Postby Kennyshin on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:41 am

Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Re: Super-strong TDK DVD-R/DVD-RW Media Announced

Postby ewitte on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:41 am

Kennyshin wrote:http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20021031/tdk.htm

The old media and the new media:

Is it scratch resistant? I can't read those websites :)
ewitte
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Jan 01, 1970 6:41 am

put those addresses in http://babelfish.altavista.com
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Kennyshin on Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:52 am

Yeah, it says 100 times stronger to fingerprints,dust, scratch, etc. than the previous ones. Of course, 100 times must be a marketing hype and I won't believe anything until I myself have touched and tortured the disks.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Tolyngee on Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:44 am

Kennyshin wrote:until I myself have touched and tortured the disks.

Mmmm, a little DVD-R(W) S&M! WOOHOO! OH YEAH! :D

I hate to ask permission, but... Can I watch? :o

"My whole existence is flawed..." :wink:

(Sorry, can't help my imagination of tossin' NIN's Closer into the cd player and conducting some semi-scientific tests of this so-called marketing hype...)

(BTW: they're discs, not disks... We wouldn't want you touchin' and torturin' the wrong thing, now would we? :oops: )

Even assuming they can't take the advertised abuse, finding their limits of endurance and going just beyond is what it's all about! :wink:

I'm still praying that TDK stands for "They Don't Kneel!" :o
Tolyngee
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:04 am

Tolyngee wrote:(BTW: they're discs, not disks... We wouldn't want you touchin' and torturin' the wrong thing, now would we? :oops: )

Now-now, although "discs" is typical usage in the computer world, "disks" is acceptable also, and is the correct spelling of the word to the rest of the non-computer-geek world... :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Tolyngee on Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:36 pm

cfitz wrote:
Tolyngee wrote:(BTW: they're discs, not disks... We wouldn't want you touchin' and torturin' the wrong thing, now would we? :oops: )

Now-now, although "discs" is typical usage in the computer world, "disks" is acceptable also, and is the correct spelling of the word to the rest of the non-computer-geek world... :wink:

cfitz

No, disk is short for diskette...

a disc is not a diskette...

They are two different things, so it's not a [sic] issue...

We both know that though, which I guess is sometimes all that matters...

(FWIW, yes, I have been known to gripe about, and frankly put down altogether, books that I would have liked to have read but became unbearable due to spelling/grammar/punctuation errors... Psychology-type books are best known to me for this problem... I was quite shocked to see the problem be so bad in Clarke's 2061 book though... First edition, DAMN EDITOR!!! :evil: )

(A friend of mine's mother is an English professor out here, and it's interesting to listen to her talk about the students that she MUST pass in her class, that quite frankly, should have never been allowed to graduate from HS! :roll: )

Quite some truth to the saying of "The more you learn, the less you realize you know."

Sad to say this, but I've seen some resumes from some post-graduates with errors (doesn't Word at least have a spell check?) that made me want to suggest to them that they go back to their university and demand their money back... :(

True, a resume is just a piece of paper...

Then again, so is a degree... :o

I must admit though, a few years back I got into an argument with a friend who has multiple degrees on the spelling of "weird." Once I was able to truly convince him "weird" is indeed "wEIrd," he just responded "Hmmm, weird." :D

Yeah, I before E, except after C, or if sounding like A, as in neighbor or weigh... But, then, there's just plain ol' "weird!" :wink:

No wonder English is so hard for foreigners to learn. :cry: (Though, they tend to be better at it than some natives! :D )

Oh, well, enough of this...

Kennyshin is in Korea anyway (If I remember right), so his [sic] is completely forgivable either way...

Can you actually believe friends have suggested I go into teaching!? I'd drive the students bonkers!!!
Tolyngee
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:31 pm

Tolyngee wrote:No, disk is short for diskette...

Both "disk" and "disc" are acceptable variants for the word that describes a flat, circular object, and "disk" is the primary variant for general usage. If you don't believe me, then please believe Messrs. Merriam and Webster:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... ry&va=disk

Tolyngee wrote:(FWIW, yes, I have been known to gripe about, and frankly put down altogether, books that I would have liked to have read but became unbearable due to spelling/grammar/punctuation errors... Psychology-type books are best known to me for this problem... I was quite shocked to see the problem be so bad in Clarke's 2061 book though... First edition, DAMN EDITOR!!! :evil: )

You may not be able to tell from mangled posts on these forums, but I also am a stickler for grammar. Heck, in my studies of Japanese I actually enjoy learning the grammar. Sick, sick, sick... :(

Tolyngee wrote:(A friend of mine's mother is an English professor out here, and it's interesting to listen to her talk about the students that she MUST pass in her class, that quite frankly, should have never been allowed to graduate from HS! :roll: )

Don't get me started. Let me guess, star athletes? (Although certainly not all student-athletes are lacking in the "student" area.)

Tolyngee wrote:Sad to say this, but I've seen some resumes from some post-graduates with errors (doesn't Word at least have a spell check?) that made me want to suggest to them that they go back to their university and demand their money back... :(

It is distressing, isn't it? I will, however, claim immunity from spelling errors in these forums because I am operating without a net - it is too much bother to open up Word and run spell checks on my posts.

Tolyngee wrote:Can you actually believe friends have suggested I go into teaching!? I'd drive the students bonkers!!!

I can see it now: the kids are all huddled together checking their classroom assignments, a mournful groan is heard, and little Timmy exclaims, "Oh no! I've got Mr. Toly for English!" :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Tolyngee on Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:30 pm

cfitz wrote:
Tolyngee wrote:No, disk is short for diskette...

Both "disk" and "disc" are acceptable variants for the word that describes a flat, circular object, and "disk" is the primary variant for general usage. If you don't believe me, then please believe Messrs. Merriam and Webster:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... ry&va=disk

Sort of. Disk/disc dates back to 1664, as shown on the site. But, it also goes on to show:

4 a : a thin circular object b usually disc : a phonograph record c : a round flat plate coated with a magnetic substance on which data for a computer is stored d usually disc : OPTICAL DISK: as (1) : VIDEODISC (2) : COMPACT DISC

So, it really seems to me to be indirectly stating what I said. When it talks of optical storage (which is the topic of discussion here), it is using "disc." Though, it also says "usually." Why? Because "optical disk" (1980, mind you!) I would bet was an optical disc stored/used in a diskette, which would seem to make "optical disk" now correct.

But, really, if you look at the way everything is worded in that on-line dictionary, it really seem to start contradicting itself.

Our English language is always evolving, but since the stuff dates back to 1980, I'd still say the words have evolved farther to mean different things. At least they do to me.

It's also not a technology dictionary. And you've never known a dictionary to not exactly be accurate?

But, looking at it, every time is mentions a disc on its own, not in any enclosed environment (compact disc vs. floppy diskette), it uses disc.

I'm gonna stick to my thought that they need to update or make clearer what they mean, as the way I have described is the way I have always seen it used, and is the way they basically indirectly define it as well.

cfitz wrote:Don't get me started. Let me guess, star athletes? (Although certainly not all student-athletes are lacking in the "student" area.)

Actually, no, I didn't mean a single Husker in my thought there. I meant the regular local universities. MAYBE UNL (Husker school), dunno...

But I (for example) once spent way too much of my time trying to explain to a post-graduate-educated co-worker when the correct word is "its" and when the correct word is "it's." My writing down the example for her of "it's ignorant not to understand its correct usage" never worked! :roll:

Sometimes people didn't want to tell me where they went to school... :-?

But, really, would you want the first impression you give to a potential employer an error-riddled resume!? Although, considering the actual text, the errors aren't the main issue...

Amazing what some people will say in a cover letter! :o

Can't say anyone has ever suggested I teach English, but have had computers or math suggested. Since I taught myself all I know of both, I would expect the same of the students, so I basically doubt I would have any patience for it... (I always felt these people were mocking me though, but perhaps they were semi-sincere since it's been too many people for me to think they could have all been mockers...)

Been too long since I did any serious work in either though, so it'll never happen... At least though it kept me from getting stuck in base 10 thinking though...

But I have always found it amazing how we can take analog info and present it digitally. Opened a world of imagination to me. :D

My life would be very different to day though if I had only understood as a teenager that what was crystal to me was actually something that seems to be utterly incomprehensible to some.

Though if everyone was strong in the logic area, perhaps the world would be a very dull place to live.

Me and my tangents... Sorry... :(
Tolyngee
CD-RW Thug

Postby Kennyshin on Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:44 am

There are always more to learn about the English language. However, the Korean language is many times more complicated and difficult to learn and use than English. It's so good to be able to search for almost any English word or expression with the help of Google and lots of online dictionaries. I've also had about 20 printed English dictionaries. With Korean, I cannot even be sure whether the spelling is correct. I know less than one out of one hundred Chinese letters while the Korean language is dependent on Chinese.

Back to DVD. Since there are not many people who have used home-recorded DVD disks for more than one year, it may not be easy to find out the truth about the durability of recordable DVD media. So, I'll do what I've done with CD-R: using Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/+R for important data and using cheap Ritek or Princo for everything else.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Tolyngee on Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:45 pm

Kennyshin wrote:Back to DVD. Since there are not many people who have used home-recorded DVD disks for more than one year, it may not be easy to find out the truth about the durability of recordable DVD media. So, I'll do what I've done with CD-R: using Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/+R for important data and using cheap Ritek or Princo for everything else.

Isn't Verbatim trustable with important data? 'Cause their DVD-R is very affordable, so I'm wonderin'.
Tolyngee
CD-RW Thug

Postby Kennyshin on Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:13 pm

Tolyngee wrote:
Kennyshin wrote:Back to DVD. Since there are not many people who have used home-recorded DVD disks for more than one year, it may not be easy to find out the truth about the durability of recordable DVD media. So, I'll do what I've done with CD-R: using Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/+R for important data and using cheap Ritek or Princo for everything else.

Isn't Verbatim trustable with important data? 'Cause their DVD-R is very affordable, so I'm wonderin'.

Yeah. Verbatim, too. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers