Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New Cray X1 Supercomputer: 52.5 TeraFlops & 65.5 TB RAM

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Should CDRLabs switch its hardware test system from an Athlon/Windows to a Cray X1?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 12

New Cray X1 Supercomputer: 52.5 TeraFlops & 65.5 TB RAM

Postby Boone on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:01 am

Everyone read up on the latest supercomputer from everyone's favorite supercomputer company, Cray! It can scale up to 4,096 processors and 65.5 TeraBytes of Rambus RDRAM. The fully loaded system will be cranking through 52.5 TeraFlops. That's like a lot and stuff.

http://www.cray.com/products/systems/x1/

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=cray+x1&sa=N&tab=wn
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:45 pm

Yeah, I'd need to add an extra garage just to house that bitch.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:05 pm

What OS does the Cray run?
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:07 pm

Hey! Who voted no??!?!? :x :wink: We should have nothing but the finest for CDRLabs! :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:08 pm

I voted no. I don't believe all the hype. Heck, I'd vote for a 386 Linux machine over a Cray Supercomputer!
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:21 pm

TheWizard wrote:I voted no. I don't believe all the hype. Heck, I'd vote for a 386 Linux machine over a Cray Supercomputer!

Actually I was a bit surprised to hear that Cray was still around. I thought they had fallen on hard times, with their super-expensive products being too quickly overtaken by things such as massive arrays of 386's running Linux (well, maybe not 386's, but you get the idea).

Still, I'm disappointed in you, Wizard, not wanting the latest and greatest. :wink: Are you getting conservative on us? Besides, not believing hype?? Why... that's downright un-American! :wink: Are you trying to put the boys of Madison Avenue out of business?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Boone on Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:24 am

My last Cray paycheck was dated Nov. 5, 2002, so I'm pretty sure we're still around. :x

People who don't "buy into the hype" are misinformed. If you'd like an intelligent conversation on what clusters are good at and what they aren't good at, I'm all for it. If you'd rather troll, that's up to you.

Boone
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:42 am

btw, Cray X1 runs UNICOS, which is a Unix version of the Cray Operating System (UniCOS). It looks and acts like Unix, but it works on the Cray Instruction Set. The hardware is totally custom (vector/scalar processors, memory interface, network), but it used Rambus RDRAM.

The Red Storm project ( http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news- ... storm.html ) uses AMD Opteron processors, but it hasn't been announced what OS it will run.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:26 am

Boone wrote:My last Cray paycheck was dated Nov. 5, 2002, so I'm pretty sure we're still around. :x

People who don't "buy into the hype" are misinformed. If you'd like an intelligent conversation on what clusters are good at and what they aren't good at, I'm all for it. If you'd rather troll, that's up to you.

Boone

Easy, Boone. I wasn't trolling or attacking you or your employer. I didn't even know you work for Cray. As it happens, I was the first to vote in your poll (even before you did, assuming that you have), and I voted "yes, upgrade the CDRLabs test bed." I was also the one who chastised (in a joking manner) the first anonymous poster who voted "no". And finally I’m the one who characterized the system you linked as "the latest and greatest".

This is the Beer Garden. I thought we were allowed to have light-hearted fun in here.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KuoH on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:17 am

PalmOS or WinCE, take your pick. :wink:

KuoH

TheWizard wrote:What OS does the Cray run?
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby Boone on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:02 am

I was actually responding to thewizard. Comparing a multi-million dollar computer to a 386 isn't light hearted fun! grrr...

:evil:
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:10 am

Boone wrote:I was actually responding to thewizard. Comparing a multi-million dollar computer to a 386 isn't light hearted fun! grrr...

:evil:

Sorry. Since I was the one who mentioned clusters and a bit of surprise that Cray is still around (both of which you addressed in your reply), I thought you were replying to me.

By the way, my surprise comes because I thought Cray Research was merged into SGI back in 1996. I didn't know they had been spun back off again.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Colonel Panic on Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:48 am

Boone wrote:The Red Storm project ( http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news- ... storm.html ) uses AMD Opteron processors, but it hasn't been announced what OS it will run.

Running Winblows XP....and all 4,096 processors and 65.5 TeraBytes of Ram, spitting out a Blue Screen of Death, at the rate of what? 52.5 teraflops! *lol*

Hey....my system itself spits out a few glops....like 7 or something I believe...so I can't export it. But then again, I'd never give up my G4....well... maybe for a dual processor one. 8)
Fight the Future. Visit http://www.apple.com
Colonel Panic
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:00 pm

I say switch, but only if I can play Doom 3 on it :)
Maybe THAT system can play that game at a decent frame rate...
glock20rocks

Postby Boone on Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:19 pm

Yeah, SGI sold the Cray Research "assets" (meaning us employees and stuff) to Tera Computer Company, makers of the MTA (Multi-Threaded Architecture, similar to P4's HyperThreading but on a *much* larger scale), who promptly renamed themselves Cray Inc. So here we are!

Col. Panic: your G4 has a small vector unit in the CPU as well, and it's called "AltiVec". Too bad the memory bandwidth isn't great enough to sustain it. It's great for bursting things through there, but main memory can't keep it going. It's like having a large drain on your bathtub, and a small water nozzle. You can stop up the drain and fill up the tub, but once you start draining the water nozzle isn't fast enough to keep it filled and it eventually drains.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:49 pm

Aren't there two Cray companies? Cray Research and Cray Computer?
I thought that Seymore Cray quit and started the other Cray company?

And, um, have any of the Cray people tried loading some games on one of their supercomputers :) Hmm..Unreal 2K3, 2048x2048, 1,000,000 FPS :)
glock20rocks

Postby TheWizard on Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:58 pm

Damn blokes! This is the Beer Garden, it's supposed to be about fun and laughter! If you seriously think I have a beef against Cray as opposed to a 386 Linux machine then you are crazy! I was merely playing. :)

Apparently Boone didn't find it funny, but my only response to that is...I can't please everyone all the time. This is the forum where I can have fun, as opposed to the other forums which have been infiltrated by LiteOn Sucks and his meaningless dribble.

And to answer your question, glock20rocks, http://www.cray.com/company/history.html has a pretty good recount of the history, including Seymour Cray's role in the whole thing here http://www.cray.com/company/seymourcray.html
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby eFrisky on Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:52 pm

Boone, it's a very cool thing that you're employed by Cray; a lot of computer geeks, I am sure, would give their left arm to work for them.!

Is there even the remotest possibility that you can give us an idea of how fast any of the Cray systems can crank through a SETI@home work unit? I'm not sure if there's a client for a Cray system, I can only hope hehe! Better still ask someone to install the client and see for yourself :)

This would be interesting to know, as personally I have seen the performance difference it makes on a ordinary PC system, if you increase the FSB speed a notch or two, for processing a SETI work unit...
eFrisky
Buffer Underrun

Return to The Beer Garden