Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Is there a *good* packet-writing program out there?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Is there a *good* packet-writing program out there?

Postby Daiwa on Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:24 am

I'm very experienced with computers but have only recently purchased a couple of CD-RW drives, by chance a Yamaha at work and a Norcent drive at home, both of which came bundled with Nero software (slightly different versions). My reason for getting the drives was primarily to do file backup for off-site storage. I haven't run into any problems at work using InCD on the Yamaha drive, but I've only formatted & put into use one CD-RW disc, and we can write to the shared network drive from any workstation without a problem (so far). The home experience is a whole different thing, even though the OS is the same (Win2K SP3). InCD is repeatedly causing BSOD's (see my previous post). In reading through the posts here regarding both Ahead's software and Roxio's DirectCD, it seems both have significant problems. I'd be willing to purchase a different program and dump InCD if I thought doing so wouldn't just move me out of the frying pan & into the fire. Is there any decent, reliable packet-writing software out there that will enable simple drag-drop file copying to CD-RW media? :roll: Thanks very much.
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:36 am

I gather you're using In CD 3.37 it's a known bug in that version.
Revert back to 3.31 or up to the Beta 3.40
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:20 pm

Unfortunately, I've had BSOD's with 3.27.1, 3.32, and 3.37. I've tried to find a D/L link to 3.31 and the only one I've run across (to a file on ftp.nero.com) appears broken - 404's on multiple attempts across several days. :cry:
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Inertia on Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:54 pm

Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:11 pm

Good link Inertia!

Here's a few more if the one above doesn't work:
ftp://stott.feis.herts.ac.uk/pc/softwar ... D331Up.exe

http://www.download.zp.ua/pub/system/ut ... D331Up.exe

Here's a collection of a bunch of earlier versions:
http://www.hellasystems.de/ftp/Software ... ketWriter/
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:27 pm

Thanks to all of you. I'll try 3.31 & report my success or problems in a follow-up post. I appreciate the help. :D
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Daiwa on Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:44 am

Unfortuntely, same problem encountered with 3.31 - BSOD any time I try to format a Memorex brand blank CD-RW disc. This time a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. 3.31 mounts & reads/writes to Great Quality media without any problem. There is no question in my mind now that this is a media-related problem, though why that would be so is unfathomable to me - 4 different InCD versions and the only time BSOD's occur is when using Memorex media. I just saw that 3.51.61 was released today so I'm going to upgrade to that & see if that somehow fixes the problem - if I get a BSOD again trying to format a Memorex disc, I can't see any other explanation but a media-related crash, as illogical as that sounds. :o
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Gimme My Sign: ESO

Postby Daiwa on Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:07 am

I can't believe what a total idiot I am. After installing 3.51.61, I mounted all 3 previously formatted Great Quality discs and ejected them without any problem, decided to format another blank GQ disc as a dry run before trying to format a Memorex disc again. Well, after successfully formatting (which only takes about 15 seconds, BTW) the GQ disc, this version has a new dialog on the first eject of a disc which tells you it needs to write track & session information before ejecting and once I clicked OK the progress bar went to about 5% and I got another BSOD, this time the BAD_POOL_CALLER error. When I went to reformat the same disc, I finally saw what my mind had been blanking out all along - the little message about disc label restrictions. The part about being limited to 11 characters had registered before, but I had just looked right past the part about spaces not being permitted. Naturally, I had put a space in the label of *every* disc I had formatted (not using spaces is just so DOS). For some reason, the GQ discs didn't seem to mind this, while the Memorex discs choked on the space immediately. I have since changed the label names of my GQ discs to remove the spaces and I have been able to format a Memorex disc successfully, though I still had one BSOD during the *pre-eject track & session info write* after formatting once with a corrected label name. It seems to work best if you format a disc twice before ejecting or using it - I even seem to remember there being a message about *format again* in the format dialog of one or more prior versions. From my limited experience to date, it looks like the BSOD's may be avoidable by formatting twice before using or ejecting media. FWIW, confession being allegedly good for the soul.

So, gimme my sign: ESO (Equipment Smarter than Operator). :oops: :roll:
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:13 am

Daiwa wrote:Unfortuntely, same problem encountered with 3.31 - BSOD any time I try to format a Memorex brand blank CD-RW disc. This time a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. 3.31 mounts & reads/writes to Great Quality media without any problem. There is no question in my mind now that this is a media-related problem, though why that would be so is unfathomable to me - 4 different InCD versions and the only time BSOD's occur is when using Memorex media. I just saw that 3.51.61 was released today so I'm going to upgrade to that & see if that somehow fixes the problem - if I get a BSOD again trying to format a Memorex disc, I can't see any other explanation but a media-related crash, as illogical as that sounds. :o

i had problems with InCD, a few versions: 3.32.?, 3.28.0, 3.29.1 at the very least, can't remember if i tried a few more before giving up.

look at this thread:
InCD problem
got the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error message.
was using Verbatim media, no spaces in volume name.

i don't think it's a media problem.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:13 pm

dodecahedron,

After reading the thread with your InCD problem(s), I found that the BSUDF.SYS blue screen error has reported elsewhere causing a blue screen error with InCD. See BSUDF.SYS Blue Screen with InCD.

BSUDF.SYS is a driver for the NEC 7900A burner under Win2000 Pro. See the listing at CDROM-Drivers.com. Did you ever have this burner installed? If this UDF driver is/was on your system, a conflict with InCD is not unexpected as UDF driver conflicts are common. If so, I don't think that InCD could be blamed for this one.

On the other hand, since your error was reported almost 33 years ago, maybe this is no longer a problem. :D
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:37 pm

Daiwa

The BAD_POOL-CALLER error message has been associated with an IomegaWare Installation in Win2000. See also how to debug this error in How to Debug "Stop 0xC2" or "Stop 0x000000C2" Error Messages.

The debugging page for (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) or 0xA (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) has useful information, although rather technical.

Frankly, I have had an unsupported feeling that your new burner may somehow me implicated in your problems. I believe the Norcent is a rebadged BenQ (formerly Acer), which doesn't have the best of burner reputations. This is just an observation, and not a criticism of your burner. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:47 am

Inertia:

Concerning your reply to dedecahedron above, my logs indicate that for my Lite-On LTR-48125W on XP Pro, BSUDF.SYS is installed by InCD 3.31 and 3.51.61. Don't you have it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS? If yes, maybe you'll reconsider whom to blame...
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:32 am

Yes, you're correct. BSUDF.SYS is an InCD driver.

I did a Google search for it which led to CDROM-Drivers.com. On that site it is described as a driver for the NEC 7900A burner.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:10 pm

yes. bsudf.sys is an InCD driver.
my drive is a Plextor PX-W4012A plex 40x.
a friend of mine has an old Yamha (4x/4x/6x???) and also had this file in his system.

thanks very much for your help, and for your trouble in looking for help on the net.
in the meanwhile i've given up on InCD.
after i sort out my comp a bit and back up everyting, i might try again, the latest 3.51.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:56 am

Inertia -

You noticed the date thing, too - Let's Do The Time Warp, Again. Looks like it's fixed now, but my post time is probably still off since I can't remember if I'm GMT plus 7 or minus 7. Oh, well.

I do have a Zip Drive on my system, still connected. I don't use IomegaWare, I've always just done drag-drop file backups with it, but it appears to be installed (been so long I can't remember actually installing it - but must have), though I can't find a specific EXE to do a version check. From my first look at the MSKB article about the IomegaWare BAD_POOL_CALLER error, it looks like just uninstalling IomegaWare may not be enough to eliminate the problem. Is that how you read it or do you think a simple uninstall would likely avoid the BSOD? :-?

Thanks for your interest & help. :D
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Inertia on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:17 am

From my experience, Daiwa, Zip drives and their drivers have been implicated in a lot of burning conflicts. As a test I would try uninstalling all Zip and Iomega related software and physically removing the drive.

If this solves the problem, you don't really need a Zip drive anyway when you have a burner. I removed mine a long time ago and have enjoyed better results without it. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)