Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Read Only File Attribute

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Read Only File Attribute

Postby Robotnik on Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:00 pm

I've been using Nero Express (latest version) to burn CD-R data discs and I notice it keeps setting the file attributes on all the files it writes to Read Only. This means that whenever I copy an archived file back to my hard disk I have to manually reset its file attribute, so it can be written to. Is there anyway to stop Nero from doing this? Roxio EZCD does not seem to this.
Memorex 52Maxx 52/24/52
MSI CR40-A 40x 12x 40x
Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R 2.4/2.4/8 DVDRW, 12/10/32 CDRW
Optorite DD0203
Robotnik
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:08 pm

Sorry, but Nero follows the Yellow Book standard that forces all data written to CDR or CDRW media to have its attributes modified to 'Read-Only'.

Only if you use the InCD or other Packet Writing software will the attributes for files you are writing to CD not be modified.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Vogel on Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:13 pm

The read-only mark is given to the file to alert your operating system that the file can't be written to. When the file is on a CD-R, it can't possibly be modified or written to, hence the read only.
So this is a correct procedure.
When you copy your files back to your hard-disk the properties are not adjusted because the operating system can't tell whether the file could ones be modified or not.

You can select all files and modify the properties in one click

When you want another solution you should try to use somekind of backup-tool. The properties of the file will remain in the back-up.
A problem is that you cant extract one file out of a backupfile. You must extract all.
Last edited by Vogel on Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life's a bitch and then you die.
Vogel
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:13 pm

All CD recording is read only by default due to the specifications and the nature of the medium. Once a CD(R) is completed, it can only be read, and not written. There is no way to change this file attribute.

When the contents of a CD(R) are copied to a hard drive, the file attributes are copied with it.

The read only attributes can be changed en mass in DOS, and it can also be done in Explorer by highlighting all of the directories and files and removing the Read-only attribute in Properties.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:56 pm

Vogel wrote:When you want another solution you should try to use somekind of backup-tool. The properties of the file will remain in the back-up.
A problem is that you cant extract one file out of a backupfile. You must extract all.

or you can archive all the files you want to back up using an archiving program such as winzip, winrar etc., and burn the zip/rar/etc file to CD. then when you copy it back to the hard drive, you can extract the files (all or just some) and the attributes are preserved!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)