Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pentium 4 Or AMD Athlon Xp ?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Pentium 4 Or AMD Athlon Xp ?

Postby TidusTheCoolest on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:55 am

I'm getting a new PC .

I'm considering either P4 or AMD Athlon XP machine .
Which one should I get ?

Within my budget , I can get 1.7 GHz P4 machine or 2200+ AMD XP .

I'm going to use my new PC mostly for games , MP3 , internet & CD burning .

Any suggestion on which one I should get ?
TidusTheCoolest
CD-RW Thug

Go for the Athlon XP 2200 (1.8 GHz)!!!

Postby Morfeo on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:55 am

Tidus>>>It's my second post! :( the first one didn't appear.

Go for the AMD Athlon XP 2200, it's cheaper, faster than any P4 below (2.2 GHz) just see it by your self!

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/02 ... ed-16.html

you can check the benchmarks and decide by your self, it would be a good buy.

Man, i wrote a lote the past time, so I just tell you that the AMD it's a safe bet. you won't regret!

but... choose the right Mother board! see the reviews in Tom's compare the KT333 MB and the KT400 MB...

Good look! just read a little bit and you will find that the decision is very easy! :D
Morfeo
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:55 am

AMD Athlons are better for gaming, while Intel Pentiums are better for applications and software. The AMD Athlon XP 2200+ will beat out the Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz in terms of performance and pure speed. Make sure you get a good Via KT333 or KT400 based motherboard. I would recommend the Asus A7V333.

AMD Athlon is the way to go! :D
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby hjs on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:56 am

Yups, get the XP 2200+
A kt333 mobo (look for the extra's you want and don't want) I like the EPoX 8K5A2+

I you want to play games, what kind of vid-card you're thinking of?
Better a XP 1800+ with a R9700 then a Xp 2200+ with a ti-4200

And get a Good Case with a very good PSU !! (at least 350 Watt)
hjs
CD-RW Thug

AMD 2200 would kill a Pentium 1.7GHz

Postby nosro on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:56 am

An AMD 2200 against a Pentium 2.2 GHz would be a fair fight (although I would agree with the posts above that an AMD would be better for games). However, an AMD 2200 against a Pentium 1.7GHz isn't even close. I would not expect a Pentium 1.7 GHz to come anywhere close to an AMD 2200.

Search the web - everyone has a website comparing AMD to Intel.
nosro
Buffer Underrun

Video Cards

Postby TidusTheCoolest on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:56 am

Hei hjs , I'm going to get my Athlon XP 2200+ with G4Ti 4200 . Coz 4TI 4200 cost only about $ 170 . Radeon 9700 is $ 400 . It's way too expensive .

Anybody can get a better card than G4Ti 4200 at below $ 200 tell me .
TidusTheCoolest
CD-RW Thug

Postby greenbirdz on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:56 am

edited??
Last edited by greenbirdz on Tue May 13, 2003 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenbirdz
Buffer Underrun

Postby Johnny Casaba on Thu Jan 01, 1970 4:58 am

If those are your only 2 choices, the answer is obvious, get the XP. But I would argue it is not fair comparing a P4 Willy vs the XP. You should be comparing it to a Northwood P4, but even then unless you have the money to burn (on the higher clocked P4's) or you want to overclock your chip (1.6a or 1.8a), the XP is the better bang for the buck. I would also suggest saving the $50 or so more for the XP 2200 and looking at an XP 2000. Good luck.
Johnny Casaba
Buffer Underrun

Postby astro on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:56 am

Hell, an Athlon 1600+ will beat out a P4 1.7. I know because I've seen it!

actually a 1.2GHz T-bird will beat a P4 1.7GHz in 8/10 applications, and will own it by quite a bit in games and office apps. And that's a P4 1.7GHz with PC800 RDRAM. Hell even a 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird will beat a P4 1.7GHz in games and office apps..

Williamettes are utter shit...
Get P4 if you have over $150, or 1.6A(A means 400MHz FSB Northwood Revision)GHz if you plan to overclock. But obviously with your budget, P4 is not an option.

I'd personally get the Athlon 1600+, they cost around $55 now! Pair it up with an ABIT KX7-333 for $87, and OC that to 1.8GHz or 2200+(half of them do!), or at least 1.67GHz or 2000+.

I personally hate ASUS boards. They cost A LOT more than most boards, and they have NO features at all, they suck for overclocking.
astro
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:56 am

astro wrote:I personally hate ASUS boards. They cost A LOT more than most boards, and they have NO features at all, they suck for overclocking.

From what I've read, Asus boards are very good for overclocking. As for having no features what so ever. My Asus A7V333 has plenty of features that are useful, with the only thing lacking is a firewire port.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Hemispasm on Thu Jan 01, 1970 5:59 am

Just upgraded my rig to an Athlon XP 2200+ with the A7V333 board. It's been only 2 days i got it working and i have mixed feelings.

First mobo i got was defective - kept the vcore voltage to 2,11v nomatter what i did and what jumper/bios settings i used. Returned it for a new one which works fine up to now.
This particular Asus mobo has a lot of features on board, but i don't think overclocking will be one of its best assets. I havent tried to overclock it yet (i need it stable for reviews and staff) but will do in the imminent future. I expect to get nowhere as close to the perfomance of a 2600+ though, since the board doesn't support messing with the agp among others.
This is the way ... Step inside
Hemispasm
Buffer Underrun

Postby {JNT} Raptor on Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:07 pm

Can't go wrong with the XP chip whatever flavor.....I'm running an XP 1600 on an Abit KX7-333.....got it running at 1.7gigs right now(XP2000+)....180x9.5....running sweet as can be. :wink:
What We Do In Life..........Echoes In Eternity
{JNT} Raptor
Buffer Underrun

Re: Pentium 4 Or AMD Athlon Xp ?

Postby vxd*.* on Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:04 am

[quote="TidusTheCoolest"]I'm getting a new PC .

I'm considering either P4 or AMD Athlon XP machine .
Which one should I get ?

Within my budget , I can get 1.7 GHz P4 machine or 2200+ AMD XP .

I'm going to use my new PC mostly for games , MP3 , internet & CD burning .

Any suggestion on which one I should get ?[/quote]
U can never go wrong with AMD. I think they r the most stable boards out there. I've been running an AMD 400 Mhz since they hit the market, never a problem. Just be carefull with the intergration, or onboard video-sound etc.
vxd*.*
Buffer Underrun

Postby Nik the Greek on Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:07 pm

You get more speed for less money if you go with AMD, but you will also get less quality. Dont even think about using the boxed AMD fan if you plan to overclock.

If you think about a P4, dont take anything other than a northwood(those all have 512kb cache vs 256kb of normal P4s).
The 1.6ghz will overclock to 2ghz almost guaranteed. The 1.8ghz may overclock to 2.4ghz(mine did without problems @1.65v, 1.5v default) without having to buy any additional heatsink and or fans.

From my past experiences(three AMD and three Intel systems), anything with intel inside worked without headaches. The AMD, and the via chipset always gave me a hard time. Sound crackles, problems with my hauppauge video in, HDD controller problems, blue screens, just to name a few. Everything of which is solvable if you have lots of time, and no job.

To be fair, i hear of lots of people that via has improved, and AMD is running more stable now, but i wont even bother to try anymore.

I pay about 50$ more on a mainboard+cpu intel cpu+ intel chipset combo which has about the same perfomance as a mainboard+cpu amd cpu+ via chipset combo. I lose some money, but win lots of time in which i would be trying to figure out what caused the last blue screen.

If you want to have a deadly stable system, get an intel nortwood 1.6ghz or above with an intel 845 chipset. The 845 chipset is as stable as the legendary bx 440 chipset from intel.

For those who hate me now, because i prefer intel over AMD, please keep buying AMD. After all, this will keep prices for intel cpus lower because of the competition.

The last system i built , was an Intel P4 northwood 2.4ghz with a GA-8PE677 gigabyte board. I took the gigabyte board because of its dual bios , and found out that the realtek AL650 6 channel onboard sound was of much higher quality than the cmedia onboard sound on some older boards. The lan card and usb 2.0 on that board as well as the promise raid controller work flawlessly. The board has tons of overclocking options also.
Nik the Greek
Buffer Underrun

Postby eFrisky on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:19 pm

As the saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words..."

And during this period I've been using this system a lot! Playing games, ripping DVDs, programming, just about the range of stuff that your average little geek gets up to at home :)

Do you really want to compare uptimes and system stability? I rebooted once (intentionally, and not due to a system fault) since my last uptime post in the Dual Athlon thread below here.

OK then, how about raw procesing power?

And I'd bet that an equivelant system to mine costs about the same a single P4 system that you describe above...

IMHO, system stability is directly proportional to the time that a prospective PC buyer is willing to invest in researching a new system (this mainly applies to home-built, from components, systems).
eFrisky
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion