Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Lite-On VS. Plextor

Burn baby burn!

Lite-On VS. Plextor

Postby craiger on Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:25 pm

Which CD Burner is better? Would Plextor's 48x24x48x be better than Lite-On's 52x24x52x? I know the speed is faster with Lite-On's drive but would Plextor's drive last longer? Is Plextor stopping at 48x? Sorry, I still can't make up my mind if I want just a cd burner or a combo drive. Anyone know if Plextor is going to make a 48x24x48x/16x combo drive?
craiger

Re: Lite-On VS. Plextor

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:55 pm

Which CD Burner is better? Would Plextor's 48x24x48x be better than Lite-On's 52x24x52x?

>>Read the reviews and decide which is best for your needs.

I know the speed is faster with Lite-On's drive but would Plextor's drive last longer?

>>Thats questionable with Plextor changing to a belt system. Only time will tell. Of course how many Plextor fan-atics are going to say that their Plextor broke and they had to RMA it? :wink:

Is Plextor stopping at 48x?

>>Supposedly 48x will be the fastest writing speed they'll offer.

Anyone know if Plextor is going to make a 48x24x48x/16x combo drive?

>>No idea. If the market demand is there, Plextor will offer a product.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby coolestnitish on Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:58 pm

The plextor will provide pretty good quality burns. But frankly speaking, they are not worth the money. The LiteOn 52x has some pretty good quality burns.
Drives such as Yamaha and Plextor don't concentrate on the speed race that much. It really depends on your personal needs when you make such a decision. I have heard Plextor's aren't very good with Copy-Protection.
The LiteOn would be faster, cheaper, almost same quality and they will have more firmware updates than Plextor, which means a lot of media compatibility. :lol:
As per the combo, Ian said something recently in a thread about a 48x/16x. I think it was a Samsung.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby Raz0rX on Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:17 pm

There are always the cheaper ones and the very expensive ones. Computer hardware changes rapidly. Also, the cheaper ones will operate almost the same as the expensive ones but maybe the parts in the expensive drives are slightly better.
DJ Doboy

There are appoximately 5% male registered nurse in Canada as of 2001!
Raz0rX
CD-RW Player

Postby cdrfreak2003 on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:44 pm

is plexor and liteon a good company for a cdrw??
cd-r freak
cdrfreak2003
CD-RW Thug

Postby BoGMan1a on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:56 pm

Hey, in the unlikely event that your Liteon doesn't outlast your present box, get another. I mean, with deals putting these drives at less than half the price of Plextors and Yamahas, and dropping, it really isn't much of fight if you ask me. And if you lose your Plextor or Yamaha, after your year of warranty is up, you will still be shelling out some dough. Just check out Pricewatch for a 24x Plextor or Yamaha deal and see what I mean.
Main Computer:
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon XP2500
1Gb PC3200
6600GT AGP
BENQ 1620
NEC 3500AG
Lite-on 52246S
Lite-on LTC-48161H
1 Tb of internal HDD space
750+ Gb external storage
Dual Boot Win2000Pro/XP Home
BoGMan1a
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:02 pm

cdrfreak2003 wrote:is plexor and liteon a good company for a cdrw??

Lite-On and Plextor are two of the top manufacturers in the CD-RW industry. Lite-On is highly regarded within the computer industry and many companies use Lite-On drives in their products. Many companies like TDK, Sony, Cendyne, BUSlink, Dell, and etc., all use Lite-On drives in their products. Plextor is quite pricey, so I would go with Lite-On if you want the best bang for your buck.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Re: Lite-On VS. Plextor

Postby Telstar on Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:00 am

craiger wrote:...Sorry, I still can't make up my mind if I want just a cd burner or a combo drive. Anyone know if Plextor is going to make a 48x24x48x/16x combo drive?

If you are concerned about the cost and willing to take some risks, then check out the newegg.com for their refurbished items. You can usually get a Lite-On DVD rom for $25 and a Lite-On 48X burner for $40. I got a TEAC CD-W540E for $35 a few weeks ago. If you don't want to take any risks, you can keep waiting until DVD burners take over and then all CD burners will be worth next to nothing. :wink:
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives