Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Troubles with my Acer 52x speed cd-rom

How fast is too fast?

Troubles with my Acer 52x speed cd-rom

Postby topgun on Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:52 pm

Hey guys if someone could tell me what could be the reason that my cdrom does not read any cds. All it says is please insert disk into drive E:\
But there is already a disk in there :(
I think it has gone like this from a firmware update I did for my cd-burner which has probably effected the function of my cd-rom.
All responses would be greatly appreciated.
topgun
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:56 pm

I don't know why a firmware update for your CD-RW would affect your CD-ROM. But if you think this might be the case, then try removing the CD-RW from your system and see how the CD-ROM drive does by itself.

What does the device manager say about your CD-ROM drive?

Have you tried various discs and media in the CD-ROM drive, including pressed discs and CD-R discs?

Have your drive letters been rearranged, and what you think is drive E is no longer what Windows thinks is drive E?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: Troubles with my Acer 52x speed cd-rom

Postby vxd*.* on Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:01 am

[quote="topgun"]Hey guys if someone could tell me what could be the reason that my cdrom does not read any cds. All it says is please insert disk into drive E:\
But there is already a disk in there :(
I think it has gone like this from a firmware update I did for my cd-burner which has probably effected the function of my cd-rom.
All responses would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If the first suggestion does not work-check your jumper settings.
If they are proper-reboot to safe mode, remove both drives, reboot and let windows pick them up. Windows should automatically give them the proper default drives.
If not-give the CD-ROM it's own IDE on secondary, and set the jumper to cable select.
Good Luck.
vxd*.*
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives