's a power supply issue (unless it's failing also), as I've added no new components in some time (2 HDs, 2 disc drives, vid card, USB mouse and keyboard). Indeed, the cable could be the culprit...I will just monitor the situation with only the NEC drive connected (via the same cable). So far, so good...I'll give it about a week of problem-free operation before declaring victory. I did a cursory Google search and saw a similar report of someone clearing up their bluescreen anomalies with a disc drive replacement.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:45 am

To follow up, so long as I leave the Lite-On disconnected AND refrain from using the Hibernate feature, my PC doesn't bluescreen. I suppose I should next just try with the Lite-On connected where the NEC is to fully rule it out.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Meh, maybe it is the IDE cable (or the IDE channel)...still having random program crashes and bluescreens with the NEC connected. It go so bad tonight, I just disconnected the drive's power. It seems the problem is resolved but that will definitely take more time to definitively determine. I'll give it a week to see if sailing remains smooth and then find a new cable if so.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby SkaarjMaster on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I finally now have an LTR-52327S and will have to paint the bezel before installing in my Dragonslayer system. Now where is that paint I used a while back on the Kenwood 72X CD-ROM?:)

EDIT: bezel painted, now I just need to install.....although, I may try painting the volume dial a little better......never had to on the Kenwood as it was already black.

EDIT AGAIN: all that work to get it and now my Mom has the computer.:(;)
MSI (unnamed laptop): GS75 Stealth 95F, Pioneer BDR-XD07B
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 pm

I thought this player had met its demise (it was no longer making burns readable by other devices in my PC setup nor did it seem to be "erasing" properly, or so I thought; the NEC that was connected to the same IDE channel had no qualms with burning). I recently upgraded to an LG BD burner and decided to retire this one. I went ahead and performed one last test with it connected to my laptop (by way of USB adapter), and it made 3 good CD-RW burns. What a workhorse after almost 10 years (though not used all that frequently). I don't think I can let it go as long as I'm using CD-RWs.

Whoa, I never followed up to explain the source of the blue screen problem. I'm pretty sure it was the memory in the end (finicky mobo apparently that required exact DIMM matching, down to the same manufacturer/model #)! ](*,) I still noticed behavior with this burner as described in the OP earlier this year (well after I had replaced the offending memory), but given my latest findings, this burner must possess 9 lives.
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives