Home News Reviews Forums Shop

should i uninstall adaptec plugin from mediaplayer for Nero

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

should i uninstall adaptec plugin from mediaplayer for Nero

Postby batucada on Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:20 am

in order for nero not to conflict with xp pro inbuilt burning software

i found a link to uninstall it here

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

anyone tried it??

thanks

michael
batucada
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:29 am

Michael,

I think you are being overcautious. Just install Nero - it shouldn't have any problems. You are more likely to break something by performing that "unsupported hack" than by simply installing Nero.

Relax, have a beer, install Nero and enjoy your new drive (not necessarily in that order). :wink: :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: should i uninstall adaptec plugin from mediaplayer for N

Postby KCK on Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:02 pm

To batucada:

Apparently the link you posted doesn't show how to uninstall the Adaptec/Roxio plugin for WMP 8.0, i.e, the built-in WMP of XP. I don't know if it's doable. BTW, there are conflicting opinions whether disabling the IMAPI service is really necessary for Nero.

To cfitz:

It would be good if some experts shared their knowledge about possible incompatibility issues between Nero/InCD and the Adaptec/Roxio WMP plugin. There is a long history of conflicts on earlier OSes, the status on XP is unclear at least to me, and may be changing quickly with newer versions (I'm definitely not happy about MS forced updates).

Nero itself works fine for me, but I wonder if my InCD problems are not related to MS "critical patches" that can't be avoided...
KCK
CD-RW Player

Re: should i uninstall adaptec plugin from mediaplayer for N

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:15 pm

KCK wrote:It would be good if some experts shared their knowledge about possible incompatibility issues between Nero/InCD and the Adaptec/Roxio WMP plugin. There is a long history of conflicts on earlier OSes, the status on XP is unclear at least to me, and may be changing quickly with newer versions

Well, you are aware that InCD has had some problems with some versions on XP that seem to be solved (your case excepted) with the latest release. I haven't read any speculation that these errors were related to the WMP plugin. And I've definitely not heard of any general problems with Nero Burning ROM itself on XP.

KCK wrote:(I'm definitely not happy about MS forced updates).

You are not alone there.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby batucada on Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:02 pm

thanks again for the help

when i metioned nero software (i meant the whole bundle that i got with my drive which does include InCD program.

my concern was peaked by two posts on the subject by Ian:

@ http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2999

"You go to Add Remove Programs and choose media player 7.1.

This will start up the installer and ask you what components you want to uninstall. Choose the Adaptec one and go from there. Let me know if you have any questions"

then went on to say in next post (same thread):

"I just uninstalled the plugin. I don't burn from Media Player anyway.

I have had some problems with InCD 3.xx. Especially the later versions. Removing that plugin has helped a lot."

to cfitz: i know i am being overcautious, and i appreciate your time; youve answered all of my ???. just been through too many uninstalls and troubleshooting, wanted to get it right the first time to save aggravation.

windows seems very concerned with the order that things are done in order to work properly; and if i do have problems, uninstalling seems to leave stuff all over my drive to potentially conflict with current or future software

to kck:

the link i posted is relevant to me (forgot to mention that i have mediaplayer 9 latest release cantidate installed) which it does have a run command to delete the adaptec software. because i had burning problems with my last cdrw drive i tried mp9, to see if it would fix my problems but it did not) i normally dont use beta stuff but wanted to avoid having to have to buy a new burner

in a way i guess it is a convoluted way to get rid of the adaptec software since i couldnt find any instruct for removal of it for mediaplayer 8 (just 7 & 9)
that was not the original intention, but hey

im also thinking that mp auto update will just try to reinstall the adaptec . there is also a reg hack at the same site just below the adaptec removal instruct, to permantly disable it from being reinstalled. anyone out there try it?

also the comments made by Ian are from jan 1 1970 (real dates would help me with figuring if things might have been potentially fixed from a particular date)

cfitz you mentioned that some InCd probs were fixed with some ver of xp? do you think that maybe these reg hacks are unnecessary if i have sp1 (ie the problems were fixed in the update)?

thanks

michael
batucada
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:36 pm

To batucada:

Your linked thread could be quite old (the dates were reset to Jan 01, 1970 when the forum software changed). Since WMP 7.1 is mentioned, I guess Win 98, 98SE or ME was involved; for these OSes the Adaptec plugin should (and can be) removed before installing Nero.

As for uninstalls, I was amazed at the amount of thrash left by Nero in the XP Pro registry and in Program Files (it seemed fairly harmless though, mostly being related to Nero's Cover Designer).

For now, we must live with WMP 8 on XP, but I'm staying away from WMP 9 (I bet Ahead will be kicked into addressing these issues when more people start using WMP 9).

I don't believe SP1 fixed any Nero/InCD issues. Both before and after SP1 I didn't have any problems with InCD 3.31 on my XP Pro box (I don't know what killed my EasyWriteReader some time ago). So if you are cautious, you may start with InCD 3.31. Otherwise join the crowd with InCD 3.51.61, but see may warnings about old CD-MRW discs in other threads.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:42 am

batucada wrote:when i metioned nero software (i meant the whole bundle that i got with my drive which does include InCD program.

On Ahead's web site they list Nero Burning Rom and InCD as separate products, and they also install as separate products on all the Nero CDs I have used, so that is the way I think of them. I should have realized many/most people lump them together as one product. Sorry about that.

batucada wrote:cfitz you mentioned that some InCd probs were fixed with some ver of xp? do you think that maybe these reg hacks are unnecessary if i have sp1 (ie the problems were fixed in the update)?

My English wasn't clear. I was trying to say that some versions of InCD had problems on XP, while others didn't. Specifically, 3.31 worked okay on XP, 3.37 gave lots of problems on XP, and 3.51.61 seems to be working okay again on XP for most people (KCK excepted). I wasn't trying to say that there is some version of XP that works well with any/all versions of InCD.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:32 am

To cfitz:

I wouldn't worry if InCD 3.51.61 worked for most people except me. But so far there is little evidence that it does work (most people say it's great because it formatted their first CD-MRW disc quickly); a Google search reveals some bad news when more careful testing is done. So let's hope more people report more serious tests...
KCK
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)