Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DAE using a Plextor PX-B940SA

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

DAE using a Plextor PX-B940SA

Postby Goitre on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:05 am

Hello there. I am interested in purchasing a newer SATA drive to use primarily for DAE for my CD collection. I have a newer Computer so it probably needs to be a SATA interface drive, but since people aren't as interested in DAE quality of drives these days it is harder to find this info for newer drives I find.
I am interested in the Plextor PX-B940SA specifically... http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.ph ... /px-b940sa

I wonder, has anyone here used this drive and, if so, do they know if it can be trusted for accurate DAE? I use Exact Audio Copy software for my rips as well. I read one site where it said this drive Caches audio data (bad, but can be circumvented using EAC) has Accurate Stream technology (good) and can't make use of C2 Error pointers (I don't know if this is good or not, I have never used C2 error pointers before though).
Perhaps there is a hardware reviews site I could be pointed toward as well.

Thanks very much for your time!
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Re: DAE using a Plextor PX-B940SA

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:25 am

The PX-B940SA is based on the Pioneer BDR-205. I've never been real impressed by the DAE performance of Pioneer drives.

You could look at the PX-LB950SA (http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.ph ... px-lb950sa), which is based on a Lite-On design. Otherwise, you could just buy a DVD writer and use it for ripping audio CD's.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Goitre on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks for your reply Ian!
Just so you know I do have an older Plextor Premium CD drive from my last computer that I was using for DAE before my old computer died. It is touted as an excellent drive for DAE and I wish I could keep using it. It is an IDE interface though and my newer motherboard won't support it.
I've heard there are ways that I could hook my IDE Plextor premium up to my new computer via usb external break-out boxes , or use a SATA to IDE converter cable; but I'm not sure where to find things like that. I am also not sure if any of those options, if utilized, would still provide the uncompromising DAE results that I require.

Any help is totally appreciated!
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 am

SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Goitre on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for the link SithTracy. Judging by the spotty product reviews the ide to sata adapter doesn't look like the ideal way to go.

I am thinking that the PX-LB950SA (the one based on the Lite-On design) might be my best bet. I've heard that Lite-On make excellent drives that are great for DAE.

Just curious; how is it that these new SATA Plextor drives are 'based on' existing designs from other companies? Has Plextor stopped doing it's own r&d or something?

Has anyone here used Lite-On drives forDAE before?

Thanks for your help everyone. When it comes to ripping my CDs I just want to do it right and only once; I'm sure you understand ;)
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Postby SithTracy on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Plextor hung it up a long time ago... 5 yrs or so... Sound right, Ian? I still have a PX-716A and a PX-755SA... Boxed up not getting used. No idea why I hold on to them. Doubt optical drives will make a comeback. Heck, even have some old BenQ's too. No that I think about it, I have a couple of old SCSI Plextor CD readers. They were awesome DAE drives.

Yeah, LITE-ON's do decent DAE.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:52 am

Yeah, they stopped making their own drives about 4 years ago. It's only been the last couple of years though that they've become part of PLDS (Lite-On). It still surprises me that they use drive designs from Pioneer and LG though.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Goitre on Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks very much for your help so far!

So, going back to an earlier comment you made about using a Plextor DVD writer for DAE instead of a Blu-Ray drive; I am just wondering what the reason for that would be? Are the DVD writers that Plextor made still using a high quality Plextor design (rather than a rebranding of a different companies' design)?
I am looking at this one since it is a SATA interface http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.ph ... /px-l890sa
Would you say that drive would be my best bet for accurate DAE (I care way more about accuracy than speed)?

Cheers!
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am

Most of the Plextor DVD writers are now Lite-On, Pioneer or LG designs. They aren't making any of their own.

If you went with the PX-LB950SA, you wouldn't need an additional DVD writer. The only reason I said that is because the PX-B940SA isn't great at DAE. It is a very good Blu-ray drive though.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Goitre on Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Alright, so I will go with the PX-LB950SA.
Now, my last question is where to find the thing! Ebay and CDW.com have been the only places I've seen it thus far. If you know of any other places it would be great to be able to compare prices.

Thanks!
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 pm

What country are you in?
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Goitre on Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 am

Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Odd... I wonder why the PX-B950SA isn't easier to find in the US and Canada.

In any case, if you can live without the Plextor brand, you could save yourself about $100 and buy a Lite-On iHBS112 which is what the PX-B950SA is based on.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby SithTracy on Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 pm

The Plextor brand used to indicate quality... now it is nothing more than a label on someones elses product. Agree with Ian, get the Lite-On.
SithTracy
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

The Plexutilities software is one benefit you get, but its not really worth the extra $100... especially when there are free tools out there that do essentially the same thing.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Goitre on Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, I agree with you guys.
I purchased a Lite-On iHBS112 just a few minutes ago! Hopefully it will fulfill my DAE needs! I'll let you all know in a while once I get to try it out.
Goitre
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives