Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem with Sony DRU-500A DataDisks

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Problem with Sony DRU-500A DataDisks

Postby Vertrider on Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:41 pm

Hi...

I bought the Sony DRU-500A DVD writer two days ago.

Only one big problem: Not a single Data-DVD I have burned with Record Now and the DRU-500A can be read in other DVD-Drives I have tested. They can only be read in the DRU-500A itself.

I tried HP DVD-R media as well as the bundled Sony DVD-RW.

The system is a Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB RAM, Win2000 (SP1), Record Now (didn't have time yet, to update Nero). The DRU-500A is master on a IDE PCI Card.

Question is also: If I have bought the drive 2 days ago, do I need to upgrade firmware? And how can I check, which firmware it has?

Thanks for any help.

Christoph
VertRider
Vertrider
Buffer Underrun

Postby sonyman on Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:15 pm

I would definately get the firmware upgrade. It resolves many conflicts with certain media. Just because you got your drive 2 days ago doesn't mean that the flash EEPROM was flashed 2 days ago. The firmware updater will tell you what firmware your drive is using. It can be downloaded here: http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/downloads/dru500a/FirmwareUpdateDRU500A.zip

The bundled Sony disc is DVD+RW which is in my experience the least compatible of all DVD media.

-Scott
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
1024MB PC3700 DDR @400MHz CL2
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sony DRU-500A
Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x32x52
sonyman
CD-RW Thug

Firmware Update

Postby Vertrider on Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:59 am

Thanks for your help.

I've got the FW update and will now get Nero in the latest Version.
VertRider
Vertrider
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:56 pm

I would agree with Sonyman. I have the Sony drive with the upgrade. I have burned several DVD's with it and other drives, including my stand alone Panasonic RV30 (which is terribly fussy) drive, could read all of them.

Good luck with it......
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

SONY DRU-500

Postby Vertrider on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:22 pm

Hi!

Problem resolved. I was very stupid. I have burned DVD+RW's and DVD+R's and was in fact wondering, why my DVD-R CD-ROM drive wouldn't read it.

Well it can't. It is only supposed to read DVD-R's and won't read other formats...

In the meantime I have burned several Sony DVD-Rs (DMR47) with upgraded Nero and my DVD-Drive can read it without any problems.

Thanks for the help,
Christoph
VertRider
Vertrider
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:07 pm

I don't know what kind of a drive you are using but my A06 reads DVD's of either format. So do my Panasonic DV-30 and my Apex AD-5131. Once it is a DVD it should not make any difference if it was made with a -R format or a +R format........

Maybe you are talking about "CD's" in that case I don't deal with those very often so that may be a different issue. I don't know what a DVD -R CD-Rom is. I thought most DVD drives would also read CD's. Mine does. Anyway I am glad you got it resolved so easily.

Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

DVD+R in DVD-ROM Drive

Postby Vertrider on Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:00 pm

Hi...

No, I was talking about DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-R and DVD+R which I burned as Data-CDs.

I use both a DVD-ROM that came OEM with my Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo PC and a LG Electronics DVD-ROM Drive (DRD-8160B).

On the Box of the LG it says:
Compatible Formats:
- DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Dual, and a lot of different CD Formats.

So, when I put in a DVD+R into that drive, or a DVD+RW and it can't read it, this now sounds logical to me.

I don't know about the OEM Fujitsu Drive, but it can and cannot read the same stuff, the LG does.

So my problem described in the upper threads was, that I tried to feed the Fujitsu and the LG Electronics with my self burned DVD+R and DVD+RW (Data)-discs, which they obviously are not able to read.

This also happened, because the salesman that sold me the Sony Writer gave me DVD+R and DVD+RW media. I was not informed that DVD-R were cheaper at that time.

Only once a time the day before yesterday the Fujitsu OEM DVD-ROM displayed the contents of a Sony DVD+RW, but it never did that again, as often as I tried to repeat that event the last days with the same disc.

However, I am fine now. I can make backups of my huge Video and Data-Files (I work as a Sports-Photographer and do independent Snowboard- and Mountainbike-Sports Videos), get space back on my Big Firewire and Ultra-ATA Discs, and that's exactly what I wanted.

Production of my own promotional DVD-Video CDs is a different story, I'll try in a next life ;o)

Cheers
VertRider
Vertrider
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers